Abuse Of Marijuana Law Makes It Harder For Everyone

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
The State of Michigan offers a unique opportunity for those who suffer from debilitating illnesses or pain to use an alternative form of relief: medical marijuana.

But unfortunately for the law-abiding users, those who are selling or using outside the restrictions set within medical marijuana card guidelines are giving all users a bad reputation.

Voters approved the law in 2008. According to the Michigan Department of Community Health, 111,451 original and renewal applications have been received since April 6, 2009; the 12,090 applications denied were mostly completed incorrectly or missing documentation.

That means less than 11 percent of applications so far have been denied, validating concerns many citizens have expressed that far too many applicants receive the cards. That does not mean, of course, that all applicants are potheads who want a free pass to smoke whenever they want. Most suffer from chronic pain or cancer; some are terminally ill or want a natural alternative to chemotherapy.

The number of cardholders who have abused the growing and selling restrictions is far too high, particularly locally in Cass County. Cardholders are permitted to possess 12 plants per patient and 2.5 ounces of marijuana per patient.

But when the sheriff's department conducts fly-overs and finds fields of the green plant in back yards; when cardholders are selling to non-cardholders; when even owners of medical marijuana clinics are being charged with multiple felonies, as Sean Erhard of Berrien Township is -- it ruins it for everyone.

Those who follow the rules will begin to fear using, buying and growing. They will not want to be associated with a drug that may inadvertently get them in trouble. Who knows if your grower is legit? Is law enforcement going to watch your every move?

Enforcement of the law is also rather unclear, particularly since the law is rather new and unfamiliar to most states. What happens if a cardholder is arrested and jailed? Can he or she obtain access to marijuana while behind bars? What happens if a grower produces a fake card and poses as legit, selling to unsuspecting buyers? Many of these questions have yet to be answered, and local and county law enforcement are not always on the same page in regard to procedure.

While the medical marijuana law could use some fine-tuning, it has changed the lives of thousands of Michigan residents, most for the better, some not. But taking advantage of the law will tarnish its reputation, making a good idea go bad.

NewsHawk: Jim Behr: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Niles Daily Star (MI)
Copyright: 2011 Leader Publications, LLC
Details: MapInc
Author: Katie Rohman

Now we are trying to justify Prohibition. It is always wrong to write laws against peoples rights. If it's the only way people can make money to live they will.Take away the incentive and there will be no need.The people who need it will and the people who don't won't but then the government is the one with the biggest incentive.

Now we are trying to justify Prohibition.

I am not sure so that Jim is trying to justify it so much as make a point about the current mess that prohibition has forced upon the American public. Prohibition should be lifted on this plant immediately. The so called 'War on Drugs' is a failure and benefits only those who make massive profits from the plant.

Some interesting points can be found here.

I am not sure so that Jim is trying to justify it ....

I'm not trying to justify anything. I didn't write the article, just posted it. I don't always post articles that I agree with. I try to post a wide variety of viewpoints. The news would get to be very boring in a short time if only my views were posted :smokin:

The line gets drawn at reefer madness.

Was never making a comment about Jim nor did I think this was his opinion. What I was making was a statement of the article and my feeling about it.

I love this part: "...concerns many citizens have expressed that far too many applicants receive the cards..." WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT?!?! What possible harm would that cause? In a free country, harmless marijuana should be totally legal. These "citizens" (more like idiots...) are actually saying ".. far too many people have the freedom to do something harmless that we don't like..." Since when does freedom require a permit in a free country??

COME ON, PEOPLE!!!

It was thought that people would finally get what a waste of money. Since it's the war on drugs it's in defense budget and most people are scared to question that because they don't want to be labeled as soft on defending the country.Since very little is actually defending our country it's spent on destroying others. Until they create the revolution they seem to be after the usa lemmings will just keep falling off the cliff.

Back
Top Bottom