Adjusting High PH levels in soil?

Panic

First of all I know it would be easier if I posted a picture of the plants but can't find my camera and dont' think my phone will do justice...I will keep looking.

It's a bagseed CFL Soil grow in day 19 from seed.

50/50 mix of FF Ocean Forest and FF Light Warrior with some earthworm casting spread on top soil to be watered in planted in 5x5 pots during veg cycle.

Watering with distilled water and it tested at 5.5 but when I test the soil it is much closer to 7.0 ph???

I have only added one round of base nuetrients Advanced Nutes Iguana Juice Grow at 1/4 strength and I don't think it was a problem....EXCEPT I did splash some on the leaves and my CFL's are about 2.5 inches from the top's of the plants so that could have caused some of the following problems but not the mail culprit.

I have leaves that are showing, what I think is PH spotting and even some PH twisting and some leaves are getting brittle!!

I think I need to flush with straight distilled water BUT I want to PH it down to about 4.5 before flushing in hopes it will bring the soil ph down closer to 6-6.2. I've read that I should do it over the course of a week and not all at once...maybe lower it to 5.0 today then drop it to 4.5 in a couple of days.

Does this sound right to any of you more advanced growers? I would hate to ph shock my plants more before I even get them sexed!!

Thanks in advance good people......

peace.

Why in the world would you give your plants water at 5.5 ph?

If you have one of those soil testers, throw it away!

You measure soil ph by measuring the ph of the runoff....
How can I measure the pH of soil/soilless runoff?

I would recommend that you add Dolomite Lime to your soil when mixing, for all soil and soilless grows. It's cheap, and it does an excellent job of maintaining ph stability throughout your grow.

One measure of a successful grower is being proactive, not reactive. :)

I guess I am trying to be proactive but sometimes (when you're a new hobby level grower who works 70+ hours a week and has a family) you are limited to being reactive.

Anyway, on a more positive vibe......

I was using a cheap soil probe that I don't really trust. I went to my hydro shop and picked up a Milwaukee pH pen last night and will give a shot when I get back home tonight and have time to soak it storage solution and calibrate. I will test the run off water after the soil is dry and I apply distilled water slowly.....

I also had a pH test kit that you put water in, add the solution and shake. You match up the color of your sample with the color on the bottle...well I'm color blind and didn't want to wake the wife so I may have overreacted....at least it was a reaction!

I actually think my pH may be low after reading hours of journals on this site and others and looking at hundreds of pics of distressed plants. Sounds like my soil mix may have been pretty "hot" for growing from seed (maybe causing some mistaken nute burn for pH burn).....but who knows.

I think I understand that the girls in soil, like the pH to be around 6.5 to 7.0 or so??? Does that sound right to you? I have all the pH up and pH down I need and the means to test....And I will figure it out....with help from experts like you Hogdaddy and Diesel Farmer.

Thanks for taking the time and thanks for helping me learn.....I only want to get better and I there is plenty of room for improvement

peace....

First off, listen and heed Hogdady's advice.

Second, they way I test runoff is this. Water your plant well, totally saturated and with~30% runoff. Let it sit and drain well for 1/2hr or so. Put a saucer underneath to catch the runoff THEN slowly add water till you get enough to test in the saucer. By being in contact with the soil for a bit, you get a much more accurate reading on the water.

DD

I guess I am trying to be proactive but sometimes (when you're a new hobby level grower who works 70+ hours a week and has a family) you are limited to being reactive.

Been there, done that. My proactive reference was about the dolomite. A little effort up front will pay big dividends down the road. I learned the hard way after 2 failed crops. Your soil mix also needs some perlite...

I think I understand that the girls in soil, like the pH to be around 6.5 to 7.0 or so???

6.3 to 6.8 for soil...

Thanks for taking the time and thanks for helping me learn.....I only want to get better and I there is plenty of room for improvement

When I first came to the forum I had some major issues. Lots of folks helped out and I read everything I could...twice...

Good growin' to ya! :)

First off, listen and heed Hogdady's advice.

Second, they way I test runoff is this. Water your plant well, totally saturated and with~30% runoff. Let it sit and drain well for 1/2hr or so. Put a saucer underneath to catch the runoff THEN slowly add water till you get enough to test in the saucer. By being in contact with the soil for a bit, you get a much more accurate reading on the water.

DD

DD, I will always heed the advice of a grower with credentials like Hogdady!!

And I will try your method....

Thanks DD!!!

peace.......

Been there, done that. My proactive reference was about the dolomite. A little effort up front will pay big dividends down the road. I learned the hard way after 2 failed crops. Your soil mix also needs some perlite...

6.3 to 6.8 for soil...

When I first came to the forum I had some major issues. Lots of folks helped out and I read everything I could...twice...

Good growin' to ya! :)

Thanks Hogdady!!

I will make some adjustments and see where I come up. I will shoot for the pH guidelines you posted. And I will try not to overthink my grow....Not that that's going to be easy.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to help.....I will get better!

peace and harvests.......

Back
Top Bottom