A question about modern strains and why they breed for such low CBD levels

Skullman420

If you take a look at most modern strains, CBD levels are so low it's almost like they try to breed it out of the plant alltogether. I keep wondering why? Is it the only way you can raise THC to the insane levels some of the modern strains have or is there another reason? I mean CBD doesn't harm you. It's actually very healthy and I can't see any good reasons for why the THC/CBD balance has become like it is today. Pretty certain that in the old days the weed you smoked had much more CBD - I have also seen strains that has both high THC and CBD. How do they do that? Or maybe a better question is why? Or why not?

What's up breeders? Why do you want the CBD levels to be as low as possible?

Information from external source I will not name to not break any 420 rules

"Cannabis connoisseurs have long prized potency as one of the main factors that makes a particular strain more desirable than another. Potency has long been popular in an illicit market–when the local selection consisted of the offerings of one illegal dealer versus those of another, many consumers were looking to get more bang for their buck and sought out the strongest strain. Traditionally, cannabis users attributed strain potency to high levels of the cannabinoid THC, which has led to the proliferation of strains that are full of it. THC may be the most prevalent active compound in marijuana, but it is only one of at least 85 that we know of. Thanks to marijuana's growing legitimacy as a medicinal option, CBD is starting to emerge as the cannabinoid poised to steal THC's thunder"

I wonder - Will the madness stop now when more countries/states go legal? I certainly hope so.

To answer your question about the CBD there is more than one reason that we breed them out I run a dispensary in New Mexico and a lot of everything that I do is to treat for different ailments some that we need the CBD for some that I am breeding for CBG and THC and CBD together changes the type of high that people are receiving some people do not like the CBD just like there is a lot of people that do not like the THC and just once a CBD these are just a few of the reasons why we are breeding them out

Super high THC levels sure gets you noticed. Todays market place has created a new diverse arena for breeders. Just as the market place created all the super strains with high THC and low CBD levels. Now strains have more value if they have 50/50 CBD/THC or high CBD and low THC.
Its going to be interesting what new strains come from this new market place.

The other big thing that readers light to work on is turning favorite strains into autos because that is what is popular among household Growers I am working on taking my pure Afghan and turn it into an auto

I kinda think of autos like cannabis for beginners. I do prefer the photos because I can keep them alive via cloning forever. Saves a fortune when it comes to seeds

The other big thing that readers light to work on is turning favorite strains into autos because that is what is popular among household Growers I am working on taking my pure Afghan and turn it into an auto

With that said - I notice most autos have a higher CBD. That's probably because of the ruderalis part. So that's one positive side of it. Am growing a few autos right now. Was kinda thinking of putting them outside, but then the summer never came. So am keeping them in my vegg tent. So far quite disappointed with them. Hoping they'll surprise me in a pleasant way

A lot of people don't have the space to run two different rooms so with Autos they can do it all in one box Room Tent or anything else and yes the majority of the time is CBD comes from the ruderalis I have a wild strain of ruderalis that I use for making automatics it holds the traits very well

That sounds interesting. I want to get in to some hobby breeding. Trying to learn as much as possible about it

I have a wild strain of ruderalis that I use for making automatics it holds the traits very well

It's not that bad or hard to learn just a lot of patience reading little bit of extra work and most of the time of separate tent but if you decide to run through Reading as a hobby it can help you save some of your favorite strains permanently by pollinating one branch you can easily get a hundred to two hundred seeds then I store them in a jar of rice in the bottom of the freezer

Back
Top Bottom