A Micro Grower's Clone & Seedling Box & Cloning Efforts

BTzGrow

So I have a current grow going from a single seed and have not idea what I'm going to get. Supposedly it's Skywalker OG. Anyway I was checking some youtube vids out and stumbled across a couple on how to use cloning to do early sexing. The idea comes with making a cutting and pushing it into flower state ASAP. So I needed a Light Tight Box to do that as well as materials to complete the mission.

I started with a 45 Gallon Sterilite Storage Tote. I already had a 2foot 2bulb T-5 Sunblaze fixture. So I bought a propagation tray and a tray with a 7' hood and proceeded to put things together.

First was the Storage Tote. I found a deal for a 45 gallon tote at Target for under $19. Add in a product called Refelxtix in the 16' x 25' roll for under $17 and I'm seeing a plan pull together. Another purchase for the project was the 3M contact cement for under $6 on Amazon. Roll on the scissors and completion.
IMG_261122.jpg
IMG_261224.jpg

Now the tricky part was mounting the T-5 double bulb 2 foot long fixture in a way that might allow for adjustment is height and distance from the growing surface.
IMG_261324.jpg
IMG_261427.jpg

In the end a fine piece of work if I do say so myself. I did have to pull out my impact drill and a couple of drill bits to make some opening for the power cord to go through the plastic. As you might note, the hanging wires for the light have their own holes also, which I have covered with a nice towel to block out any future light leaks.

Onward and upward with the cloning process.
I went with the complete Clonex Propagation System.
I started with the Clonex Rooting Gel, Cloning Mist, and Clone Solution
First I prepared a one pint bottle of water with 5ml of the Cloning Solution. I soaked the Root Riot plugs growing medium in some of the Cloning Solution, then squeezed out.
Made my cuts as per videos on the subject and soaked in the Clonex Rooting Gel for a 3-5 minute period. Then plugged into the Growing Medium.
Spritz with the Clones Misting solution. Placed into the Tray with a Dome and placed into the above mentioned Cloning Box. By the way I feel this cloning box will make an excellent seedling germination and initial starter box. I figure I can Veg in it for at least 3-4 weeks under the T-5, potentially multiple plants which as I move them out of the box, I'm hoping to make some clone cuttings to place into early sexing flowering stage.
IMG_262225.jpg
IMG_262320.jpg

I figured that wasn't extremely necessary in the moment. With the clones fairly well sealed inside the propagation tray with a 7" dome. How much fresh are would it need. I'm planing on opening several times a day to spray with the Clonex Mist which will require opening the dome. In addition the clone box itself will be open during that time.

I do get that as I move this box into a early veg box that a small computer cooling fan mounted on the inside that also has variable speed will make sure the plants that aren't under a dome receive fresh air, will actually have to create an exit point for the air or there will be no new fresh are coming in. All this will working towards making sure that it remains light tight for those dark times. Of course, some have said early veg can be a 24/7 process.

I would appreciate your input if you feel I might need an additional air flow into the box at this time. It's really not an issue more than an engineering process. After all I really am a very new entry into this process, and learning is the way I roll.

OK, I must have read this wrong:

By the way I feel this cloning box will make an excellent seedling germination and initial starter box. I figure I can Veg in it for at least 3-4 weeks under the T-5, potentially multiple plants which as I move them out of the box, I'm hoping to make some clone cuttings to place into early sexing flowering stage.

Good luck:thumb:

OK, I must have read this wrong:

By the way I feel this cloning box will make an excellent seedling germination and initial starter box. I figure I can Veg in it for at least 3-4 weeks under the T-5, potentially multiple plants which as I move them out of the box, I'm hoping to make some clone cuttings to place into early sexing flowering stage.

Good luck:thumb:
Well, you might have not read anything wrong, I did say I thought the box would make a great initial starter box and like many things in my life, this was also a trial and error thing. First off I never would have believed that the T5 2bulb 2foot fixture would generate as much heat as it does. But then again it does use about 5watts and is completely at this point enclosed with no ventilation. The heating pad I purchases completely not required, Until this current cloning project is done the box needs to be cracked open at least an inch just to release the extreme heat. I will have to figure and engineer an exhaust fan into the lid, thinking of a USB powered variable speed computer cooling fan. Additionally a few small air input holes to allow fresh cooler air in for any thing in the box to not cook and wilt. Thanks for your input,

Well, five days into my first cloning project and the clone box closed with a T-5 fixture and all of that Refelxtix and I have quite an Oven! Having to leave the Tote Box lid open most of the hours of the day, just to keep the internal temp sane.

After feeding and spraying and trimming off the wilted leaves it appears that I have hopefully one of my three clone samples surviving my torture in the oven. Feeding with my Clonex Clone Solution (Clone and Seedling Nutrient) with an eye dropper once a day and spritzing with the Clonex Mist once a day to assist in not drying out is my regime. If the sample continues to show improvement tomorrow, I will switch over the T-5 Veg Blubs to Flower Bulbs and cut the light time down to 12/12. The idea is to try and force into flower stage to see what sex my main plant is, before sending it into flower.

It may seem a bit of a waste of time, but the idea of waiting several weeks only to find out that that seed you hung the moon on turned out being a male is really a waste of time. I waited and came across this idea 2 months after starting my initial seed germination on Dec. 3, 17. Here I'm almost at the end of February and still don't know the sex of my primary on only plant in my tent.

I'm almost ready to flip my primary plant within the next week to 10 days, however I could have taken clones samples much earlier and found out at least a month ago what the sex was, theoretically. So this Clone Box is really a test idea for future needs as I like the idea of starting from photo seeds(especially the free ones).

Final note on the success of failure of the box. As a seedling box the idea is an awesome idea. The box generated a huge amount of heat, perfect for germinating. With variable speed air flow the temp will be very easy I think to control. I have found a Digital Thermostat control on Amazon for under $10 that turns off once a set temp is reached.

With appropriate temp control and light control this box will make a perfect initial veg box. My first plant started out in a very small plastic pot and was moved into a quart pot at about three weeks. Stayed in that pot for another couple of weeks, under very close proximity of the T-5 fixture. There is no reason it needs to be taking up space in a tent during that time, and potentially could create some clone shoots later during that initial grow time. Even multiple plants could be in the box and even be sample cloned for sexing.

Germination could be started when the tent plant/plants are initially flipped to the flower stage or shortly afterwards. So after drying the now early (hopefully Sexed) semi veg plants from the Grow Box can now be taken directly into the tent and start getting full LED light treatment. Having saved the time time in the box will not be wasted time in the tent. If you get my drift.

Time will tell, will keep you posted on the success of failure of this experiment. Peace Out and Abide!

Then there were two!
It would seem that I now have successfully created two clones that in the moment are living and appear strong. Cutting out the Clonex Mist, as I understand that is a supplement until roots begin to form and take in moisture. So just a small 1ml dropper of Clones Clone Solution each day.

I'm really not believing my luck on this project/experiment. It would appear that the third smallest most tiny cutting I took is standing straight up and looking somewhat happy.
Additionally the other two appear to actually have some sort of growth sprouting out the middle on the top. Very encouraging.
I'm rather sure that using the Clonex System was very responsible for my success to this point. So I'm continuing to feed an eyedropper of Cloning Solution in about the 1ml amount daily at this point. Now all I have to do is remember where in the hell I put those two T5 bloom/flowering bulbs I hid away somewhere and do a flip perhaps tomorrow. Then I can hopefully tell in a short time what sex my primary plant is.

Success! One of my clones is now showing roots out the bottom and sides of the Root Riot Sponge Plug. It's the middle one in the picture above. So I will continue for another day to two to see if I can get the one on the right to also show roots, then transplant into 6inch pots and return to the box for some more grow times. Still haven't found the Flower T5 Bulbs I hide from myself. Am considering flipping the main plant these came from over the weekend and see what sex it is. If it turns out to be female then these will be staying in the box for the period of flowering through harvest and drying. If I run out of room I have a couple of buddies who are interested in being gifted a clone each.

Follow up to yesterday's post about roots. I wasn't with camera in the moment, but today I had it close at hand.
Quite a few roots poking out of the Root Riot on the largest clone, a couple of small roots just beginning to poke out of the second one.
I do believe there is some very nice new growth coming out of the middle of the largest clone.

Little update on a Sunday morning. The smallest clone is now showing two little roots poking out the bottom of the Root Riot sponge. Very encouraging to the least in my little experiment. Now waiting for my Course and regular perlite and vermiculite to arrive hopefully tomorrow. I need to go out and find some perfect size cups I can my miniature hempy buckets with. I know Solo Cups work, but was looking for something perhaps a little more sturdy and potentially reusable that I can drill an nice hole in the side of.

Moving Day! Wakey Bakey! Ok, I have all the Mat's to make my little Hempy Cup's for transplanting my clones into. So off we go,
Starting off with a plastic sized Solo Cup. Drilled approximately a 3/8 inch hole at 1inch above the bottom. Rinsed my Course & Chunky Perlite and filled to just above the top of the hole. Rinsed my regular Perlite then added in 1part of Vermiculite to 3 parts Perlite. Flushed a couple of times and drained the reservor.
Just like that - Made a hole and gently put my clones in. Pulled the mix into the sponge and then put more Mix on top to cover to almost the top of the Cup.
I think the cold was getting to my little person as one began to curl. I had prepared a 6.3pH mix with the Dyna Gro Protek and Bloom and poured in 250ml, which gave a lot of runoff and tucked them back in the comfy little warm Tote.
I do think I might have a girl plant as just a few minutes back in the Tote with the light on and some warmth, and she opened right back up.

The one on the left is the #1 plant that had the most roots out of the Root Riot Sponge. The one on the right is #2 and of course the little one in the middle is the Runt so comes in last as #3 plant. Not to be neglected I will keep her up front and close so I can keep a special watch over. Might be the littlest but no less important.

Just a quick wrap up to this journal. It's been about a month and a half since this project was started and the progress and success has exceeded my expectations.

Currently the tallest are now approximately 16inches tall. I flipped to 12/12 about 3 weeks ago and was rewarded with sexing status in about 10 days. I could have flipped earlier, which proves out my reason for the test originally.
Currently they are in the main tent with my mother plant. I'm considering leaving one of the plants in it's original cup, moving one to a slightly larger cup, and the final smallest on into a 1gal painting bucket. No plans in the moment for topping as I'm working on getting them tall enough to compete with the height of the regular plant.

An update to my clone box tote. I finally installed the light the way I have been wanting to for quite a while. A T-5 Fixture 2foot 2 bulb. Mounted to the lid with 6mm screws and standoff spacers to give the fan some room above it. It's about 12inches above the clone dome at this time. I figure if I need to place the plants closer I will put something under them like a small box.

Since Tuesday when I finished my last mod to my Clone/Seedling Tote I have taken quite a few clones from my current new grow.

When I topped and defoliated my SLH Lemon Sisters a couple of weeks ago I had some success and have three clones now growing in Hempy Cups. . I had started more, and culled the two best looking ones to keep. One from each of donor plants. Stella and Sheila #1's as shown. Looking this morning even stronger than in these pictures. I will update as they progress. Expecting great things from these two, if they grow has well as their momma's

Tuesday and again yesterday I did some cuttings with a scalpel blade, soaked in Clonex Rooting Gel and split open some Root Riots and place the clones in closed back up and place in my propagation tray. Several from the two Gold Leaf Golden Girls, on each side.

One of the cuttings was an early topping from my Gorilla Grape plant which is sex unknown. The original desire/need for the cloning tote was to have a space I could do cloning and early sexing clones. The little one on the side in the middle is the Gorilla Grape and is 18hrs in, is looking very nice and healthy. Plans for that one include moving into a small Hempy Cup when first roots show and directly in the flower tent down low to stimulate stretch and preflower. This way I will know if my primary Gorilla Grape donor is female ;) or male :eek:. We can talk about options later if it's a male.

In the meantime, here are some initial photo to show the start of this batch. 7 from Gilda and 5 from Goldie. The little one semi middle on the edge is the Gorilla Grape

On another note, with a current warm spell locally, I found the clone tote a bit warm, so I have turned one of the T5 bulbs off so the fixture generates less heat. It's amazing the amount of heat a pair of T5 bulbs make at 54watts in a small enclosed space. That's OK, in the moment the clones don't care much about large quantities of light, it's more to keep them thinking it day time and time to grow roots.

One week in to the newest clones. Actually Grape Ape had a new one cut a couple of days ago to replace the one I fired.
So it's picture first
Perky and alive, even if I did leave the dome off for a few hours, it recovered.
Gilda and Goldie's Clones are cruising along.
First Gilda's - No roots showing yet, but I feel in the next day will see some at least from one of these.
Goldie's 4 clones are also nice a comfy, and the second from the left is showing roots.

Will most likely place the ones with roots in a Hempy Cup within a day of seeing roots. I want to go by and pick up some Milk Shake Domes from my Five Guys contact. Tape them like SweetSue has shown and chive on.

Back
Top Bottom