A question about seed reversion

doublejointed

my 2 current plants are from seeds from the same plant, they came from my last plant which the seed was from a bud of what was suppose to be purple sinsemilla. the fact it had seeds made me doubt it was sinsemilla(that word gets attached to weed to easily) but back to my question one plant has very redish purple stems the other does not ,the shape of the leaves is different too. now i know in most vegetables if they are a high-bred the seed from them can revert back to the different strains they were bred from. does this hold true to MJ plants if the orginal plant was a cross of 2 strains ?
DSCN09202.JPG

above is plant"A" it's exactly like the plant the seed came from
DSCN10264.JPG
DSCN10272.JPG
these leaves are from plant "B" they are larger and have no redish purple

the fact it had seeds made me doubt it was sinsemilla

No, it wasn't. Sin semilla means without seed (it's Spanish).

now i know in most vegetables if they are a high-bred the seed from them can revert back to the different strains they were bred from. does this hold true to MJ plants if the orginal plant was a cross of 2 strains ?

Uhh... hybrid?

Start with this thread (everyone should):
How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

Read each topic that the mega-FAQ links to, but for specifics on your above question, see the links under Breeding and Breeding Strategies.

i guess i should add this.. its kind of hard to wrap the mind around at first.. but ill give it a try.

lets say you have the following

white widow and ak47. these are considered p1

you cross them, and you will have kalashnikova.. which is a F1 .. or hybrid. and all seeds should be very similar, caring both parents genes.

now.. if you cross a kalashnikova with a kalashnikova... you now have an F2.

from those seeds, you will get 25% white widow, 25% ak47, and 50% kalashnikova.

so technically.. if you wanted to spend the time, you could eventually re-breed white widow and ak47 back into their own seeds.. pick the best mother and father, and re-breed another batch of 100% kalashnikova.

at least thats my understanding.. i dont breed, (apart from the occasion hermie... lol) but, its pretty interesting to say the least.

i can see how that would be handy, if you have a single kalashnikova mother, and no access to good seeds... where you could over time, breed some feminized white widow, ak47, and then new fem kalshnikova..

there is way more to it than that, as you have to stabalize, and know what you are looking for strong genetics etc etc.. but thats my limited basic knowlegde on breeding.

white widow and ak47. these are considered p1

you cross them, and you will have kalashnikova.. which is a F1 .. or hybrid. and all seeds should be very similar, caring both parents genes.

now.. if you cross a kalashnikova with a kalashnikova... you now have an F2.

from those seeds, you will get 25% white widow, 25% ak47, and 50% kalashnikova.

Crossing two purebreds, you'd expect that.

But are they considered to be such? If not - if you crossed two of the parent strains with each other and cannot expect uniformity in the offspring, then you won't get it in the offspring of a cross that had said strain for one of the parents.

And if both parents are hybrids, it has the potential to complicate things even more, I would expect. Not solely because of the fact that both parents are hybrids, I mean. What happens if you take a look at the family trees of both parent-strains and see a strain that is on both lists (assuming, of course, that its genes have not been completely bred out of the potential parent in the generations between)?

That's got to be a consideration that the breeder keeps in mind. The vast majority of strains aren't purebreds, so the situation is bound to crop up from time to time.

I've been wondering if this type of thing could affect hybrid vigor in the offspring. You cross two different strains and expect a certain degree of "extra" to express itself. But the genetic history of the parent stock has one or more of the same strains in it.

that hurt to read. lol.

i am assuming that you bred them into/start with stable pure parents. how to do that.. i couldnt tell you. i'v heard its possible. but im assuming very time consuming, and probably way more work than i'd be willing to do.

so if im getting you correctly.. depending on the family trees.. if the original parents were not perfectly pure bred and "reset" so to speak.. due to the phenotype percentage.. you could pop a plant that neither parents were? or are you talking just popping a plant that would have a slight percentage of a strain that neither parents were?

my next learning project is going to be to learn how to successfully breed plants... i know its going to hurt my brain for a while :p i probably wont acutally breed. but i want to understand how to.... the proper way.

edit: well im reading in the breeding faq.. and i was right.. my head hurts.. but it makes sense.. but i might have to start drawing pictures so i can visually see it lol.

Looks like a hybrid cross resulting one plant being sativa dominant (B) and another indica dominant (A). Grow them out and take notes on the desirable traits between the two. Then use the plant and backcross it to increase the percentage of the trait from showing up in the next progeny.

Then, select the plant that best resemble the parent plant and backcross again. This will take time and space to produce, but eventually you will have a stable cross with the desirable traits.

In a sense it is reverting back but not quite. The genetic is broken once you no longer have the parent plants. However, keep in mind that breeding is often use to find new variety with desirable traits; potency, flavor, aroma, growth characteristics, etc...

Since these seeds came from plants that thought to be sinsemilla (which is not and is a hermaphrodite) then you got to backcross these, using the opposite sex from the strain that gave way to the female plant that birth your A and B plants. However it is not easy when these are hybrids.

What is the strain that gave birth to these seeds?

Good advice.

What's it generally take to stabilize a cannabis cross? I've heard a minimum of five generations and eight to be (almost) certain. Seemed to be a good rule back in the day when I had... a more active interest in the question. But I'm always open to others' opinions.

Back
Top Bottom