A Little Help Needed To Evaluate Trichomes

Hi All,
I've got a Blueberry Muffin clone growing outdoors. It's been in flower for about 8 weeks now and seems to be getting close to harvest, but I'm just not sure yet. Your opinions would be appreciated. The hairs seem to be maybe 50% brown, and the trichs are all over the map -- a mixture of clear, milky, amber and purple. Here's some pics...

Great work. If you like less "couch lock" you could harvest now. If you want more sedation, go another week. Or do both--take some down now & then take some down later. Decide which works best for you & use the knowledge for your next harvest (I now take everything down earlier than I used to because I like less sedation, but every body is different.)

Being outside, the earlier you chop the less chance of bud rot, too.

Really beautiful work, that's a lovely plant. Be sure to post a smoke report.

I do prefer a somewhat active (daytime) high, without the sedative "couch lock". I'm thinking that I will flush now and harvest in a week and a half or so. Hopefully, I didn't wait too long. Really tricky to tell what percentage of the trichs are still clear vs milky. I wasn't expecting the trichs to turn purple either, but maybe common to this strain (blueberry).

Man @Kingjoe83 what’s to be stuck all day. Remind me of my gorilla glue it was super sticky. I have a 5 year old girl. She was helping with gardening and got super sticky glue on her lol. And her fingers was sticking to everything

Man @Kingjoe83 what’s to be stuck all day. Remind me of my gorilla glue it was super sticky. I have a 5 year old girl. She was helping with gardening and got super sticky glue on her lol. And her fingers was sticking to everything
Yo you killed it with that Brooklyn auto bro ✊

I do prefer a somewhat active (daytime) high, without the sedative "couch lock". I'm thinking that I will flush now and harvest in a week and a half or so. Hopefully, I didn't wait too long. Really tricky to tell what percentage of the trichs are still clear vs milky. I wasn't expecting the trichs to turn purple either, but maybe common to this strain (blueberry).
If you're concerned about waiting to long & you like a somewhat active high, it doesn't make a lot of sense to go 1.5 weeks longer.

But I suggest you consider harvesting a single cola now & curing it properly, then compare it with what you harvest to later. If the earlier harvest isn't to your liking, you're not out much, but if you end up liking it better, you'll have learned something.

There's absolutely no question that the high from a grow gets more sedative with time.

I've learned that peak strength from a grow does not equal the best buzz for me. I harvest everything slightly early because it makes indicas less sedative & makes sativas more trippy.

This is also why I generally avoid dispensary weed: it's grown for peak strength, not the best buzz.

Regardless of proclivities I urge you to try a few things with your grow as learning experiment. Can't learn from what you don't try.

Excellent advice regarding the harvest timing -- thanks. The only reason for waiting 1.5 weeks was to give the plant a good flush. How crucial do you think flushing is?

I don't think flushing is particularly critical, but that doesn't mean I'm right.

That said, I do tail off on nutes during the last few weeks of bloom as just a practical matter.

The following is from another site, but it's got some very sound points regarding flushing & why the practice probably makes little sense.

(By YarraSparra)
I will list some points that not only challenge the absurd impracticality and illogicality of this myth, but point out how the pseudoscience behind it is fundamentally flawed (as is all pseudoscience) and can be countered by what is known about basic plant biology.

Robbing plants of essential nutrients at any stage of their life cycle is NOT beneficial for growth. I challenge anyone to provide a single peer reviewed paper from a reputable journal that provides evidence suggesting otherwise.

If this was practical, wouldn’t you expect all big agricultural hydroponic growers adopt the same practice?

Plants take minerals into their tissues, from their roots via the treachery elements; i.e. xylem. Once these minerals are in the plant, they are there to stay, the plant does not expel them, unless it’s through senescence-driven abscission of leaf petioles. From the treachery elements nutrients are translocated into the phloem - the plant’s ‘blood supply’ - after being integrated into various biomolecules, or are used for various metabolic functions. Where is the logic in thinking the plant ‘uses’ these up in that last week of flushing, in order to avoid smoking them? All the N P K Fe Mg Ca etc. is still there.

For arguments sake say we counter the last point by suggesting these minerals in their ‘raw form’ will taste ‘hasher’ or ‘nastier’ in the form of pyrolytic breakdown products (formed when weed is burned) than artifacts of larger biomolecules of which these minerals/macro nutrients are now a part of, for example phosphorylated PO43-. Even if this was the case it still doesn’t correlate with the myth, as the transports steam in the treachery elements is measured in minutes not a week. i.e. a PO43- molecule does not wait around in these vessels for a week before subsequent translocation and modification.

If there was any truth to this myth, then plants grown in soil would always taste worse than plants grown in hydro. Why? Because obviously soil is not an inert medium you can flush for a week. And a plant CANNOT distinguish between a PO43- molecule that comes from soil from that of a PO43- molecule that comes from hydro solution (which also debunks another myth, but we’ll leave that one).

Are there studies that have conducted double blind trials to investigate if flushed weed tastes any ‘sweeter’ than unflushed weed. Again, need peer reviewed papers. And doesn’t have to be weed, can be strawberries or any other type of fruit.

What is the proposed mechanism to support this myth, and how is it consistent with fundamental plant biology.

How does starving the plant of food in the last week increase thc production in the trichome? Papers?

Given, under certain conditions stressed plants upregulate certain defence compounds, but they will almost certainly produce less inflorescence weight per watt of light. Growth is always retarded under stress - not promoted. Nutrient starvation is a form of stress. Looking for peer reviewed papers that suggest otherwise.

Those of you set in your ways, each to their own and best of luck to you. Those who are willing to change their views in light of new evidence, or lack thereof, be ready for increased yields by feeding those hungry ladies right up until the second you chop.

If you want a little Better smoke and THC content do not water them for about at least 4 to 7 days before cutting them down this gives the plan a chance to use up all of the nutrients left in the stems and fan leaves The buds suck it all in make way better smoke

I have blue berry Hindu Kush going lsd25 and tangerine dream. Also. Now.
Sorry blueberry x Hindu Kush or blueberry, and Hindu Kush eithier way both of those two are thumbs up where’d you get beans from ?

Soil should be flushed out for 10-14 days

Why I think is salts and sulphers ??

Dwc or coco flush 2 days to none

My info I got for flushing minus the reasons why but I think you want to push out all the nutrients and flushes last few weeks is what will push your flowers to over drive as well.
Flush out yukky stuff in medium too ?

But I suggest you consider harvesting a single cola now & curing it properly, then compare it with what you harvest to later. If the earlier harvest isn't to your liking, you're not out much, but if you end up liking it better, you'll have learned something.
I think I will indeed harvest a cola or two now (after about 5 days flush) and then complete the flush before harvesting the rest. This might give me a good bit of personal info on whether I can tell the difference in taste and high.

I think I will indeed harvest a cola or two now (after about 5 days flush) and then complete the flush before harvesting the rest. This might give me a good bit of personal info on whether I can tell the difference in taste and high.
Great idea.

I've done the comparison with cuts separated by about 2 weeks.

But don't rush the cure--lotsa good info on how to do it on this board.

& let us know how it works out. Both cuts oughta be great, just different. Those are fantastic looking buds. Great work!:goodjob:

Great work. If you like less "couch lock" you could harvest now. If you want more sedation, go another week. Or do both--take some down now & then take some down later. Decide which works best for you & use the knowledge for your next harvest (I now take everything down earlier than I used to because I like less sedation, but every body is different.)

Being outside, the earlier you chop the less chance of bud rot, too.

Really beautiful work, that's a lovely plant. Be sure to post a smoke report.

Lurveley. I'd wait a few days but you cannot lose if you chop now. IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom