A slightly different lighting schedule- advice welcome

Jack Dabs

Hi All

I am in the middle of my second grow in a 2x2x5 foot tent using a 250w dual spectrum hps.

This grow was 12/12 from seed. I have 4 different plants and 3 different strains going. I have just harvested one of them which was a Northern Lights and was by far the least impressive (size wise) of the lot. She was ready after about 56 days which is great but only pulled about 10 grams off her. Granted she had a lot of abuse from me trying to correct the ph and overdosing her on ph down.

Out of the other 3 two are ok and one is pretty impressive and should pull an ounce or more off her. They are just over 60 days and recon there is only a couple weeks to go.

I am looking to make some rso mainly for savage pain i am experiencing from a (hopefully) acute back problem. The reason I experimented with 12/12 from seed is to try some different strains from my seed stock to see what works best with a view to growing out my favourite strains through a decent veg period. I am looking for a decent daytime strain for oil as well as night time meds. I will primarily use Motoco's tacking method and would like a few extra cured buds for recreation (smoking/vaping).

So I understand 12/12 can be quite effective if done correctly but for me this is just a poor use of the verticle space I have in the tent so I have been thinking about other light schedules. I love the one big cola idea and the reduced grow time as well as a variety of strains (still have a few more to try before I settle on 2) but I definitely need to get them a bit bigger.

So my initial thinking on a light schedule that would suit my needs is as follows:

- A two week veg period
- One week (from when they have all sprouted) on GLR so 12 hours light 5.5 dark - 1 hour light - 5.5 dark
- Followed by a one week veg period of 14 or 15 hours
- Then into flower on the usual 12/12

I really would like to keep the one big cola growth as well as various strains and reduced grow time but I definitely need to get them slightly taller and bigger. I would like to run 4 plants again.

So if anyone has any advice as to whether this would be effective or not it would be most appreciated.
Is it worthwhile doing this? Would GLR from the start and light schedule changes a week apart create too much stres?
Would this schedule backfire and give me short busy plants instead of the large single cola structure I am after?
:Namaste:

run a 3 week veg, then flip, you'll really appreciate the difference, make sure it is a blue spectrum light, too.

and once into a cycle, you can work the 3 weeks in, in advance so you have a steady harvest :peace:

Thanks for the reply, I am just a little concerned a 3 week veg will get them too big for 4 plants in a 2x2 space. Really have my mind set on 4 different strains and know roughly which ones I would like to do.

All from Royal Queen Seeds - White Widow, Ice (great strain for making hash apparently) , Power Flower (again) and a Royal medic (for smoking purposes).

Anyone tried a 2 week veg? I did my last photo girl vegged for 3 weeks so have a good idea as to how much space that uses and is definitely too big for 4 plants. Wonder if 3 could fit.... hmmmmm, the wheel is turning.

I would love a perpetual harvest system and 12/12 would be perfect for it but only have my small tent in my bedroom and no other options for seperate rooms. Just a pity 12/12 is not really worth it for me unless I was putting in 8-10 plants which raises some legality issues.

my tent is 2.5 x 2.5, I veg for 3 and flip, then the plants grow to about 3 foot. I bought bigger pots as I can afford to take them a bit higher. I have 5 in the tent atm, 1 in each corner and a 12/12 from seed in the middle under a PlatinumLED P450 :peace:

I guess you could call mine perpetual as I have a grow schedule planned week by week over the next 12 months, I have 4 main plants in big pots that veg for 3 weeks and then 2 to 3 12/12s that sit in the middle :peace:

Wow thanks so much for that info, great idea. Think I may just steal your idea on a somewhat downsized scale, the Power Flower is 88% sativa so that one can go in at 12/12 from seed along with 3 others. I think that is my answer and potentially a great way to get the most out of my tent. Thanks for your input, will be going through your journal tonight.

no problem, bro, I'll post you a link to my grow plan, it is in Excel, but it will give you a frame work to work from; it even has watering schedule built in, along with an inventory and a power usage calculator, so if you're good with Excel, you will get a lot from it :peace:

You Sir are a legend, thank you so much. I will download as soon as I can get to my PC. Love this site and the awesome people on it. Trust an engineer (if you are one) to create an awesome detailed blueprint. I work with one and he amazes me consistently with how organised he gets everything. I am so disorganised, it would take me ages just to figure out a schedule nevermind adding all the details. HUGE thanks!!!!

my pleasure, bro, hope you get something from it

and yes, my degree was in software engineering, and my career was in project management, so I guess I am an engineer, and the plan will be familiar to anyone who has worked with gantt charts ;)

the red bits form day one are the 12/12s btw

each line continues on the next 'silo' down, and the dates for germing are indicated on the week of each run in beige

Back
Top Bottom