A question about Autos and their pots

ItWas

So most of the reading i have been doing seems to suggest its best to grow autos in the pots they finish in and not transplant them. However i have also seen a number of posts saying that planting a small plant in a large pot often leads to problems and they don't develop a strong root ball which they would if contained in a smaller pot first.

So im wondering if its fine to plant autos straight in to a 5 gallon grow bag?

I was wondering if something like this would help?
AUTO_BBAG.jpg

I was thinking i could used some kind of slide buried halfway in the grow bag to restrict root penetration and build up a root ball. After a few weeks slide it out and allow the roots full access to the grow bag without stressing the plant by re-potting it?

Any thoughts on whether its been tried and if its worth it?

So most of the reading i have been doing seems to suggest its best to grow autos in the pots they finish in and not transplant them. However i have also seen a number of posts saying that planting a small plant in a large pot often leads to problems and they don't develop a strong root ball which they would if contained in a smaller pot first.

So im wondering if its fine to plant autos straight in to a 5 gallon grow bag?

I was wondering if something like this would help?
AUTO_BBAG.jpg

I was thinking i could used some kind of slide buried halfway in the grow bag to restrict root penetration and build up a root ball. After a few weeks slide it out and allow the roots full access to the grow bag without stressing the plant by re-potting it?

Any thoughts on whether its been tried and if its worth it?

Use a rockwool cube. 3-4 inches works best. Then just water the rockwool cube for the first two weeks or once the plant starts to get its leaves to the edge of the pot. Somewhere around 6-8 inches tall. Then when you water the surrounding medium for the first time make sure to get a really good amount of runoff to ensure no build up has occurred in the surrounding medium. Then your can start watering the whole bag or pot.
Result
420-magazine-mobile1420886309.jpg
420-magazine-mobile13406458.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1284098303.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1977112631.jpg
420-magazine-mobile786714911.jpg

Anything else don't hesitate to click on my name check us out in the Bloom Bloom Room ask anything you need. This is the best place for knowledge.

I'm all for planning and optimizing, but I think you're overthinkin' it, man. ;)

Planting in a small pot and then transplanting does not confer any magical advantage, despite what you may have read. In fact, too often, I think, people leave a seedling in Solo cup too long, leaving the tap root to circle the bottom of the cup.

If you wanna just plant in the final container, by all means do so. Just make sure the seedling doesn't get overwatered, and maybe put a clear plastic cup over the top for the first few days to give it a little extra humidity.

The most important factors for a productive grow are lots of light and getting the watering and feeding right.

Good luck and have fun. :)

I'm all for planning and optimizing, but I think you're overthinkin' it, man. ;)

Planting in a small pot and then transplanting does not confer any magical advantage, despite what you may have read. In fact, too often, I think, people leave a seedling in Solo cup too long, leaving the tap root to circle the bottom of the cup.

If you wanna just plant in the final container, by all means do so. Just make sure the seedling doesn't get overwatered, and maybe put a clear plastic cup over the top for the first few days to give it a little extra humidity.

The most important factors for a productive grow are lots of light and getting the watering and feeding right.

Good luck and have fun. :)
cheers mate , just what i needed to hear and how right you are. just started my first grow and although it started fine, things have gone down hill over the last 2 weeks - bad watering and feeding most likely suspect. hoping to do better next time as i was a bit ignorant, hence more questions.

cheers mate , just what i needed to hear and how right you are. just started my first grow and although it started fine, things have gone down hill over the last 2 weeks - bad watering and feeding most likely suspect. hoping to do better next time as i was a bit ignorant, hence more questions.

Learn by doing! These are hardy weeds. You can make a lot of mistakes and still get a good harvest. Rock on. :)

Back
Top Bottom