Adding sugar?

go4snypr

I have been doing some reading, and came across a couple of posts about adding sugar to get more bud density. I am just wondering when, how and how much a person should add. I have read a couple things about using molasses. Should that be done when the plants are being flushed in the last couple of weeks of flower, or should it have been done already?? Can u just add sugar to the water, if so how much.

Re: Adding sugar??

In all honesty i've not seen any true evidence that feeding sugar in what ever form or molasses increases bud density ???

Which appears to be a legacy of hearsay advice & questionable at best !

Plants feed on sugar, they make it out of water+CO2+sunlight. I'm no botanist or chemist but I understand that it is a different type of sugar, so my guess is that adding regular sugar (like the one you use on your coffee) will probably cause some harmful buildup, and like McFinn said, bad bacteria (and mold too) feed on sugars so it's probably not a good idea to add it, I grow AK-48 in an organic-hydro system and the buds are incredibly dense (I'm talking rock hard), more so than any I have ever seen, so I wouldn't add anything to increase the density. Follow JJ advise and try to pick good genetics and you should be alright, I got lucky and the one I chose is A...... wait for it........ MAZING!

Happy growing!

Molasses is good if your using soil. The carbs feed the microbes and give them energy, plus Molasses has a good amount of K and CA in it which may lead to slight increase in yield, but overall the purpose is to feed the microbes, which break down material into food for the plant :)

The molasses which I use for my plants has written flavour on it so perhaps this is indeed for flavour and in a small extent a thing to give more tasty sweet buds. In addition what I have read mostly its down to the light and nutrition which can give you a larger amount of buddage.

what strain would be considered 'good genetics"?? I really like skunky kushy pot, we ordered some seeds online, got a purple kush and a master kush, as well as some sweet purple.

Skunk #1 is pretty solid then.

Purple Kush and master Kush are both good stuff. Never heard of sweet purple.

I am growing some purple kushes myself this year from seeds. First time for me but my buddy who gave me the seeds had them hit 17 feet last season. Yeah 17 feet tall rofl. Crazy right?

I must admit i did over look the use of molasses & indeed molasse is used as an agricultural fertilizer to which you may find its use in some organic nutrients aviable to growers as it does contain trace value macro, micro nutrients along with some vitamins :thumb:

Still unsure about sugar tho... but you may want to check out more complex forms of sugar being more benifical to the plant.

Either way regular application of concentrated sources source should only be done once a week at best to avoid over use stagnation & other problems.

The facts about sugar are that it feeds microbes and makes them flourish.

The facts of molasses is it does that and it also supplies a good bit of Potash and many minerals.

Thanks for the input, I was paging thru the Marijuana Horticulture book by Jorges Cervantes, and saw a picture that showed 2 buds. One they claimed had been given a sugar for the last 6 weeks of growth and claimed to had a 20% more harvest weight. (pg. 280 if you have the book). but in the nutrients section of the book, for sugar it only refers to molasses or honey, but does not say how much or when.

I use 1 Tbsp per gallon, saw that ratio somewhere ........:hookah:

I have gone way harder and not burned plants using blackstrap molasses.
I have gone like 4 tablespoons maybe 5 or possibly even 6 per gallon and didnt burn.

Keep in mind I only went that hard in mid weeks of flowering like week 4-6 when the plant is really really strong and wants tons of nutes. Also keep in mind I am basically using the molasses as my sole source of potassium for my plants, so if you are already feeding them P then 4-6 tablespoons is too much.

As for the george cervantes test thing. It could of been for other reasons like the smaller bud didnt get enough Potash, or it needed more micro nutes (aka minerals), both of which molasses (and honey to some extent) supply. But I would not take that as fact that it was the sugars which gave the result.

I never even thought of useing that mutch, i add 1 every couple weeks while flowering, mybe on the next one ill try it
a little thicker ,,,,,:popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom