A Small Tribute to a Big Irish Doode

I heard about your grow on BID's last journal. I hope you don't mind if I tag along. I just purchased the HSO Blue Dream today in preparation for the group memorial grow next year. I've yet to start a grow, but I'm hoping to start an auto grow soon (either Sweet Tooth or Pineapple Express or both!) to get my feet wet.

If I were you I would just go for a normal strain to start. Autos are less forgiving to mistakes and there is no time to recover from anything. At least with normal strains if you fuck something up in veg you can just give it more time, not an option with autos.

I had the same idea and ended up making mistakes with the auto because it was my first grow and the end product was worthless and got thrown away.

Also if you haven't bought your medium and nutes yet get Docs kit. Do it... Dooo it, Just dooo it, (Sorry Starsky and hutch was on this weekend lol) It's cheaper, super easy and even with me making mistakes with bad water and what not produced the best bud I have had in ~20 years of smoking.

Good luck either way you go, just trying to help you not make the same mistakes I did. My journals are in my sig if you would like to see more detail of the grow.

Here they are at 4 weeks and 4 days :tokin: First, the Blue Dream:

0011979.JPG
0021964.JPG

I'd watch these Purple #1s; they seem to not like a lot of food:
0041765.JPG

0071377.JPG

The tall Purple Maroc:

0061465.JPG

The short one (these seem to feed normally):

0031886.JPG

Both GDP S1s:

0051664.JPG
0081267.JPG

The food should show an effect in a few days. I'll keep everybody posted here.

Thanks SmokeyMcFly. I wanted to let everyone watching this grow know that I decided to put everything into flower today. I switched the bulb to a 400 watt HPS and the timer to 12/12 today. I'm running a test now to see if I can keep two units cooled with one fan using the new setup. If it works, the 6th unit I started up can stay running. Post more pics soon.....

83.3 degrees F is what it's running at. I can live with that for this time of year, seeing as how I have CO2 bags and the unit needs at least 82 degrees F for the plants to absorb it. I might have to time the grow periods for veg in Summer and use my 600 watt unit for flowering then. Here we go :)

I just realized today that if averages prevail, I'll be chopping 3 to 4 Sensi Star plants, all seven of these, one 818 Headband x GDP, a White S1, and 4 to 5 Lowryder #1 plants all about 3 weeks before :xmas: ho ho ho hee hee hee muah ha ha ha ha!!!!! :lot-o-toke:

Week 5 from seed and first full day of 12/12:

0011983.JPG

All of them seem to like the chicken poop tea :) but I have to dilute it for the Purple #1s:

0021967.JPG
0031892.JPG

Big difference in phenos with the 2 Purple Marocs:

0041771.JPG

And the Blue Dream is still looking healthy:

0051671.JPG

As soon as I chop a Free Tibet plant, both Purple #1s are going under a 600 watt HPS and in the separate unit I mentioned. I'm going to do another tea today and cut the amount of processed chicken manure in half so I can add a half amount of hydrolyzed fish fertilizer. I'll post the exact amounts of everything after I mix it.

2 gallons RO water
1 cup worm compost
1 cup vermicompost
1/4 cup processed chicken manure 5-3-2
1 tsp. hydrolyzed fish fertilizer 2-4-0
2 tsp. unsulfered molasses

When it's finished aerating, I'm thinking of adding normal amounts of micros (I have some from other manufacturers) and CaMg+ to the tea. What's left after feeding everything else is getting diluted to 1/2 strength for the Purple #1s. I'll use AN's new humic and fulvic acid product and CaMg+ for the in-between waterings on these, also. Post more pics soon.....

Vermicompost is worm compost, are the worm compost and vermicompost very different?

https://en.wikipedia.org Vermicompost

Thanks for correcting me on that KJC; I'm using the wrong term. The compost I'm using is a purchased product using yard waste and kitchen scraps composted by microbial activity instead of worms. I'll call it organic compost from now on to avoid the confusion. The product is called Eek-Oh-Skrapps.

Edit: I'll also check the other bag; it may be "worm castings" I'm using, and not "worm compost".

5 weeks and 2 days from seed; 3 days of 12/12:

0041775.JPG

I'm going to increase the RO water to 3 gallons and the molasses to 3 tsp. The rest of the mix will stay the same. It was a bit too strong for all of the plants. Not too much, but a bit. Even after diluting that last mix by 50% with RO water, the nute-touchy Purple #1s have leaf curl:

0051674.JPG

The Blue Dream took it better (full strength):

0061474.JPG

I have to note that the second GDP S1 here is in more soil and also in a smart pot, both which helped with the strong feeding. The first one is in a 2 gallon plastic pot:

0071384.JPG
0081273.JPG

The bigger Purple Maroc didn't take it as bad, but the first smaller one curled up a lot at the top:

0091138.JPG

0101042.JPG

After I make the more diluted mix next time (after a few good waterings here), I'll dilute it the 50% again before I feed the Purple #1s with it, that should get it to where it needs to be.

I took one more row of shade leaves (I start from the bottom and work my way up) to avoid overcrowding as much as I can until my 600 watt unit gets an opening for both Purple #1s. If it gets too crowded I'll put one in sooner.

Well due to a nanner tossin' Free Tibet clone, the aforementioned unit now has an opening :straightface: Both of the Purple #1 plants are on the left side of this pic:

0031904.JPG

The one is tall; both will crowd the 600 watt unit but the 2 plants will get better light and the unit it's in now will be opened up more:

0041782.JPG

This Blue Dream looks wider leafed, so I'll keep it in here:

0061481.JPG

The only plants that are showing hairs are the Purple Marocs at this point. Here's the taller one:

0051682.JPG

I watered them today with RO water, 1 tsp. CaMg+, and 4 ml. Micro. I'll be doing a feeding next time and I'll list the amount of each ingredient in the mix. Post more pics and info soon.

Here's the ingredients for the mix I just put together:

3 gallons RO water
1 Tbsp. unsulfured molasses
1 cup organic compost
1 cup worm castings
2 Tbsp. Superswell 0-7-0
1/4 cup processed chicken manure 5-3-2
1 tsp. kelp meal 1-0-2

I'll add 3 tsp. of CaMg+ and 12 ml. of micronutrients after it gets done activating.

Notes: Both Purple #1 plants were put under the 600 watt HPS in another unit last night. Seeing as how the breeder recommends either greenhouse or outdoors for this strain, I'm relieved that I have them under something stronger than this 400 watt HPS. The other 5 plants are less crowded now, especially since I cut the bottom 2 to 3 rows of weak branches and another row of shade leaves off of them. I'll get pics up of these 5 tomorrow when I give them nutes and I'll pic the 2 Purple #1s soon, too (the unit I transferred them to runs at night, and the unit these 5 are in runs during the day). The lower branches of one of the GDP S1s had triple nodes; probably from stress due to excessive breeding. I haven't checked the other GDP S1 yet, but it looks more normal than the first. So far things are good :)

Poop soup! :yummy:

0012000.JPG

The far left plant in the back is the taller Purple Maroc. It's spindly as Hell; I hope the nutes help with that. Next to it is the other one, looking okay. The one in front of it is the Blue Dream. It actually looks pretty nice and the leaves are just showing ready for a feeding. The GDP S1 in the smart pot (far right) is doing okay, but the other one shows the new growth having an overwatered look. I didn't give it much food. The next time I'm going to foliar feed them; I won't get much more of a chance as the hairs are starting to form on all of them:

0031908.JPG

The GDP S1 in the smart pot:

0041784.JPG

The overwatered looking GDP S1:

0051684.JPG

Shorter Purple Maroc:

0061483.JPG

Taller Purple Maroc:

0071391.JPG

Blue Dream:

0081279.JPG

I kept 1/2 gallon of the nutes and mixed another 1/2 gallon of RO water to it, adding 1/2 tsp. CaMg+ and 7 ml. micronutrients to the mixed gallon. I'll give this diluted nute mix to the 2 Purple #1s later tonight.

Note: That last pic (Blue Dream) is exactly where I want to see these leaves as far as lightness of color goes. Just a bit darker from the feeding and watch close as Hell until it looks just like that again until I feed the next time. I'll up the processed chicken manure to 1/2 cup when I see enough bud growth, but in about 4 weeks I'm switching to hydrolyzed fish fertilizer as the base for these aerated teas.
I got a similar plant to the wilted GDP S1 in another grow I did and it was a GDP x GDP cross I did myself. It was really touchy to waterings and feedings; I thought at the time that it may be Purple Urkel dominant because I've read that Purple Urkel does the same thing. I think I may half dose the feedings on it too.

I'm probably going to take another row of bottom branches and maybe 2 rows of shade leaves (not at the same time; I'll take the next higher up row of shade leaves in a few days). I should top that Purple Maroc, too:

0041785.JPG
0051685.JPG

Side views - left side:

0061484.JPG

Right side:

0071392.JPG

I think I'm going to up the chicken crap to 1/2 cup and keep the rest of that last formula the same. They're big enough to handle it :)

Notes: I topped the taller Purple Maroc about 3 nodes from the top this morning and watered all the plants, which took 1-1/2 gallons. Each gallon of RO water was mixed with 4 ml. of micronutrients, 1 tsp. of CaMg+, and 9 ml. of Hygrozyme. I'll be bubbling up nutes again tomorrow. Post pics soon.

Here's a good example of light bleaching. The top on the right is under the light. If I look at it, I see what looks like deficiencies or nutrient and water uptake problems from the appearance of the leaves. But on the same plant and at the same level, the top on the left (protected from the close, direct light by being behind the edge of the reflector) looks normal:

0012005.JPG

That Purple Maroc and one of the Purple #1s is taking off in height; I'll pic both of them later to show it. Here's the rest of the grow:

0021989.JPG

They need feeding, but it's gonna be another day before they're dry enough; I'll start the compost tea tomorrow and I'm going full strength with the chicken poop; they're all big enough now. I'm not going to cut the formula in half for the Purple #1s either because they're showing the need for nutes worse than this GDP S1:

0031911.JPG

I'll post what I put in the compost tea when I do it. I need to start making 4 gallons at a time; the plants are getting bigger and it don't go as far :)

Wow talk about a variation in phenotypes, look at this. Here's the first Dutch Passion Purple #1 plant (in the first pic, the other Purple #1 is just to the right of it):

0012006.JPG
0021990.JPG

The other Dutch Passion Purple #1:

0051688.JPG

Now that this big difference is happening with two of the strains I'm doing, I may improvise my arrangements. This shorter Purple #1 may go back under the 400 watt HPS and I might put that tall Purple Maroc plant under the 600 watt HPS. I can solve the problem of light bleaching that way. I'll post again soon.

Back
Top Bottom