A58dguy's - Deep Water Culture - Skunk Haze - Grow Journal - 2014

a58dguy

Alright guys and gals, here is my humble attempt at a 2nd grow/1st Journal. I just started the germination process last night 22Oct14 and I'm hoping to have them breaking through by Monday. I will be adding pics/more info once everything is in place. An early thanks to those who have def set the standard, and given me goals to shoot for. I thought I was going to just use bag seed, but then I found the 2 freebies from my last purchase and figured why not give them a shot. I should know for sure by mid December if either or both will be female. Thanks again for taking the time to check this out. Any advice/thoughts/questions are always welcome. Thanks again, best of luck to the fellow growers, and have a great day.

What strain is it?
Skunk Haze
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages?
Mostly Sativa (87.5%)
Is it in Veg or Flower stage?
Veg...Just starting
Indoor or outdoor?
Indoor
Soil or Hydro?
Hydro 5 gal DWC
Size of light?
PlatinumLed P300 (100Wx3)
Is it aircooled?
Oscillating fan in the tent
Temp of Room/cab?
TBD
RH of Room/cab?
TBD
PH of media or res?
As close to 5.8 as I can keep it
Any Pests ?
I sure hope not...fought dust mites on the last grow...
How often are you watering?
Its DWC...so constantly, but I will change the water every 7-10 days
Type and strength of ferts used?
General Hydroponics 3 part Micro/Grow/Bloom 50% of the recommended until they show signs of wanting more

Welcome to PlatinumLED family, a58dguy! Here's to hoping you get a couple of beautiful girls from those 2 magic beans..

We'll be following along and should you need our assistance in any way, feel free to give us a call or website chat at any time.

:Namaste:

They will be in a growden 4x2x6.5 tent. The buckets only take up 2 feet when side by side so my intent is to keep the light at approx 14 in for even coverage.

1st update. Both seeds have opened and were placed into individual rockwool blocks that had been soaking in 5.5 ph water. I'll be keeping them in the dark until they break through.

Alright things are starting to feel like I'm actually getting somewhere. The tent is back up, and more importantly the P300 arrived today. The seeds are still just below the surface, but I'm willing to bet they break surface by tomorrow. The plan is to let them get established in the rockwool for a few days and have them in the DWC by the weekend. Anyways here are a few pics of the new light and the tent setup. Thanks again and have a great night.
12655.JPG
21770.JPG
31568.JPG
41204.JPG
5958.JPG

Happy Halloween ya filthy animals:tokin: What we have here is a friendly competition between 2 well known "home improvement" companies. All we know is that they are both skunk haze. The Mrs. selected HD and has named her plant "Doobie" who at this point is off to a slight head start. They will be receiving the most exact care possible, and will be in the shared environment the entire time. They both have started with a ph of 5.7 the temps and r/h as shown in the pics, and the light is currently at 31'. If I were a betting man...and I am. Id have to go 1-1 on female/male 3-1 hermie and jkpt 20-1 pick female and yield within 1/4 oz. Anyways it feels good to get things started again. So many little things learned the 1st grow to make this go so much easier this time around. Still tons to learn, but I think with the new night and a little experience this should go pretty good. Have a great night everyone. :morenutes::peace:
8542.JPG
7686.JPG
6857.JPG
9419.JPG
10455.JPG
111060.JPG

All quiet on the eastern front...I may be making some small changes by this weekend based on how things look.

image15526.jpg
image15527.jpg
image15528.jpg
image15525.jpg

Glad to add some new growth pics. The HD skunk haze seedling did not survive. My honest assessment is the rock wool got to dry during the move to the dwc. I added 2 bag seeds to the HD cube and 1 to the Lowes cube on Sunday morning. Today brought the new growth from the Lowes bucket and its def the bag seed. Hopefully it takes off and a few more break the surface soon. The lights are at 36in. The temps are as in the photo and pH is 5.7-5.9 hope to keep adding more pics soon.

I stuck a drip line up next to the Rockwool to keep it wet for the first few days until roots were showing out of the bottom of the net pot. Why are the light so far away? You're using LED, it shouldn't emit too much heat right? Also work on getting those bucket lightproof. I have those same buckets and lights do get through !!!

The lights are high due to so many seeming to think that the light is to strong for seedlings/clones. Many seem to recommend using cfl's for the 1st cpl of days. I'll gladly lower them if you believe that it's not a factor. Any recommendations on "light proofing" the buckets. I used a "clear white" transparent bucket for the last grow with no issues, but def open for suggestions/ideas.

The lights are high due to so many seeming to think that the light is to strong for seedlings/clones. Many seem to recommend using cfl's for the 1st cpl of days. I'll gladly lower them if you believe that it's not a factor. Any recommendations on "light proofing" the buckets. I used a "clear white" transparent bucket for the last grow with no issues, but def open for suggestions/ideas.

I've had 600W(2x300w) LED pointing at the seedlings at 30" and that was fine, I didn't need that much light though so I have a single 300W LED at 24" right now, I'd have it lower if I could spread the light out evenly but it doesn't really matter right now. Just know what the lower/brighter the light, the shorter/bushier plant you'll get.
The lightproof is to prevent algae, bacteria growth, and shock to the root. roots don't like light. If you think you're fine with it, then you don't have to worry about light proofing it. If you want to take precaution you could just glue some black plastic trash bag or wrap it with black or reflective tape, you could even sand it down a bit then spray paint it black or metallic silver.

Also, it's true that using CFL during the seedling stage works as well, doesn't make any big different from what I've seen. Just the length between each node.

Keep your lights high. I started mine at 32 inches from seedlings and they responded fine with great Internodal spacing. Once the plant has about 3 nodes you can lower it anywhere from 16 to 24 inches. During flowering I've got as close as 12 inches before I saw negative effects of light bleaching.

For light proofing buckets I grab a1 dollar sun shade from the local dollar store and wrap the bucket with it and it seems to work fine

Sun shade I'm talking about looks like foam backed mylar and it's used for car windshields

Keep your lights high. I started mine at 32 inches from seedlings and they responded fine with great Internodal spacing. Once the plant has about 3 nodes you can lower it anywhere from 16 to 24 inches. During flowering I've got as close as 12 inches before I saw negative effects of light bleaching.

For light proofing buckets I grab a1 dollar sun shade from the local dollar store and wrap the bucket with it and it seems to work fine

Sun shade I'm talking about looks like foam backed mylar and it's used for car windshields

Is there a reason why? Naturally when seedlings pop up the Sun doesn't back away until it grows a few leaves. Sun hits the seedlings as soon as it break grounds.

Back
Top Bottom