Adding Supplements with Lucas Formula

RaggedyMan

I grow 6-8 plants of 2-4 different strains each grow (still looking for the perfect strain). I have been using the Lucas formula/GH Flora series with great success and not looking to change that anytime soon. Lately though I've been thinking of using the different supplements they offer. Yes I know many say some are snake oil and a waste of money, but I got them from a friend (most all of the GH supplements) so if you can get past the waste of time/money I could use some help.
The ppm at the .5 scale generally runs no higher than 350. When using supplements do I go to my desired ppm with Micro and Bloom then add supplements or do I want to keep everything at the 350 mark to prevent nute burn? I feel like I need the calmag but not at the loss of the required npk Micro & bloom offer. The cal/mag boosts the ppm up so much I'm afraid I'll burn them but if I reduce the base nutrients I feel I'll end up with deficiencies. I can't imagine if I added the floralicious plus or the bloom boosters, sugars and whatever else, what that would do to the "necessary" nutrient ratios.

Are you using GH Calimagic? It has low nitrogen in it so I would dose as the recommendations say and not worry about the ppm rise you are getting. The ppm rising is from the calcium and magnesium that is being adding to your nutrient “soup”, the ppm rise isn’t because of NPK rise. Ppm is a measurement of Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) and basically anything besides purified water will add ppm to your soup. Unless of course what you are adding is at a lower ppm of the soup, in which case it will technically be diluting it. I digress, calcium and magnesium are a good supplement to dose with because they are almost always in need by your plants and it will take a lot in order to overdose with, if you are using a supplement with low/no NPK values. Another good supplement to use is a silica supplement, your plants will benefit from it and again as long as the supplement doesn’t contain any added NPK, nutrient burn won’t be much of an issue unless of course you are high mixing your nutrients, zone out, and dump in the full bottle. :rofl: Supplements that promote root health and growth are another one to use and again hard to over do it to cause harm. It’s when you start adding additional NPK to the mix you need to be concerned, you start throwing off the balance of your base nutrients and causing excess and nutrient burn.

Are you using GH Calimagic? It has low nitrogen in it so I would dose as the recommendations say and not worry about the ppm rise you are getting. The ppm rising is from the calcium and magnesium that is being adding to your nutrient “soup”, the ppm rise isn’t because of NPK rise. Ppm is a measurement of Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) and basically anything besides purified water will add ppm to your soup. Unless of course what you are adding is at a lower ppm of the soup, in which case it will technically be diluting it. I digress, calcium and magnesium are a good supplement to dose with because they are almost always in need by your plants and it will take a lot in order to overdose with, if you are using a supplement with low/no NPK values. Another good supplement to use is a silica supplement, your plants will benefit from it and again as long as the supplement doesn’t contain any added NPK, nutrient burn won’t be much of an issue unless of course you are high mixing your nutrients, zone out, and dump in the full bottle. :rofl: Supplements that promote root health and growth are another one to use and again hard to over do it to cause harm. It’s when you start adding additional NPK to the mix you need to be concerned, you start throwing off the balance of your base nutrients and causing excess and nutrient burn.

Thanks Phantom. Yes, everything I have is GH. On occasion I put a bit of cal/mag in but not near what is recommended, I've been afraid it's going to make it too "hot". I have been adding the Silica the same way but thinking it should also be more. The other supplements I'm sure I could do without, it's just that no matter how good things are going I think it could be a tad better.

If you stick with GH, they probably have feeding charts showing what to dose when using everything altogether. When in doubt I would follow that when using their line of products but maybe work your way up to using full strength. You’re in dwc so you’ll see pretty quick whether the ladies like it or not, or if they want more of it.

I agree some of it might be snake oil but like you, I’d rather see for myself. If you don’t see it working and it’s not killing your plants, it sure as hell won’t hurt to keep using it until it runs out. If you see results good, now you know and can figure out if the cost and labor is worth what you saw for results.

I’ve used GH flora series nutes on 2 separate grows and 3 different strains with good success from the nutrients. The plants are another story but cant blame GH for that. If you’re running DWC go with their recirculating chart here.
F94B0496-2000-4428-B020-F2A6524ABEA1.png

start off around 1/4 strength or less and you should get the “feel” for the ppm range they like. This is also another incredibly helpful chart if you dont already use it.
514BB676-A434-4379-AF74-73A20456A671.png

Thanks Mike. I do have the ph chart taped to the wall in my grow room along with another chart or two. I've used the GH chart in the past but since using the Lucas formula I've not needed it. I'll post some pics soon of what I've got going on, nothing terrible but I think they need something.

They look a little pale to me and in the one pic you can see what I think is light burn. I've cuter several where therl bleached tips were more obvious. I have 2 Mars tsw2000 on them. Only one is showing the bleached tips and it's not even the tallest one. They're all the same age but one is almost a foot taller. 3 9lb Hammers and 4 Tyson's

I’ve got a plant slowly herming on us right now that is 3” from my tsw2000 that is turned to 100%. The tips of the top two “colas” are bleached white. Like a sheet of paper white, leaves and all. Those look like they are having a nutrient issue more than your lights causing the problem.

Yea GH has been awesome for me. Running it for years. I buy the gallon jug and it last me many many grows. The 3 - 1 gallon jugs are only $89. Really cant beat that. Do you have a PPM or EC meter? I find GH to be a little "Hot" if you add everything on the list. Just their 3 line up and cal mag you can mix full strength im sure.

I would say they do look a little pale. Im ok with lower growth turning but my upper cola areas I dont want to much discoloration. Looks like you also have some tip burn. Do you know your pH and your PPM you are feeding?

Ph runs from 5.5 - 6.2, PPM around 350. I use the blue labs gaurdian monitor. . Lights are 24/7, I don't think I mentioned that before, come to think of it I've never done 24/7 always 18/6 so maybe that's a factor in some way?
As far as supplements go I think I have most everything GH makes. Obviously micro & bloom and I also have grow but haven't used it. CaliMagic, koolbloom (liquid & powder), armor is, floralicious plus, flora blend, diamond nectar and flora nectar

If you havent used any of the gro, add some. The chart has them taking grow all the way into week 5 of flower. We’re on week 5 now and using 1.5ml of gro per gallon with no yellowing leaves. Also, 350 ppm seems awfully low for the flowers being that developed. Ours is up around 900-1000ppm right now.

Back
Top Bottom