A Question about clones/How many times can I clone?

rankamateur

WP_000072.jpg

Hello there people,
Just a quick question for you helpful people on here.
Lets say I have grown a plant from seed, I would call this first generation.
If I was to take a cutting from that first generation plant and produce a new plant with it (2nd Generation), how many times can i repeat that process (3rd gen, 4th gen, 5th gen)?

Just asking because I wondered how many generations before the potency/quality of the plant degrades?
Thanks for your help in advance folks.

Genetics remain intact when you clone a clone. You can clone a clone as many times as you want.

It becomes a problem when you clone a plant that has flowered and revegged. Once the plant goes into flower mode its genetics change and never go back.

Im no expert at all but i started with 5 seeds, given to me by a friend (totally blind grow), managed to germinate 2. So that was my first grow. Took 2 cuttings when they were just in flower, managed to reveg them, recently harvested those 2, but prior to flowering did it properly this time and took 4 clones off those. Anyway today took 6 more clones off several adolescents i have,. So as of today im on my 4th gen with a total of 12 plants thriving and 6 more clones

Learning all along but enjoying every minute, well most of every minute lol

Genetics remain intact when you clone a clone. You can clone a clone as many times as you want.

It becomes a problem when you clone a plant that has flowered and revegged. Once the plant goes into flower mode its genetics change and never go back.
Not true, just takes a lot longer. Just harvested 4 plants I grew from clones I clipped in November. Still very potent,female, and came up very dense. Literally had buds growing off the main stalk. No branches. You can flower the same plant more than once.

Off the stalk in addition to the rest of the plant. Took so long I almost gave up on it. But definitely flowered as soon as I clipped it,put it back to veg(24 light, then back to flower and is as good as if not better than previous of the same strain. Barney's farm, critical kush. Got water and dirt? Not possible to mess it up!

Admittedly I am very new to consuming and cultivating cannabis. From the endless reading on Cloning I have found, the one thing they all say is that the Mother plant and any “generation” of her Clones have the same DNA.

I hadn’t thought about her DNA changing when she flowers. My question then would be how different are her Genetics if she were to Re-Veg?

Rule of the clone is the plant is same age & same genetics as original host (mother) it was cut from

I believe a previous poster in this thread is confusing dna with flowering hormones…. the plants dna doesn’t change until you cross breed it with something else…

please correct me if I’m wrong here but my understanding is…. It’s still genetically the same plant as the original host, what does change is we weaken the cloned strain by introducing pest, disease or pathogens during the cloning process over many generations…

but no worries and welcome aboard!!!

So with that thought, will the change in hormones from Veg to Flower back to Veg and again to Flower change her flavor or potency?

I ask that under the idea that she has remained completely healthy with no pests issue.

I had my first successful harvest only a year ago so as quickly as I learn, I know that I have so much more to learn about Growing Cannabis.

I appreciate the feedback.

the only side effects that I’m aware of is 1) after a plant has been in flower and then is reverted back to veg cycle… the plant becomes what’s called monster cropped which causes the plant to become especially bushy with crap tons of foliage & side branching.

and 2) when a plant finally revegs it will change leaf pattern and pop single bladed fan leaves on top, after more time elapses it will pop 3 bladed fan leaves and then eventually it will revert to growing typical 5 bladed fan leaves then resume growing normally from there

one must harvest the buds but leave enough fan leaves intact to keep each limb drawing sap to successfully reveg and it’s slow as molasses to turn a plant around

Plants don't change their genetics when they flower. Maybe different genes get expressed during flowering, I;m not sure, but its the same genetics. If the plant is healthy and disease free, you can clone to infinity. In agriculture this is done often. As a matter of fact, practically all bananas are clones.

Mutations can result from errors in DNA replication during cell division, exposure to mutagens or a viral infection. Germline mutations (that occur in eggs and sperm) can be passed on to offspring, while somatic mutations (that occur in body cells) are not passed on.
....from the www.genome.gov site.

Science has been learning a lot from the "human genome project".

in theory you can clone into infinity…. but in reality we weaken the strain by going clone after clone for generations. I’ve read somewhere that it’s like after 64 generations you’ve reached the end, loss of vigor, rampant disease, etc but can’t quote a source.

The work around is grow 1 plant from seed to keep as a clone mother, she never gets flowered herself. Clone moms get special treatment, rampant growth is opposite of what you want, kept in small containers, allowed to get rootbound & yearly 1/2 inch root pruning plus repacking with fresh soil are the norms for clone mothers.

This way all future generations come from same mother but as always rule of the clone still applies here… a clone will always be same age / same genetics as mom.

Let me throw this one in I have a strain that has been going for 5 years now no mother plant i cut from what ever cut has nice lowers at the time
I have noticed after awhile it losses its vigor either smaller bud or potency drops off what I do is reveg one wait until it starts growing normal leaves and take cuts off it and the cuts take off like crazy
Now I do this about once a year just to keep it going out of the 5 strains I've done this to only one didn't fire off and get better in a way but wasn't very good to start with
Now I have also heard that a mother will eventually give up and lose potency after awhile don't know never had room to keep one alive that long

Don't know could be bro science I do smoke ALOT of pretty good weed all the time

Not true, just takes a lot longer. Just harvested 4 plants I grew from clones I clipped in November. Still very potent,female, and came up very dense. Literally had buds growing off the main stalk. No branches. You can flower the same plant more than once.
Flicking between veg and bud is how us old people used to make/grow foxtail buds. Clone a bud in its second week, root it and the second it stretches in veg put it into bud till it fills out. Repeat as often as you dear.

Back
Top Bottom