Adding flavors to buds and drying them

GreenH0rn

Hello everyone

I was thinking about my product and how to improve the quality of the product because my plant is going to finish in two to three weeks (soil grown, Lowryder#2). So I have a question, How do I improve the taste of my product, like giving it a fruity taste like orange flavor? And How to do that? And my second part is about drying the buds. How do i do that and how long do they have to dry?

TNX ;)

Depending on humidity, temperature and airflow. Figure 5-7 days to dry. But then at least another 2weeks to cure. That will help any residual nutrients break down and make your bud taste better.

As for making it taste "Orange". Take some Fresh orange peel and put it in the curing jar with your bud. :) Ive never done it, but I have read it works very well. Just start with less than you think and let it dry in there with your buds for a few days. :thumb:

Hi GreenH0rn!

Welcome to :420:!

I agree with Spimp that the orange peel does alter the flavor (although only slightly) and aroma. I happen to have recently needed to add some moisture back to into some fully dried and cured jars of bud that had gotten a little drier than I meant for them too, and put some orange peel in them for a couple days. Absolutely did what I intended in adding the moisture, with a side benefit of altering the taste and aroma.

I've also heard of people adding orange or some other fruit juice to the water for the plants the last several weeks prior to harvest or even the day of harvest with some positive results, but have no first hand experience.

If you haven't discovered it yet, there is a search feature located under the "Forums" tab at the top left that I use extensively and find invaluable. I've actually searched this same topic/idea before and there are a lot of different ideas in multiple threads.

Hi GreenH0rn!

Welcome to :420:!

I agree with Spimp that the orange peel does alter the flavor (although only slightly) and aroma. I happen to have recently needed to add some moisture back to into some fully dried and cured jars of bud that had gotten a little drier than I meant for them too, and put some orange peel in them for a couple days. Absolutely did what I intended in adding the moisture, with a side benefit of altering the taste and aroma.

I've also heard of people adding orange or some other fruit juice to the water for the plants the last several weeks prior to harvest or even the day of harvest with some positive results, but have no first hand experience.

If you haven't discovered it yet, there is a search feature located under the "Forums" tab at the top left that I use extensively and find invaluable. I've actually searched this same topic/idea before and there are a lot of different ideas in multiple threads.

Well i read that if you add orange extract to water and water the plant 3 hours before you cut it it adds the taste of oranges when you smoke the buds?

Im no sure about that, but I did recently learn something that leads me to beleive your idea is feasible.
Rosemary extract given to MJ will soak into the cells and stay there making the plant much less desirable to bugs. So it makes sense that orange oil would also move into the cells.

Which makes me wonde if I could feed my MJ Hash oil and make it stronger. Although then I may create some new form of Mad Bong Disease. :rofl:
:lot-o-toke:

there are flavoring liquids that you add to your plants in the last 3/4 weeks of flower and you can continue to add them with your flush.

I use one called Sugaree (MFG: advanced nutrients) on 2 of my strains...it adds a wonderful flavor of cotton candy and bubble gum.

I have seen orange, banana, lemon, sour apple, pineapple and a few others made by other mfg's.

I use the sugaree to replace molases in my final weeks and flush.

Not all strains like to be manipulated with these flavorings....while made for us growers I have only tried sugaree as it passed on to me by another grower and I liked it.

there are flavoring liquids that you add to your plants in the last 3/4 weeks of flower and you can continue to add them with your flush.

I use one called Sugaree (MFG: advanced nutrients) on 2 of my strains...it adds a wonderful flavor of cotton candy and bubble gum.

I have seen orange, banana, lemon, sour apple, pineapple and a few others made by other mfg's.

I use the sugaree to replace molases in my final weeks and flush.

Not all strains like to be manipulated with these flavorings....while made for us growers I have only tried sugaree as it passed on to me by another grower and I liked it.

That sounds perfect. Do you have a link where i can buy those things?

;)

In the Botanicare line of SWEET products they have Grape and Citrus IIRC. I have never used them. There is just something about adding a chemical to alter something I'm going to ingest that makes me a bit uneasy.

Please don't take that the wrong way, I'm just an au natural guy. Its your plant, so do what makes you happy and enjoy it more!

B-

I actually was abit concerned with any carcinogens that might be created by burning a substance that was not meant to burn..

I agree with this... seek out strains that provide the flavors you desire or provide them with natural flavor of some sort like growing aromatic plants in proximity

edit --

I have heard of using flower pollen that incorporates itself into the bud for deep flavor but have not yet tried it

Never occured to me it may be something I don't want to consume.... but I surely agree.

Just for my personal info I will check their website for full disclosure on ingredients.

Sugaree as per the label:

0-0-2 OMRI Listed

Soluble Potash (K20) 2% derived from potassium Sulfate.

I use at 2tsp per gal.

EDIT:
I looked at the info submitted by law to sell this product in WA, CA, OR, USA

The metals listed I guess is where it may be sketchy so maybe I'll switch back to blackstrap molasses??

These rates are listed as PPM

Arsenic 10.0000
Cadmium 0.5000
Cobalt 0.1000
Mercury 0.0500
Molybdenum 1.0000
Nickel 1.0000
Lead 5.0000
Selenium 10.0000
Zinc 0.0500

Never occured to me it may be something I don't want to consume.... but I surely agree.

Just for my personal info I will check their website for full disclosure on ingredients.

Sugaree as per the label:

0-0-2 OMRI Listed

Soluble Potash (K20) 2% derived from potassium Sulfate.

I use at 2tsp per gal.

I am glad you are checking... let's see what is in that stuff!

Hey Blazer and Buckshot you really got me thinking, thanks guys and reps too.
I added the metals list with an edit inside my post.

Glad I stuck with this thread and you guys got me thinking about what is actually in the shit....

I will no longer be using the Sugaree....freakin arsenic as an ingredient, ffs :thedoubletake:

Arsenic 10.0000
Cadmium 0.5000
Cobalt 0.1000
Mercury 0.0500
Molybdenum 1.0000
Nickel 1.0000
Lead 5.0000
Selenium 10.0000
Zinc 0.0500

Hey Blazer and Buckshot you really got me thinking, thanks guys and reps too.
I added the metals list with an edit inside my post.

Glad I stuck with this thread and you guys got me thinking about what is actually in the shit....

I will no longer be using the Sugaree....freakin arsenic as an ingredient, ffs :thedoubletake:

Arsenic 10.0000
Cadmium 0.5000
Cobalt 0.1000
Mercury 0.0500
Molybdenum 1.0000
Nickel 1.0000
Lead 5.0000
Selenium 10.0000
Zinc 0.0500

Plus reps for looking and posting this information...dang, that is quite a list. It looks like what you would find in cigarettes :hmmmm:

Hello everyone

I was thinking about my product and how to improve the quality of the product because my plant is going to finish in two to three weeks (soil grown, Lowryder#2). So I have a question, How do I improve the taste of my product, like giving it a fruity taste like orange flavor? And How to do that?
TNX ;)

I've read a lot about that topic and there are 2 ways that may prevent mold:
1 - BEFORE HARVEST - It seems that is possible to "add" flavors to cannabis right before the harvest. Each cannabis has its own phenotypes and each pheno has its own characteristics, including flavor. You can't really add flavors that your plant doesn't own, you can increase the presence of one of its flavonoids. IE: if you are growing lemon haze, you can increase the taste of lemon, but you can't really let it taste like vanilla kush or blueberry.
How do I add the flavor? It seems like the best way to do it is to use bakery essence vials (such as lemon essence for cakes or creams). This thing should be made right before harvest (1-4 hours before chop it down).
I've read that it's suggested to not water the plant for 3-4 days, then add the vial to the water, feed the plants, let them drink the flavored water for 1-4 hours and then chop.

2 - WHILE CURING - After harvest is also possible to add some kind of flavores. It's not suggested to add moist stuff during the curing process because it may create some mold on your buds.
To prevent this, is possible to add dry ingredients in the jar such as tea or tisane bags.

How much liquid flavor per gallon/litre should I use to have the right flavor? really I don't know!
We both may like lemon taste in MJ, but my sensibility to lemon is probably different from yours, so try try try and try, that's the only way I feel to advice you.
PS: not all strains respond in the same way, so you may adjust your recipe on the way

best wishes and let us know!

Back
Top Bottom