Adding bone meal to already potted plants in pre-fertelized soil?

thekingchief

Any help from an experienced grower on this would be appreciated. My Autos have just started entering the flowering stage and I've read numerous guides that say at this point its a good idea to boost Phosphorus levels to aid with bud growth.

I went out and picked up some granular bone meal (Jobes organics 4-10-0) to add to the soil, however I just want to get some feedback before I actually add it. First of all the plants are in store bought soils, one is Miracle Grow Organics and the other is Pro-Mix Premium organic. Is it a good ideal to add additional fert to these types of soil? Also, every account I've read only talks about mixing in bone meal when transplanting or preparing soil before the plants are actually in it. Is it even possible to add granular bone meal, which I understand is water insoluble, to already established pots?

If you'd like to see the plants, check out my picture gallery for pics from today.

Thanks

it can be used in flowering depending on the timing .Either it's a waste OR it breaks down quick enough for the plant to use. So it's a no risk .high reward to try and use it as a boost late in flowering. it's better to use it early that way it has the time needed.to be used.☻GFP

it can be used in flowering depending on the timing .Either it's a waste OR it breaks down quick enough for the plant to use. So it's a no risk .high reward to try and use it as a boost late in flowering. it's better to use it early that way it has the time needed.to be used.☻GFP

Ah thanks. Well they have JUST started flowering so it seems like it would be a good time to add. How would you recommend adding it though considering its insoluble in water, which I assume makes it difficult to get down to the roots? Would it be a good idea to make small holes with a stick or something in different areas of the pot and sprinkle small amounts down?

Yeah... typically it would be used to build a soil...you could scratch into the surface of your soil and would be slowly released into your soil...however...it's not very a accurate way to determine dosage...liquids are easier and quicker...also...You are using soil that feeds up to 3 months...are you sure you need it?...it would be easier if you posted the pics...bottom left corner when you are making a post...My Photo's...cheerz...h00k...:hookah:...Oh!...and welcome to :420:

Yeah... typically it would be used to build a soil...you could scratch into the surface of your soil and would be slowly released into your soil...however...it's not very a accurate way to determine dosage...liquids are easier and quicker...also...You are using soil that feeds up to 3 months...are you sure you need it?...it would be easier if you posted the pics...bottom left corner when you are making a post...My Photo's...cheerz...h00k...:hookah:...Oh!...and welcome to :420:

Thanks for the welcome and taking the time to answer! I started the plants mid may and the soil was brand new, so my guess would be that I'd be fine without it, I was just looking to boost yield if that was an option.

Here are are all 5 plants. 1, 2, 4 and 5 are all in Pro-Mix and 3 is in Miracle Grow. It's not as obvious in the pics, but the ones in PM are all a darker green that's really noticeable in person.

Plant 1:
DSC_025224.JPG
DSC_025321.JPG

Plants 2 (left) and 3 (right):
DSC_025422.JPG
DSC_025722.JPG

Plant 2:
DSC_025521.JPG

Plant 3:
DSC_025622.JPG

Plant 4:
DSC_025819.JPG
DSC_025916.JPG

Plant 5:
DSC_026017.JPG

Dude those plants look near perfect! nice job. I wouldn't worry about adding bone Meal now.id worry about transplanting to a bigger pot and maintaining what you have been doing.GFP

Dude those plants look near perfect! nice job. I wouldn't worry about adding bone Meal now.id worry about transplanting to a bigger pot and maintaining what you have been doing.GFP

Thanks my man! Yea the only real issue I've had recently is about 10 days ago I woke up to tons of holes on the leaves of plants 2 and 3, which you can see if you look closely at the pictures. It drove me insane, as everyday I woke up and found more holes and destroyed leaves but couldnt find any insects. After a ton of research I determined it was Oriental/Japanese beetles. Theyre a real bitch because there isn't many options available to repel them, only to kill them if you see them. I bought a beetle trap and set it up on the other side of my yard and have since caught probably 100s and it seems to have almost totally stopped the destruction, which at one point I thought for sure was going to totally kill my plants. I have trimmed the worst leaves and now am just hoping the remaining damage doesnt have too great an effect on the outcome.

Do you think transplanting the smaller ones into bigger pots is worth it at this point? Theyre all in the very early stages of flowering and are autos, which people around here often say not to transplant? I'll do it if you think it will make a material difference to their size.

Thanks for the welcome and taking the time to answer! I started the plants mid may and the soil was brand new, so my guess would be that I'd be fine without it, I was just looking to boost yield if that was an option.

Here are are all 5 plants. 1, 2, 4 and 5 are all in Pro-Mix and 3 is in Miracle Grow. It's not as obvious in the pics, but the ones in PM are all a darker green that's really noticeable in person.

Plant 1:
DSC_025224.JPG
DSC_025321.JPG

Plants 2 (left) and 3 (right):
DSC_025422.JPG
DSC_025722.JPG

Plant 2:
DSC_025521.JPG

Plant 3:
DSC_025622.JPG

Plant 4:
DSC_025819.JPG
DSC_025916.JPG

Plant 5:
DSC_026017.JPG
My plants are 6 months old and are in a above boxed garden. How often do I give them bone meal and pot ash?

Back
Top Bottom