A Modest Attempt At DWC From Scratch

Yeah that's the other way to go, buy buckets with lids, buy net pots, cut holes in lids and drop in net pot. Tons of ways you can go, of course though we tried to do it the easy way lol

Yeah that's the other way to go, buy buckets with lids, buy net pots, cut holes in lids and drop in net pot. Tons of ways you can go, of course though we tried to do it the easy way lol
So true but this is how I often learn the actual easy way haha

Thanks! Normally, I would prefer pulling through the filter but I have pushed through them in the past. I started doing it this way on 2x4 set ups to free up vertical space. I have heard theories from some that it may shorten the life, not sure to be honest? But has been effective for removing smell so far in the past. I guess the ore filter isn't really necessary here though haha. I'll have to set one up before the fan.
Totally understand.
Yeah, I was tempted to do what you did and order from the same but the cost here was insane for a bucket. I planned to bring the lid to the store with me to fit but I was living downtown and didn't want to carry them. So if I did it again I would buy the lids and bring to store for buckets or cut the hole for a basket in an existing lid
You could start a new trend. The bucket bag.

I'm not sure if it was the best use of time but I enjoyed doing it. I put some reflecto tape on the lid.
20210403_185954.jpg
this stuff will cover most of the system in the tent when I am done. I figured it might help with water temp and reflect light back up under the ladies. My craft game is a little weak so hopefully we get it smoother the next go around
20210403_184644.jpg
20210403_191159.jpg

Hey that's a good attempt compared to using tinfoil or something. I'm sure it will help reflect some heat and light. Right on!

Hey that's a good attempt compared to using tinfoil or something. I'm sure it will help reflect some heat and light. Right on!
It definitely helps with light. Here is a fairly unscientific test I conducted. :lot-o-toke:

20210403_235157.jpg

You can see where the strip of tape is as it is not letting light through. I am kind of into the look if I am completely honest, although it could be cleaner. Ill remove the bucket handles at some point. As you can tell, I am procrastinating on putting the pvc in. It has been near impossible so far.
20210404_001553.jpg

It definitely helps with light. Here is a fairly unscientific test I conducted. :lot-o-toke:

20210403_235157.jpg

You can see where the strip of tape is as it is not letting light through. I am kind of into the look if I am completely honest, although it could be cleaner. Ill remove the bucket handles at some point. As you can tell, I am procrastinating on putting the pvc in. It has been near impossible so far.
20210404_001553.jpg
Hey there I hope all is good.
R you coming out of the uniseal with that 90.
The 90s have a larger diameter on the outside then a straight pipe and r made to accept the outer diameter of a straight pipe. Will not be able to push that through the uniseal because of the larger diameter.
If this is not what your up to the skip everything I said and carry on my friend.
I’m loving the reflective tape.
play safe and enjoy

Hey there I hope all is good.
R you coming out of the uniseal with that 90.
The 90s have a larger diameter on the outside then a straight pipe and r made to accept the outer diameter of a straight pipe. Will not be able to push that through the uniseal because of the larger diameter.
If this is not what your up to the skip everything I said and carry on my friend.
I’m loving the reflective tape.
play safe and enjoy
Also r you using schedule 40 pipe.
It needs to be schedule 40 to fit the uniseal. Pipe with red lettering is gas vent pipe and will tear your uniseal apart because it’s to larger outer diameter.
05378133-5DCB-40BC-8ADB-E72B4C3B30FE.jpeg
39F631A7-E0D5-4FE4-8320-CC910E9D6F15.jpeg

so how I get it done is with the hole cut and sanded
29DD4895-943F-4D72-812A-5E2B5A65EAFF.jpeg

Pass your fingers around the hole to make sure it’s very smooth the pop in the uniseal
8A8DCED9-A000-43FA-925F-6A6B727F473D.jpeg

Now with the bucket between my legs I lube my pipe with dish soap :rofl: something like this
5458AD85-F1B1-4CC4-A978-15E07EB7B6F1.jpeg
then insert into the uniseal wile twisting the pipe
139082C0-E5BD-4E2C-A663-6EE1A5BC8C25.jpeg
17CF8503-3657-445B-9DD4-18A414A3F15C.jpeg

Done deal
DF05F4C5-8E19-44B1-9851-7181D63A847F.jpeg

Rinse the bucket out good and rinse and repeat.
I hope this helps somehow.
play safe and enjoy

Wow i missed a lot in a day or two. Glad you got the sizes figured out with the piping. If only 2”pipe was actually 2” lol. We also discovered the hard way that sched40 pipe is not light proof either. don’t envy having to push through those uniseals. But @KCCO 77 nailed it on the installation pics :thumb:

we run the exact same size piping in ours. 3/4” feed and 2” returns all schedule 40.
So exciting to watch a new system come together :drool:

Happy Sunday or Easter if you celebrate! Thanks for stopping by everyone and all of the advice, I cannot thank you all enough. @KCCO 77 I think I avoided all of the potential pitfalls you have outlined but I did not have an angled end to the pvc so I think that with the beveled edge should be enough.

@Michael Hunt I am 99% sure I picked my pipe sizes based on your journal so I am not surprised they are the same. I am not joking that I would (obviously) not be able to do this without the help of my 420 friends. Thanks again. Enjoy the day!

Happy Sunday or Easter if you celebrate! Thanks for stopping by everyone and all of the advice, I cannot thank you all enough. @KCCO 77 I think I avoided all of the potential pitfalls you have outlined but I did not have an angled end to the pvc so I think that with the beveled edge should be enough.

@Michael Hunt I am 99% sure I picked my pipe sizes based on your journal so I am not surprised they are the same. I am not joking that I would (obviously) not be able to do this without the help of my 420 friends. Thanks again. Enjoy the day!
All good my friend.
you don’t need to cut the 45 on the pipe. The system I run now r just cut and sanded smooth with the beveled you mentioned. Those pipes and buckets r from my first system and I just put those pics up for any reference you can use but the 45 on the pipe is not necessary lol.

My first system was off the hook and with all my ocd I took something simple and made it unusable lmao. Live and learn my friends it’s half the journey in life.

@KCCO 77 @Michael Hunt
So I'm planning on making my system recirculated for next grow, and I'm kind of curious about root clogs. How susceptible is the 2" line to clogging with roots? Is there any ways around it? Obviously a screen of sorts would just make it worse. This would be using buckets obviously, if I went to totes I'd likely do 3". Going to start picking things up eventually so I have it ready.

Bevelled end an olive oil for the win. I hope I don't regre using olive oil but I will deep clean before plants hit the system. So happy to have this go in!
20210404_104706.jpg
Im sure the olive oil will be fine even if you dont clean it very well. It isn't soluble in water anyways :D
I used silicone grease to lube ours and didn't really try to clean it off after :p

@KCCO 77 @Michael Hunt
So I'm planning on making my system recirculated for next grow, and I'm kind of curious about root clogs. How susceptible is the 2" line to clogging with roots? Is there any ways around it? Obviously a screen of sorts would just make it worse. This would be using buckets obviously, if I went to totes I'd likely do 3". Going to start picking things up eventually so I have it ready.
Haven't had any clogs yet, but i also haven't peeked into our buckets in a few weeks at least. From my research, i haven't seen any examples of 2” drains clogging so you should be fine

Haven't had any clogs yet, but i also haven't peeked into our buckets in a few weeks at least. From my research, i haven't seen any examples of 2” drains clogging so you should be fine
Good to hear, thanks for clearing that up for me. Time for me to start designing to my room

@KCCO 77 @Michael Hunt
Thinking the same as above. Only problem I’ve had with my first system was I ram it in a straight line and the last bucket was never balanced. No root plugs but alway more water then the ones closer. I also had a level control on it with a few more bright ideas that didn’t pan out so well.

The system I run now comes out of buckets with inch and a half the immediately steps up to a 2 inch.
I did this not to drill as big of holes in my buckets as well as the couplers help me break down my system for cleaning.

You can see in the pic above there’s a black coupler at bucket and then 3 placed on the drain line place so the sections that get removed fit into my wash sink. The black coupler at every bucket is 1 and a half to 2”. This system comes completely apart easily.
I built this system with cleaning in mind.

Also I don’t really veg in this system but do grow huge root balls quickly and never ever had roots plug my drain pipe.

i can’t really say what would happen if you left plants in my system for 3 or 4 months. May end up with roots popping out in the res 12 feet away lol.

Here's where I called it quits for the day. I'll straighten everything out and tidy it up when I get ready to glue all of the connections but I'm tired and still sort of moving in here. I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

20210404_141316.jpg

20210404_113225.jpg

Back
Top Bottom