A Modest Attempt At DWC From Scratch

Modest Grower

Hello my growing friends,

I have posted several journals here since I began growing in tents. Prior to my documented grows I dabbled in growing ditch weed in closets under cfl and florescent lights. All of my prior grows have been in soil, and in the US.

I recently moved to Calgary and after giving away all of my grow equipment, I am looking to start fresh and give Hydro a go!

What I know now, is I am looking to do a 2 x 5 gallon bucket DWC set up with a reservoir outside of the tent.

I plan to run two strains and use the scrog method along with topping.

For nutrients I am hoping to use Mega Crop.

I will be buying a 2x4 tent and hopefully the 5 foot tall tent, currently looking at vivosun for price and availability.

For lights, the Mars hydro I think 2000 model is what I want. I had it in my previous 2x4 tent (also vivosun) and it worked great . I will be removing the ballasts from the top of the light and mounting externally for Temps.

Speaking of temps..... I want to use the ac infinity ts6. I've owned a couple of these and never been disappointed.

For the filter, I usually like to buy those local due to the box that usually shows up on your step and the inferences that neighbors or passerby may make.

I'm starting my hobby in a new country. It is exciting and any info people have is greatly appreciated. I am in the Calgary area. I'll keep this updated as I buy the goods, set up, and grow. I also hope people just feel free to chat about whatever. Grab a joint, some snacks and refreshments in the back and chiiiiiillll. ✌

Screenshot_20210125-203945_Chrome.jpg

While I wait to get set up I have been enjoying the legal market, mostly edibles but I picked up a pax and a nice cartridge trail mix from 48 the day tripper.

Edibles have been nice. Love this city and the sunshine

20210121_172254.jpg

20210124_170318.jpg

20210121_114307.jpg

You are now really close to me, also welcome to Alberta,

To get the most of a scrog and 2 5 gallon buckets, is there any way you can get a 4×4 tent? I ask as this is what I have and it works well

The 2 buckets will work great in a 2x4 tent but not a lot of room to scrog

Thanks 1ne eye for the warm welcome. I love it so far, I can't wait to be all set up. It has been lovely here since arrived. Thanks roaming stoner! At this point all things are negotiable. I ran a 4x4 and a 2x4 before but the size of the 4x4 was a bit of a drawback with the wife haha. I do agree 4x4 would be perfect tho.... need to find a house with a basement. I think we found the place too. So if that pans out I will go 4x4

A 2x4 will definitely do the job if space is a problem, you definitely need a house with a basement as that is where mine is and it still takes an entire room
Agreed! Basement and tents is the key to success for me when it comes to growing and keeping my wife happy we have a don't ask don't tell everyone knows approach.

Some highlights from the previous set up

The nug in the pic is the last of the lemon cheese I had. I was going to give it to a friend and forgot it at home. RIP NUG.

20200531_131245.jpg

20210109_232125.jpg

Happy Valentines day! It is going to be a good one for the wife and I as she is happy we found our next place and will be moving towards the end of March and I am happy because we the place has a perfect room for my next tent.

Once we are moved in I will order all of the items I need and get started as soon as possible.

For strains I am planning on growing Cherry Pie as one of the plants and a CBD plant (TBD)

I am hoping to get into making gummies once we get to that point. Have a wonderful weekend. ✌

I guess I should change the name of the thread after doing some research I have decided to do a 2 plant 5 gallon bucket RDWC.

I'm not familiar with the terminology but from what I have learned the system will use a feed line that runs equal distance to both plants and pours water in towards the top of the container to break the surface of the water in the buckets to create the dissolved o2. I am hoping this will create sufficient levels of dissolved o2 and I won't need airstones and a pump but we shall see.

I will be running PVC pipe on the bottom of the buckets I would like to run 3" PVC for the return based on what I am reading to increase circulation and decrease the likelihood that roots will clog the system.

The area I am worried about now is water temps. I want to keep the temps down and from what I read as close to 68F as possible. I don't want to purchase a chiller although I am willing to make one if I find a cheap mini fridge and my temp is higher than ideal. I am hoping no air stones and running the pump not submerged will help. To be honest, I am not sure if airstones add heat or not but I had that general impression so I will check that out.

As for the CBD strain I have decided that CB Diesel is the most likely candidate.

Pretty big update. I have ordered the 2x4 tent, the light from @Budget LED the exhaust fan, carbon filter, and ducting, as well as my seeds.

I was ordering my AC Infinity T6 and noticed they also offer tents. I would recommend checking out the sponsors if you are looking for a tent but everything bundled was a good option for me and I am excited to see what their tent is like.
Screenshot_20210304-094439_Chrome.jpg

Hey @Modest grower, I'm gonna come along for the ride. I run RDWC so if you have any questions let me know.

I run an undercurrent RDWC, but i use an air pump and a chiller. If you aren't running a chiller I highly recommend you use Hydroguard/z7.

Looking forward to it :passitleft:Building your grow space is half the fun.

Hey @Modest grower, I'm gonna come along for the ride. I run RDWC so if you have any questions let me know.

I run an undercurrent RDWC, but i use an air pump and a chiller. If you aren't running a chiller I highly recommend you use Hydroguard/z7.

Awesome, thank you for joining as well as @1ne eye and @HashFart.

I wasn't planning on a chiller but I am seeing the cooler water temps are key. I appreciate the info! I'll have to consider my options as the build approaches. I'll check out your journals as I am hoping to build an undercurrent system. Instead of the bubbler I am hoping tobdo a more waterfall method but I bet I end up simplifying haha

Pretty big update. I have ordered the 2x4 tent, the light from @Budget LED the exhaust fan, carbon filter, and ducting, as well as my seeds.

I was ordering my AC Infinity T6 and noticed they also offer tents. I would recommend checking out the sponsors if you are looking for a tent but everything bundled was a good option for me and I am excited to see what their tent is like.
Screenshot_20210304-094439_Chrome.jpg
Big update / upgrade indeed brother you are going to be set up , now all you need is your jeep for mountain cruises this summer

Wow, @HashFart looking sexy!!! I can't wait. They were out of drivers for the one that I ordered so they hooked me up with the series 3+ Red spec. I guess it will have red spectrum and IR for flowering. I have been super happy dealing with the company and can't wait to see this light in action!

Hey modest! Going to sub up for a new dwc. I need to get some motivation to finally try this, I've got most of the equipment already sitting around just haven't taken the plunge. Let see what you can do with these upcoming babies!

And welcome to Canada eh! Lol I'm just next door in Saskatchewan. Good to have ya here at 420 as well!

Happy Saturday! I kept going through this in my head about the chiller and found a mini fridge on sale at wally world for just over 100 CAD. I decided to order it and do a DIY chiller. Hopefully, it ends up being a decent savings and effective.

20210306_230404.jpg

I am also thinking instead of 2 - 5 gallon buckets, I will have two plants in one of these 102 liter (27 gal) container inside the tent. I'm still brainstorming as I go so don't be shocked if plans change. Any input appreciated. Have a great weekend!

20210306_230831.jpg

Hey @Modest grower

I’ll be interested to see what you come up with using that fridge.

About the tote. Personally I favour individual nodes instead of multiple plants on a single tote. Individual buckets will give you a little more flexibility in terms of where you put the plants. A tote will also require more water than 2 buckets and be very heavy to move around. You will also have more waste using a tote.

:peace:

Thanks for the feedback GG! I can't help but agree with your logic on the totes. I think I am just trying to be lazy and reduce potential leak sights. I will stick with the 5 gallon bucket approach

On the fridge I am following an approach I saw @The Troll use. I haven't seen him in a while but his RDWC journal is definitely one that got me into the idea a while ago. Here is his make shift chiller. Very simple design but was effective for him.

Back
Top Bottom