About to grow for the first time but need a bit of help.

Mike.0091

K i decided I wanna go ahead and grow for the first time. I wanna grow indoors because that way i can control it better and theres just no good outside spots where i live. Since its my first time im not gonna spend all that much money, this is gonna be my kinda learning grow i guess. My question is this, and tell me if this is a bad idea, id like to grow 2 plants, 1 sativa and 1 indica in my closet. Id like, to purchase some femanized seeds if possible? or whats my best bet here? Also, can some1 please tell me the easiest way to ventilate? Thanks

Because it will be in a closet, are there any particular strains that get more bushy than tall? and does anyone know of any good, reliable seed banks? my brother attempted to grow a few times and spent a nice ammount of money on seeds and got them but they didnt sprout, he tried germinating them in paper towels aswell as just putting them directly in soil

Stick with indica if you're growing in a closet. My indoor sativa is currently almost 6 ft. tall plus the buckets are 1 ft. added to that and it still has a month to go before harvest.

Other than some short strains, like the one moose mentioned, Your best solution for limited space would most likely be LST (Low Stress Training). Easily control your height, and bush it out as much as you would like. Its not difficult, you just have to keep up with it, so you'll be spending some time in your garden. I highley recommend LST for space concerns, and its a lot of fun. . lol

Your ventilation issue. . . I am going to need a little info, and lets see what we can come up with. Are you in an apartment? Closet in your main living space? Is there a crawl space access in the ceiling of your closet? Ventilation is really important, and I can't stress it enough. . . I realize you don't want to spend a lot of money, but you will have to spend some for this. How much are you willing to spend in total?

Bagz :peace:

im looking to spend as little as possible but i dont want to get too cheap of equiptment or its just a waste of money and time. Let me try to explain where it will be set up. i have a dresser in my closet and id like to put the plants on top of it and hang the lights over them either on the closet shelf or from the ceiling inside the closet (depending on how close to the plants they shud be, i may have to take out the shelf). the top of the dresser is 4 ft long and 15 inches in depth. so i figure i can fit up to 5 plants on it maybe. immediately to the right of the dresser inside my closet is the wall (the otherside of this wall is outside). but theres also a window in my room thats about 2 ft away from the closet. there is no crawl space or attic or etc in this part of the house (and where there is, theres no way i cud grow there). im not exactly sure how ventilation works (why im coming to you guys for help on this stuff), so idk whether holes need to be drilled or whats up so the fans and stuff go directly outside, but the less work needing to be done the better. cuz i dont wanna have to completely destroy the walls lol. also, this needs to be as stealthy as possible, which is why im really concerned about ventilation, i cant have my room smellin to high heavens of pot. Any help would be great, thanks.

Well, to ventilate, you need to pump fresh air in, and have an exhaust. You also need a little fan inside to keep the air circulating a bit. . I don't see any way around it, you'll have to tap outside somewhere, cause you need stealth too right? Whats on the outside wall, just on the other side of the closet? (brick, vinyl siding, wood shingles?) Whats the closet wall made of? (Plaster, drywall?) Is this a second floor Closet? Do you own this house so that cutting a hole or two wouldn't be an issue? Doing this will help take care of the odor issues you'll have too. Is this dresser being used for anything? Maybe we could set you up with something there? In the dresser, we could maybe exhaust in the closet, and leave the door open a bit. Maybe add a home made carbon filter and an Ono Block for odor. Just throwing out some ideas. If your set on the closet, I see no way around not cutting 2 holes minimum, depending on the answers to some of these questions, it could be relatively easy.

Bagz :peace:

outside wall is stucco. inside of closet is plaster. first floor closet (1 story house). my mom owns this house (reason why i need to get rid of odor lol). How big of holes are we talking here? id definately want to put them as high or low as possible so that they wont be as noticable on the outside wall. the dresser isnt being used but it wudnt work because its a weird dresser, it has a few shelfs and stuff. the actuall dresser part is only 26 inches tall and 28 inches wide.

Let me start by saying if your mom owns the house and would not appreciate you growing then DON'T DO IT! The risk of growing is assumed by all who live in that house, espescially the legal owner. In some instances getting caught can result in the confiscation of your house and property. Unless everyone envolved knows what you are doing and does not mind then I repeat DO NOT GROW!

With that said, CFL's are enough to get you by on the cheap side. For better results look into a small 250W MH system for which you can buy a HPS conversion bulb. This way you can used the MH for veg and switch to HPS during flowering. Also, a 250W system does not throw off too much heat. As for ventilation, aside from opening the door from time to time, you will need fans and some sort of duct work to take in fresh air and push out stale air.

haha, i definately understand what youre saying RooRman. My situation is kind of complicated. My mom knows i smoke but doesnt really care since i smoke because im bi-polar, and i have a good job and do well in college. not too long ago i told her i was thinking about growing and she didnt like the idea too much but has a "if i dont see it than whatever" attitude about it.

I have a question about lighting. Ive been looking at some different lights and i found a flourescent 4 ft strip with a grow area of 4ft x 1.5ft (which is perfect for my grow spot and that will be good for the strain im going to grow, lowrdyer). ill be growing about 4 plants at a time. of the model i like, theres 3 options of 108watt and 3 options of 216 watt. first is 108w, 3000k, 10000lumens. 2nd is 108w, 6500k, 10000 lumens, and 3rd is 108watt, 6500/3000k, 10000lumens. the 216watts are the same as far as kelvins but are all 20000 lumens. i know nothing about kelvins. the 216 watt's are quite a bit more expensive then the 108 watt ones and this is a low budget grow. im thinking that since lowryder are really small plants, they wud be fine with 108 watts because if i grew 4 then that wud be 2500 lumens per plant. but this will be my first grow and i dont know much about it. so any suggestions will help alot, thanks.

Your growing lowryder? In that case you could probably get away with the smaller system with 4 plants. Any other strain I would say no way.

read my new post in the closet cultivation. i think im going to convert my dresser. but im wondering if a 48watt light will be good enough for 2+ plants. its 4000 lumens

Back
Top Bottom