About This Old Man

dlbMed

420 Member
I started growing hydroponic Tomatoes and Peppers in a greenhouse I built about 15 years back. I have gotten rid of my greenhouse a couple a years back and moved indoors for my medication. I currently use top drip hyroponics based on bato bucket hydro systems and the drain to waste system. I use only Perlite as a medium, no coco. I don't have or want any drain hoses on my buckets so I can move them around, if they are not scrogged. I use a bucket with a lid so IF the drain holes was to plug up the perlite will not float. I made 2 drain to tank tables for my buckets to set on. They are work just like any other flood and drain setups, but I don't flood and drain. I use a recirculating hydroponic system. One of my tables is for veg and the other is in flower room. I also use Chem-gro hemp formula. My setup is a perpetual harvest system, about every 2 mos. My personal favorite day time medication is Strawberry Banana Banner, this is TODAY, day 42 starting week 7 in flower.
IMG_20200112_112248.jpgIMG_20200112_112238.jpgIMG_20200112_112231.jpg

Welcome! Looks like you have plenty of experience to bring to the table around here thanks for joining!

Passive Hydro. Typically buckets with perlite but the bucket is prepared in such a way that the plant has its own reservoir to draw from. You get Hydro growth without all of the equipment and fuss.

Lemon Og Candy in my signature is a Hempy grow. We talk about bucket prep on the first page.

Yep I see now that for about last 15 years "Hempy" is what I have been doing with Tomato and Pepper plants. Started growing my medication in Oct. 2018. It was a no brainer to just change the nuts to fit the crop. All you hempy growers using just perlite can keep it in the bucket by using a 5 gallon paint strainer. What I do is use the larger perlite like #8 when I can get it or #4 if I have to. My buckets set on a flood table and drain back to the tank/res. My pump never shutts off always recirculating nuts. I also use a very good air pump and stones, also never off. The idea for me anyway is that is works like the gutter/down spout hydro setups. So I just use a bucket with a lid, fill it to the top with #8 perlite, put a plant in it, put the lid on it and away we go.
IMG_20200107_171639.jpg

This is from a seed I made. Once the seed came up in the rockwool I put it in the bucket. It didn't even have any roots showing outside the cube. BTW you can use 2 feed lines and the corner holes are for stakes if you need them. I made a little grow tent to use for creating seeds in and this is what I'm going to use in it.
MyHydro Setup.jpg

The tote I did to run some little clones in. But it doubles as a res for the bucket. Notice all the drain holes and how high they go? On my tables if the bucket was to "Plug up" it would just fill up and run over the top back onto the table. I always viewed the aprox. 2" res. at the bottom of the bucket as an emergancy res if the pump went out.

I started growing hydroponic Tomatoes and Peppers in a greenhouse I built about 15 years back. I have gotten rid of my greenhouse a couple a years back and moved indoors for my medication. I currently use top drip hyroponics based on bato bucket hydro systems and the drain to waste system. I use only Perlite as a medium, no coco. I don't have or want any drain hoses on my buckets so I can move them around, if they are not scrogged. I use a bucket with a lid so IF the drain holes was to plug up the perlite will not float. I made 2 drain to tank tables for my buckets to set on. They are work just like any other flood and drain setups, but I don't flood and drain. I use a recirculating hydroponic system. One of my tables is for veg and the other is in flower room. I also use Chem-gro hemp formula. My setup is a perpetual harvest system, about every 2 mos. My personal favorite day time medication is Strawberry Banana Banner, this is TODAY, day 42 starting week 7 in flower.
IMG_20200112_112248.jpgIMG_20200112_112238.jpgIMG_20200112_112231.jpg
I built and used a flood-and-drain Hydro system in 1996. I used 4" PVC pipe, glued together in a rectangle using four elbows (90's), with the long sides being approx. 4'. Of course, the long sides were shelled out using a sawzall. I grew 6 plants total in this system, 3 on each side. Used a holesaw to cut a 1" drain in the low end, and simply fitted an adapter to the high end for hose hook-up. Used an old washing machine pump to move the solution thru the system.

Tell me, have you ever used a wick system?

I built and used a flood-and-drain Hydro system in 1996. I used 4" PVC pipe, glued together in a rectangle using four elbows (90's), with the long sides being approx. 4'. Of course, the long sides were shelled out using a sawzall. I grew 6 plants total in this system, 3 on each side. Used a holesaw to cut a 1" drain in the low end, and simply fitted an adapter to the high end for hose hook-up. Used an old washing machine pump to move the solution thru the system.

Tell me, have you ever used a wick system?
Wick system, I do use this system in my little tent. I just got some 2 gallon buckets, net baskets and air stone. Works great for smaller plants/grow. With that system I put a small layer of clay pellets on the bottom of the net pot. Put the grow cube on it being carfull with the roots. Make sure that your liquid is not touching the net pot but close. The air bubbles will take care of it afer you wet the media.

Here is the same plant at 6 weeks. Keep in mind it didn't even have any roots showing outside the rockwool cube when I put in the 4 gallon bucket.
20200228_144658.png
20200228_144652.png
20200228_144736.png

Back
Top Bottom