Adding vertical lights in grow area?

Justones

Has anyone tried vertical LED full spectrum lights along with the top main light in their grow area?
I felt I needed more light because not enough was penetrating through the top. So I got a couple LED light bars to mount vertical. I've only been running them 1 day so far. So I cant tell for sure of it's good. But it does add a good extra amount of light going through the plants.

very little has not been tried before,,

many folks, including myself, supplement their main lighting with lighting from below or from the side

i use archaic cfls for my supplementation, but many use led,, a perfect fit i would think,, just cant get too close with some

cheers friend

many folks, including myself, supplement their main lighting with lighting from below or from the side

The best way to make your wattage count is to improve coverage, part of the reason why two 300w lights are more useful than a single 600w. Focus on lighting the canopy well, from the side or underneath, before worrying about the popcorn bud areas. If you have strips I would lay them horizontally pointing upward and place them in a square grid around your area, then trim the plants into lollipop forms, but that's me. If you don't train your plants and have big main colas growing straight up then side lighting the canopy might be better. You can light stress them with too much light, so obviously be aware of the ways in which they can manifest signs of that stress and keep an eye out.

I dont have room to lay the led tubes on the bottom horizontally. I'm using a single shower stall for my grow. Its neatly kept inside there. I have a 400 watt LED above. A fan, dehumidifier, water & drain in my little slice of heaven. Now the two 108w led tubes on the sides vertical pointing into & thru the plants. I figure it's at least some extra light for what the one on top cant reach.

I'm still setting up the led tube lights. Just mounted them today. I had them just set in there propped up yesterday. The power drivers they sent are kind of crappy. So I'm not going to be keeping them in the system. I'm planning something else for the power source. So its currently working..but temporary setup.

I did remove large fan leaves during veg. Actually quite a few, several times. What my problem is I have 3 plants where there's room for 2. I didnt expect all 3 to make it & be female. So since they did. I just rolled with it.

On a positive note. The vertical led lights are working well. Plants are actually spreading out more towards those side lights. This is also allowing more light from above to get down & thru.

I have found the best way to to optimize lighting is via a SCROG. Then this sort of just works out to what quality of light, hood, ballast you have.

If you flatten the plant to create an even flowering canopy you get the best performance from your lights.

Might be good waiting to defoliate more until they span out with the new light placement, you might be throwing out leaves you could have kept since they may move out of the way a bit. You can also go a little bit easy on defoliating if you have air moving enough so light can reach down through the swaying leaves.

I guess I failed to mention I'm like 2/3 weeks into flower. So I'm not doing much more cutting now. Sorta stuck with where I'm at & trying to make the best of it. Too much plant too little space haha

This is only my 2nd indoor grow. So I'm still learning from it. I did top plants earlier on to split nodes. Also I'm happy that I've not seen any nutrient burn. These should turn out ok considering the confined space problem. I hope..lol

20181007_135237.jpg

You dont need to grow that high. Pruning before flowering is totaly fine. Next time bend and prune them low and thick and use the vertical space for big flowers.

The thing is in the outdoors the distance from the lower plant and the upper plant to the light source is the same. Indoors it matters. To get even ripening you want them all getting the samen lumens. SCROG is a very cool thing to get used to doing.

That one above evenly bloomed so I had no popcorn. Keeps the light at the closest distance to all the flowers all the time.

Looks like a great scrog setup there. I'll probably try something like that when I get a better location to do it.

Back
Top Bottom