A Truth Obama Won't Dare Tell

PFlynn

On Thursday, The Washington Times reported that in 2004, as a candidate for the U.S. Senate, Obama came out for decriminalizing marijuana use. That usually means eliminating jail sentences and arrest records for anyone caught with a small amount for personal use, treating it more like a traffic offense than a violent crime. But in a show of hands at a debate last fall, he indicated that he opposed the idea.

When confronted on the issue by the Times, however, the senator defended his original ground. His campaign said he has "always" supported decriminalization. It's a brave position, and therefore exceedingly rare among practicing politicians. Which may be why it didn't last. Before the day was over, the Obama campaign issued a statement saying he thinks "we are sending far too many first-time non-violent drug users to prison for very long periods of time" but "does not believe that we should treat offenses involving marijuana with a simple fine or just by confiscating the drug." Recently, he had told a New Hampshire newspaper, "I'm not in favor of decriminalization."

This episode reveals that as a candidate, Obama is more fond of bold rhetoric than bold policies. But it also proves the impossibility of talking sense on the subject of illicit drugs during a political campaign. That course of action would mean admitting the inadmissible: that the prohibition of cannabis has been cruel, wasteful and fraudulent.

Cruel because it leads to the arrest of nearly 700,000 people a year for mere possession of a substance that is comparatively benign. Wasteful because it expends billions of dollars in police, court and correctional resources that could be deployed against dangerous predators.

Fraudulent because it hasn't solved anything: According to the federal government, nearly 100 million Americans have tried the stuff.

But in the political realm, a strangely disjointed view of drugs prevails. Past use is forgivable. Both George W. Bush and Bill Clinton admitted to smoking marijuana, as did Al Gore and John Kerry. Obama has admitted doing the same.

At the same time, no major party presidential nominee has advocated decriminalization (much less legalization) since Jimmy Carter did so in 1976. It would be considered political suicide. So we are now in a bizarre position: A candidate who spent his college days flouting our marijuana laws can be elected president, but an abstemious, button-downed candidate who proposes to change those laws has no hope.

Had we enforced our statutes more vigorously, of course, Bush, and many other officials would never have been elected anything, because they would be ex-convicts. Yet they are happy to put people behind bars for crimes they themselves committed.

One alternative to that approach is decriminalization, which is not exactly radical or untried. It's already the norm in 12 states–not just California and New York, but places like Mississippi, Ohio and Nebraska. About one of every three Americans lives in a state or city where pot users typically don't go to jail.

Despite this lenient approach, Omaha and Cincinnati still would never be mistaken for Jamaica. One thing we know is that criminal penalties have little if any effect on the number of stoners. States that have decriminalized cannabis are largely indistinguishable from states that have not.

A 1999 report by the National Academy of Sciences found "little evidence that decriminalization of marijuana use necessarily leads to a substantial increase in marijuana use." Harvard economist Jeffrey Miron surveyed the available data from here and abroad and agreed: "Existing evidence provides no indication that marijuana decriminalization causes increased marijuana use."

This discovery should not be surprising. Cigarettes and beer are both legally available, but smoking and drinking have been declining for years. Freedom is not incompatible with enlightened self-restraint. In fact, it seems to foster it.

Politicians normally can't say such things. But near the end of his administration, Bill Clinton confided to Rolling Stone magazine that he thought marijuana should be decriminalized. Maybe, eight years from now, Obama will do likewise.

Source: Chicago Tribune (IL)
Copyright: 2008 Chicago Tribune Company
Website: Chicago news, sports, photos, video, blogs, Chicago weather, business, travel, tourism, entertainment and jobs -- chicagotribune.com

Google Ron Paul's stance on the drug war and decriminilization. .....Oh yeah, I forgot ...the ":adore:main stream media :adore:" doesn't consider him a candidate ......my bad . :smokin:

Google Ron Paul's stance on the drug war and decriminilization. .....Oh yeah, I forgot ...the ":adore:main stream media :adore:" doesn't consider him a candidate ......my bad . :smokin:

Ron Paul! We all know that he is going to end the drug war but what most do not know is that he is going to re-write the 14th amendment so that being born in America does not make you a citizen. He is going to eliminate the income tax completely when our country is 2 trillion in debt. As well as eliminate the CIA and the FBI. And then there are the racist rants against blacks that went under his name for 10 years and written from the 1st person. But of course he did not write them he just gets support from America's White supremists and Neo Nazis because of his libertarian stances:rolleyes3. He also posed for a picture with a famous White Supremists and his son at a republican convention.

Don't get me wrong I use to be a Ron Paul guy until this shit got out but after I saw those pictures I could no longer call bullshit. If you are going to vote libertarian vote for a real libertarian who is running for the party not a racist republican wannabee.

Oh and he is not going to legalize anything he is just ending the federal war on drugs, just for your information.

Don't you mean ,children born to illegal aliens won't become automatic U.S. citizens ? The IRS and the income tax is the very reason that the nation is in debt. The CIA and FBI were created without constitutional authorization. All those racist condemnations have been proved to be nothing more than smear tactics. Not only would he end the federal drug war , but also give immediate pardons for those incarcerated for non violent drug arrests. ......Oh ye of little faith !:smokin:

I know why I loved Jimmy Carter, he was human and had half a brain. In that genre John Edwards would have injected so much human reality into these issues we would have been able to be heard on a much lower decibel and therefore not so frightening to the unenlightened. Yup, the're dumb but we just love them. Too bad I think that they don't love us. Yes, Ron Paul is a kneejerk choice for most of us but that passion for the collective country wasn't anywhere but edwardstown. Obama seems the very tiniest bit,well,weasely.

With Ron Paul pretty much out of the picture, I will vote for just about anyone but McCain. He's just an older, paler Bush. I also think that he just wants to expand the Empire of the United States. We need no war, not more war. We need to leave the rest of the world alone and let them government themselves as they will. And the feds need to leave us alone, so that we can live the life we desire.

It don't matter who you vote for...!
The NWO will put who ever they want in power to run the USA, votes are nothing but a front look at all the bullshit that has happen with the USA Electronic Voting Systems and after 2012, I bet you don't haft to worry about much of what you know right now..!

MV...

Now the liberal democratic vote loses 2-8% of the votes because some youth with great ideals lacked the wisdom to study the election system. You have to change the electoral before someone like Paul can get voted in. Even then, popular vote works both ways, (Fortunately).

When it comes down to it, I won't vote for someone that does not have enough votes to challenge the republicans, the results of another republican stay in the white house could spell the end of the United States as we know it, we are heading downhill way too fast to argue petty differences at this point. (I would support them until I see consensus to elect ability)

So vote for Obama, and hope he can do something to get some of our rights back, our international image restored, and clear the executive and judicial branches of the massive corruption. Wishful thinking eh? You think Hillery will change anything on the hill? No, she won't, she can't. She takes too much money from them, and has been working along side these excuses for public officials for too long to even begin to know how to fix this mess we are in.

yes, she's tainted.

i'm not sure how much change can take place with people like the Carlyle group , Rand corp., and Haliburton around. it seems no matter what, corporations are always sticking their dicks into the government's ass. in turn ,the government fucks the people. who are we left to fuck? ourselves, that's who!

You are exactly correct, and you bring up a great point.

A lot of times, large investment groups stay out of the media fray, like KKR. These financiers control vast groups in the government, and must be stopped. We hear about large corporations a lot, but these corporations are backed by even larger, better funded investment groups that have the power to change regulatory decisions, house votes and even draft their own laws, quickly passed in the night with little oversight.

If we don't fix this and campaign financing, nothing will get done.

You have an air of pushiness I find intriguing. This is the conspiracy message that we were told couldn't happen here. Crap, meet the light of day. Very scary and real. I pretty much imagined sordid affairs like this happened in movies. I remember the 50's. We loved this country. Then comes the movie "The Corporation" and to see it and realize what we've lost, breaks our collective hearts.

If I could see this happening when I was 17, why didn't anyone try to fix it back then :)

I told my father about this kinda thing when he was the CEO of a corporation back in the 80's and he shrugged it off. 20 years later, it's reality.

It gets frustrating trying to let people open up their brains and take in numerous sources of information before making up their mind. In this country, it's easier for most to let others to the thinking for them.

Nothing is going to happen until the economy collapses. No money is the only thing that will wake up the American people from their complacency. People get more upset if their cable goes out than the Patriot Act. Bush has been training people that they need the feds to protect them from the "evil doers." Every time the government makes us "safer", we give up rights. The safest people in the world are sitting in solitary confinement in some prison somewhere. I don't need the government to make me safe or to protect me from cannabis! It is time to let freedom ring!

Now a word from our sponsor: Does your job stress you out? Have you been experiencing anxiety attack? Do you have a hard time winding down at the end of the day? Do we have the answer for you! Indica Annie has just released her new "Shit I'm Stoned" brand cannabis reefers to help you land safely from your stressful day. So, hop in that car and pick up a pack at your local store. Now sit your self down and light up a "Shit I'm Stoned" reefer and become one with the universe.

Herb Fellow the way you put that makes it sound like you are talking about all American people and that is not true, some of us see what our Government is doing to the people not only here in the USA but around the world, all so our Government is fucked up for real and when our economy collapses you can bet your ass there will be more then ours economy that collapses and when that happen, I don't give a fuck where you are "you will feel it"... :thedoubletake:
Is that right, fuck no it isn't but that is life... :smokin:
I got to go blow a fatty I'll be back...:grinjoint:

MV... :smokin:

Back
Top Bottom