A Scrog Grow

Stix

This will be my 2nd scrog. The first one didn't go as planned. I waited to long to start the flower causing some problems later in flowering. My plants over grew my fence by alot causing most of my branches to fall over onto themselves. I still ended up with a decent yield but it caused alot of light blockage to the buds underneath. I'm hoping to do a little better this time around.

I'll be growing hydroponically using a ebb & flo 24 bucket, 55 gallon resevoir system.

Lighting:
(3) 400 watt HPS lights with Hortilux bulbs vented inline with eachother using a 6" flex duct sucking air from outside the room through the lights and back outside the room again.
(1) 430 watt HPS light with Hortilux bulb on a 6' light mover (unvented)
I will be using HPS for veg and flowering. Hortilux bulbs have both spectrums. Mostly red with a little blue. Works great for veg and flowering.

For smell I have a Carbon Can filter 100 with a 830 CFM fan blowing exhaust air through an 8" duct that runs the length of my growroom. I sealed the end of the duct and cut individual holes the entire length of the duct. This way the air in my entire room is always moving. I also have a ocillating fan mounted on the wall for added air movement. I also have one of those electirc ozone air things mounted on the wall. I really don't think it does anything though.

Nutrients (Flora series)
My 3 basic nutrients will be FloraMicro, FloraGro and FloraBloom

I'll be adding the following boosters as well
Hygrozyme
Diamond Nectar
Floralicious Plus
Liquid Kool Bloom

For my medium I'll be using Grow Plugs and Hydroton

This grow will be from mother clones I took from the last grow. So basically this grow is 3rd generation clones.

I'll be growing 2 strains. Grapefruit and Strawberry Cough from Dutch Passion. All seeds in my grows are feminised.

Since I'll be starting the flower at about 8-10 inches I decided to double up all the pots. The pots are only 2 gallons each, and I'm sure some of you are thinking about possible root bound. Hydroponic and dirt grow don't share the same rules when it comes to the size pot needed to avoid having your plant get root bound. I've tested out a few pots in the last 2 grows by doubling up about 3 pots per grow. The plants did extremely well. Hopefully I won't make a liar outta myself :smokin:.

I had a little trouble getting all the clones I needed. Some clones are a little less then healthy. Some show signs of drying roots. I may loose about 8 or so plants. We'll see.

I planted my crop about a week ago. I'll post pictures soon enough

yeah, I gotta be careful though. Strawberry is 80% Sativa. I had a HUGE stretch on them last time around. Its gonna be hard to get about 40 plants to scrog with a nice (even) canopy. Last time I waited till about 50% of my screen was filled and it turned into one big bushy mess. I do have my screen set at 12 inches above the pots. I've seen it recommended to have it only about 8 inches above the pots. Maybe I'll lower it. :hmmmm:

I'm plotting on a scrog myself but I'v never done it before I think I am gonna cover my whole 4 by 8 closet with a screen and do it up I wonder how many plants it would take to cover the whole screen

Me too me too! I've never heard of a scrog grow but it looks like the chicken wire is used to flatten out the growth and causes everything to grow like a mat. Google..here I come...

That gives me an idea. I could grow about 3 girls in a vertical circle instead of having it horizontal and flat. Put a 1000 watt HPS in the middle of the circle with a small fan blowing upwards from the bottom. Picture a chain link fence around a yard only this is chicken wire in a circle about 3' across and 2' tall..maybe taller. 3 girls around the outside of the wire. It'd be simple to water and take care of. That'd be a first. *GB crosses his arms and assumes "the thinker's" pose....*

edit: yeah..I'm blazed..lol

thanks for the compliments. Hopefully I'll get the flowering time down this go around. It's gonna be a little tough, both strains are 80% Sativa. I'm probally gonna have to top a bunch of plants in order to keep the canopy even. The strawberries are taking off faster then the Grapefruits.

Smoke report on the Grapefruit / Strawberry Cough and Orange Bud from my last grow.

Grapefruit - Holy shit! The smoke is incredible, I would even venture to say the high was a little to intense. Last night I took 1 Huge bong hit. I won't be doing that again. I took it to fast. It left my throat and chest numb. I (felt) like it was a little difficult to breathe but actually it wasn't. :hmmmm: It's hard to explain. It took about an hour for the numbness to subside. It was also one of my prettiest strains to date. LOTS of trichs. It looks like someone dropped a pound of sugar on my buds.

Strawberry Cough - Very good smoke as well. It yielded much more then the grapefruit but didnt look as pretty as far as trichs. Don't get me wrong, it had alot of trichs, just not as pretty as the Grapefruit. It was a very up high, It left me wanting to do shit. I'm not sure were the name came from. To me it really doesnt smell like strawberry at all. It does have a citrus aroma though.

Orange Bud - Very disappointing yield. There really wasn't any big colas at all. Most of the bud was airy, light and small.The smoke is a little harsh, but the high is nice. The smell is freakish, It really does smell like oranges!

I really do like the setup. It sounds like you spent a lot of time putting the system all together. I've heard bad thing about having an ozonator in the grow room. Lemme see if I can find a link about it.

Akornpatch said:
Ozone can take some/most scent away from the buds.

You may be right Akorn. 2 grows ago I had the ozone unplugged. That crop was the stinkiest weed I've ever smelled. Everyone who came in contact with it said the same thing. This last crop I had the ozone plugged in. It didn't have the same stink, not even close. Granted, the crop from 2 grows ago was Blueberry and Northern lights and this last crop was Grapefruit, Strawberry Cough and Orange bud. I'll be able to do a better comparison this time around. I'll turn off the ozonator this grow which is Grapefruit and Strawberry Cough and see if there's a difference.

Very nice rig dude.
Have you grown with 2 plants per pot before? Is there a problem with crowding using method ? I may give that a try when I get to the flowering stage. (dependant on your feedback)

Its glorious!

I don't read many of the journals, but I'll be keeping a close eye on this one. I have a lot of respect for you stix. You're very knowledgable, a good grower, and you never put others down. I was sorry to see that you were no longer a grow mod. I plan to do a scrog grow myself this summer, so I'm hoping to learn a lot. Good luck with yours.

highlifeisdalif said:
hey just looking at this,,, where can you pick up wire? they looked good, how do they look now.??

Home Depot or Lowes should have it. It's just chicken wire with the standard 2" holes

pirate said:
Very nice rig dude.
Have you grown with 2 plants per pot before? Is there a problem with crowding using method ? I may give that a try when I get to the flowering stage. (dependant on your feedback)

I've done this on 2 other grows, just not as many pots as now. My plants only get to around 3' tall due to height restrictions, so I don't have any probs with rootbound. If you plan on growing your plants taller, you may experience probs. I really don't know. My best advise to you would be experiment with doubling up 1 or 2 pots the first time around.

Brett2theMax said:
Its glorious!

lol, thanks bro

Vintner said:
I don't read many of the journals, but I'll be keeping a close eye on this one. I have a lot of respect for you stix. You're very knowledgable, a good grower, and you never put others down. I was sorry to see that you were no longer a grow mod. I plan to do a scrog grow myself this summer, so I'm hoping to learn a lot. Good luck with yours.

Thanks for the kind words Vintner, it means alot. Hopefully this grow will help you along the way when you do yours in the summer.

Back
Top Bottom