A very new grower saying hello

Hello again all,

The picture at the top is from 5 weeks ago, this is today,
MJ.jpg

As you can see it's not much different.
My questions are,
How will I know when it's time to harvest?
What and how do I harvest?

Here's a closeup,
MJ2.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

The pistils (hairs) should be a;mot all brown.
The trichomes should be over 70% cloudy. You can wait until many of them turn amber for more of a couch lock effect. This is the most accurate method. You'll need a magnifier or microscope (both under $50) to check the trichomes. If you are not sure, try a staggered harvest, where you chop part of the plant at different times so you can determine when best to harvest your next grow.

Basically, you harvest the entire plant and trim away the parts without many trichomes, starting with any large fan leaves at the chop, and trimming the buds before putting them in a jar to cure. Although not absolutely required, I highly recommend that you add 62% humidity Bovida humidity control packs to the jars for an effortless cure.

Hello again all,

The picture at the top is from 5 weeks ago, this is today,
MJ.jpg

As you can see it's not much different.
My questions are,
How will I know when it's time to harvest?
What and how do I harvest?

Here's a closeup,
MJ2.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Sure looks sticky. ummm

Sure looks sticky. ummm
It was only when I zoomed in in photoshop for the closeup picture that I realized that it did look sticky. So, today I harvested two branches about 8" long each. Due to lack of experience, at the re-potting stage I mixed in blood and bone with the soil so flushing was not an option. Due to the inability to flush I'm trying something a little unconventional. One of the branches is in a pint glass with 1" of water and placed in the sun to see if "post cutting flushing" is possible. The other is in a plastic container with anhydrous (white) copper sulphate as a drying/anti fungii agent.

Considering I started this with a seed at the beginning of December last year, I feel I've come a long way and have learnt a huge amount on the way. Hoping to harvest enough but leave enough growth to go back to veg stage.

And, comments suggestions, advice etc on the above very welcome.

Thanks.

BTW, Old Salt, are the trichromes in the closeup brown/cloudy? Is a photoshop closeup a suitable stand-in for a magnifier/microscope?

I'll just comment that it appears (to me) to be in mid-flower,so you jumped the gun on the harvest,IMO
Another thing I noticed is that there's lots of white pistils,but very few trichomes- no sugar on the "sugar leaves".
I'd say you need to wait another month before you chop anything else.

I looked at the beginning of this thread,it was just starting to flower at the beginning of April,so it's actually been flowering for about 6 or 7 weeks max,and it looks to me like it could go 10,or even a little more.
You should quick dry a small bud and see what you think of the smoke-if it's good enough,then you're golden-if it's "weak" then give the rest of the plant another month,and check it again.
You asked for comments or suggestions,just letting you know what I think-it is your plant,so what you do from here is totally up to you...
It's a nice, healthy looking plant-it's just not "ripe" yet ,in my opinion.

Welcome Pommie, good to see another Ozzie ;) The aroma will Increase as she matures. If you can get yourself something that can magnify at least 120x you will get a clear Indictation of the trichomes and colour (small crystal like resin) you are not looking at the pistol (hair) colour as they could all mostly turn brown and still not be mature.

That's good advice from carcass and Curiousnoob. A magnifier is pretty much essential to gauge when to harvest. You are looking for images like this:

full

CKS Crown Royale, Three Weeks before Harvest

I could have harvested when I took the picture, but I like more amber in the trichomes. A clip on magnifier for smartphones is a good low cost solution. I use an older USB microscope. They are now available with WiFi and double the resolution for about $40 USD.

Thank you for all the comments so far. I've now taken a picture with my Cannon EOS600 and due to the huge resolution (5000px wide) I could zoom in using photoshop and this is what I see,
MJ3.jpg

Is this clear enough to tell when "she" will be mature enough to harvest?

Thanks.

@blue, " The hardest part of the grow is the wait." Oh so true.

That's a good pic-that's exactly what you need to see when she's ready-
2 weeks more might just do it,but sometimes the trichs take a bit longer to show any amber.

She's still cranking out the pistils,and every new batch means the buds are getting a little fatter,
so this part of the waiting game is important, because the longer you wait,the bigger the buds get.
She's got a lot more trichomes than that first pic showed me -zooming in makes all the difference.

Hi all, I'm in Brisbane, Australia, 60 years old and trying my first grow in an apartment which is not without it's challenges. I'm more interested in the medicinal uses - aches etc.

I'm in the process of growing a caramelicious (sp?) from seed. It was planted second week of December and appears to be growing healthily. However, it is now 4 months old and still not budding - or I don't think it is. Not sure if I'd recognize budding if it was/is.

I'm starting to wonder if it might be male and read all I could about sexing but just can't see what I'm supposed to look for.
This is the best picture I can get of the top of one branch.
sex.jpg

Can anyone advise if this is male/female? What might be the next step?

Is there a better angle to take pictures? Or, a better part of the plant?

Thanks.

:cheer: A belated welcome to the forum @Pommie! :cheer:

When you reach 50 posts,you'll be able to vote in our monthly contests for the best plant, nug, and member. It will also allow you to start sending PMs.

Back
Top Bottom