Adventures In Growing: Okay Folks, They're Going In!

Hey OWG - are you sure you've got a nutrient lock out? I would of up'd my nutrient feeding a bit as they're looking hungry and then see if your leaf discoloration continues. I'm afraid the flushing could worsen your problem if you do not have a nutrient lock out.
How are things looking now? :high-five:

I've noticed nutrients will actually change color and smell ounce they go bad
I haven't used them enough to notice the change Cotarakos, one crop a year, then from October to May everything goes in the closet.

Hey OWG - are you sure you've got a nutrient lock out? I would of up'd my nutrient feeding a bit as they're looking hungry and then see if your leaf discoloration continues. I'm afraid the flushing could worsen your problem if you do not have a nutrient lock out.
How are things looking now? :high-five:
Hey Irie, flushed them out last Friday and the leaf discoloration has stopped. I'm letting the soil dry out a little before I start feeding them 1/2 strength nutes. Photo's coming, long weekends always mess me up for the day of the week, especially now that I'm semi-retired.:hmmmm:

I'm letting the soil dry out a little before I start feeding them 1/2 strength nutes.
Sounds like a good plan.
Glad to hear the leaf discoloration has came to a halt :high-five:
long weekends always mess me up for the day of the week, especially now that I'm semi-retired.:hmmmm:
I hear ya on that! :rofl:

Hi Brudders, sorry for the delay, it was a long weekend here at the lake and I lost a day or two somewhere. :hmmmm: The sisters seem like they're doing okay after the flush, growth is good and colour is marginal. Here's what happened
Canuk White Widow AF, currently 18" tall with sparse, widely space foliage, well into flower with a lot of separation between nodes, fan leaves are losing colour as the plant pulls energy out of the leaves and into flower production. In close ups you can see the trichomes just starting to come in. Turns out that what I thought was a nitrogen deficiency (yellowing leaves)was a natural part of it's life cycle.
Canuk Cheese AF currently about 16" tall with fairly dense foliage, it's developing massive buds on all flowers, I swear it seems like two thirds of the plant is covered in bud. Trichomes are well into development. I've started some LST to give the flowers more light.
Considering their rough start I'd have to say they're somewhat short but doing alright.
Royal Queen Royal Cookies AF Currently about 14" tall, very dense foliage, true to her indica roots. I can see that I'm going to have to do some LST once she gets a little taller.
I've gotten rid of my salty Green Planet nutes and switched to an Advanced Nutrients product PhPerfect it's too early to tell how effective it's going to be, but according to what they've told me I don't have to modify the Ph on my water anymore! They claim to use some sort of chelation process for their nutrients that allows the plant to take it in at any Ph between 5 to 8, that means I take it from the tap, let it stand for an hour or two to let some of the chlorine flash off (purely a personal preference), mix in the nutes and feed it to my plants. We'll see how they turn out.
Here's some recent pics to ponder, as always your comments good or bad are welcome. :thumb:

Hey my friend. :ciao:
Turns out that what I thought was a nitrogen deficiency (yellowing leaves)was a natural part of it's life cycle.
It is too early in the plants life cycle for your leaves to be discolouring so drastically. The plants are hungry and if you do not sort it out soon all the yellow leaves will start dropping and your growth will slow down rapidly and the plant will not have enough energy to produce the flowers you are looking for.
I'm worried you may have flushed all the goodness out of your soil. You'll need to do a couple good feedings to get things back on track :high-five:
switched to an Advanced Nutrients product
I have not used these nutrients but they are common among cannabis growers. Did you get the 3 part range? Grow, micro, bloom?

It is too early in the plants life cycle for your leaves to be discolouring so drastically. The plants are hungry and if you do not sort it out soon all the yellow leaves will start dropping and your growth will slow down rapidly and the plant will not have enough energy to produce the flowers you are looking for.
I'm worried you may have flushed all the goodness out of your soil. You'll need to do a couple good feedings to get things back on track :high-five:

I have not used these nutrients but they are common among cannabis growers. Did you get the 3 part range? Grow, micro, bloom?
Keep mind,these are autoflowers, their life cycle is based on time not the number of hours of light. Both of them have been in the ground for 8 weeks, the seed supplier states that they will be ready for harvest in roughly 8 - 10 weeks. Given our recent heatwave and their rough start, I'm assuming they should be ready at around the 10 week mark. The trichome production has started and they have another two weeks to get frosty. They've had the three part Ph Perfect nutes twice in the last 6 days.

Okay folks I'm starting to stress a bit now, the girls have been in soil for 20 days now and have only grown to a height of less than 2" and I'm not happy especially with the Royal Cookies still only the two true leaves! :( Can anyone offer some advice?
I've had my grow enclosure set up and running for a day now so they've gone from 240W CFL to 1000W HPS, I'll be repotting into 5 gal cloth geopots in a day or so. Hopefully I'll see some major growth by my next entry. I'm actually kinda proud of my enclosure, the white membrane I've lined it with is actually has a better reflective index than the mylar that lines a lot of grow tents, I used zip ties to secure it to a wire grid and lined the floor with the same membrane. The 1000 W HPS bulb heats the place up substantially but I've got a fan blowing air into the enclosure to keep it cooler. I'm thinking I might have to upgrade my smoked safety glasses to welding goggles it's so bright under those lights when I get out from the enclosure I literally can't see for a few moments, it's like a 3' diameter flash went off in my face.:cool:
Anyhow, I hope the move to the stronger light and bigger pots makes a positive difference in my growth rates, I'll be starting to gradually add nutrients once they get into their big girl pants. Again, can anybody offer me any advice about the Royal Cookies, she's an indica autoflower hybrid that I've never grown before, it the behaviour normal?
Here's some pics.

Love that set up onewarmguy

Hello to all my brother (and sister) budders out there. I'm sorry this is late, it's been a busy week. Great progress recently both the White Widow and the Cheese are in full flower and covered in trichomes, Royal Cookies is now at 23 inches tall and rising fast, keep in mind she's a month behind the other two.
I've included a special treat in my pics this week and included some macro photo's using my camera's microscope function at 40 power magnification, the depth of field is extremely limited, but if any of you area curious what a fresh trichome looks like this is the place to see. I'm thinking of entering one for photo of the month, if you think I have a chance make your suggestion in comments.

Here's the stats:
Switched nutrients to Advance Nutrients Ph Perfect Grow, Micro & Bloom, also using their Big Bud and Bud Candy, Based on reviews of these products I'm mixing to 75% of the recommended concentrations.

Canuk White Widow - full flower with trichomes developing and most fan leaves yellowing (normal for this stage) - 23 inches tall with 17 bud sites 14 of these are longer than 1.5 inches and the one on the main cola is around 4 inches, buds are well coloured and dense with a piney earthy smell. Trichomes are generally clear with about 15% getting cloudy

Canuk Cheese - Full flower with trichomes developing, most fan leaves have turned a dark yellow -8 very dense almost to the point of solid buds most are over 3 inches long with the one on the main cola is a massive 11 inches! of lovely extremely dense buds with a lovely aroma of pine and cheese. These buds sparkle with huge mostly cloudy trichomes.

Royal Queen Royal Cookies -still in growth stage at about 23" tall, some of the older lower fan leaves have turned yellow from the previous fiasco of out of date nutrients resulting in a high salts condition, she seems to have survived the flush with few ill effects and has grown about 6 inches in the 3 weeks since the flush. Seems to be coming along nicely, keep in mind she was started a month behind the otherS so I expect to see her start to flower within the next week or two.

QUESTION: I'm growing for max THC content and was planning on harvesting when the trichomes were at about 25% amber based on previous advice and experience. Am I on the right track or should I cut em earlier when the trichomes are all cloudy? Or later when more of them are amber?

Anything I've forgotten to consider?

Love that set up onewarmguy
Thanks Cotarakos, I'm rather proud of it, I can increase the height of the enclosure to about 5 feet if necessary using the folded material, it's quite stiff at roof temperatures but gets flexible if it's warmed up somewhat. I've included some rather nice photo's of trichomes this week, check em out and let me know if you think I should submit for photo of the month.

Hey Irie, check out the new pics the White Widow and Cheese are in full trichome production and I got some nice macro shots. The buds on the Cheese are massive!

Looking good OWG! Nice to see your garden delivering the goodies for you!
I don’t know much about when different strains are ready (and what GREAT genetics you have!) but the advice I was given was to look at the trichomes inside the actual flower. The trichs on the sugar leaves will always mature first and may be misleading.

Thanks Double D, Never heard of looking at trichs inside the flower, but it makes a lot of sense. :idea: I'll give it a "shot" it'll take several pics before I get anything usable, the depth of field when taking photo's at that kind of magnification is less than 1/2" and the slightest movement of the camera throws everything off, I can't use a tripod because it won't let the camera get in close enough to focus. I'm thinking of entering photo 8260729 from the Canuk Cheese although I might crop it a little, it shows the pistils in both colors and trichomes at both the clear and cloudy stage.

Okay all, sorry for the hold-up, here's a long overdue update. First the stats
Canuk White Widow 22" high in 8th week of flower, approxiately 5% amber & 75% cloudy trichomes - harvest is imminent (3 or 4 days)? Flowers and sugar leaves are white with resin and a beautiful Piney aroma. Gave her a haircut and removed most of the fan leaves I'll take care of the rest once I prep the buds for cure. Got some great pics for this post, got a little embarassed by the fuzzy micro pics I've been posting so I broke down and bought a cheap boom tripod for the camera, lets me get up close and personal with my buds. Big improvement don't you think?

Canuk Cheese - 17" high also in 8th week of flower Trichomes are still about 70% cloudy and the rest are clear, maybe 7 - 10 days to harvest. The buds on this girl are awesome! The one on the central cola is almost 10" long and really dense, it's so heavy It bent the central stalk about 45 degrees and I had to brace it up. Flowers and sugar leaves are incredibly dense with trichomes, it's practically dripping resin.

Royal Cookies - 27" high in 1st week of flower, did some trim on some yellowed fan leaves that have been around for a while. I won't be surprized to see this girl top 36" once she finishes stretch. IMPORTANT QUESTION!!! What the hell is this powdery white crap on my leaves? It brushes off but it all seems to be in the same general area, the center of the leaf fan. Is it mold? or even worse is this feminized plant a hermie and I'm looking a pollen? If it's a hermaphrodite I need to chop it immediately but how do I treat mold? Check my pics below....please

Last minute update, The Royal Cookies went hermaphrodite on me :rip:, it was supposed to be a feminized autoflower from Royal Dutch seeds, it's chopped and in the trash bin. Given that it was producing pollen I'm going to assume that it fertilized my White Widow and Canuk Cheese and harvest them tomorrow, they may not be at the absolute peak of perfection but they're pretty damn close from the looks of them. Stay tuned for the harvest report.

HARVEST REPORT: Here's what they gave me folks!

Canuk White Widow: Final height - 22" Trichomes - Easily visible dense formation with about 15% clear, 80% cloudy, 5% amber. Harvest weight less stalks and fan leaves - 168 grams. Dried weight fully trimmed - 29 grams. Currently in mason jar for cure with a 62% Boveda pack. Nice piney mango aroma. Test vaped a dried popcorn bud and potent is an understatement, I think I got hit by the weed truck, after the initial head buzz it turned into a stimulating, imaginative high that was extremely long lasting and didn't trap me on the couch. I'm keeping this one saved for use with friends...good times.

Canuk Cheese: Final height - 18". Trichomes - visible dense formation with about 40% clear 60% cloudy, no amber. Harvest weight less stalks and fan leaves - 248 grams. Dried weight fully trimmed - 42 grams. Currently in mason jar with 62% Boveda pack. Sour peppery aroma. This plant was fertilized by a rogue male late in the flower cycle. At time of harvest there were lot's of easily visible trichomes but seed formation had started although the shells were still soft. Haven't tried it yet, I don't like the aroma :(, but that might have something to do with it forming seed. I'll try vaping a bud later this week, but I think I might just see how much rosin I can get out of it. Comments?

Royal Cookies: The less said about this the better. A supposed feminized autoflower from Royal Queen seeds turned out to be a full blooded male. Luckily enough it got started a month after the others, so they were well into flower by the time it started shedding pollen. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

As always comments are encouraged

Congratulations on the harvest OWG!
I bet those strains will knock your socks off when they’re cured.
Personally, I’d have been as excited for the seeds but then you can probably buy them where you are.
Well done mate.
Just the smoke reports now.
What are you up to next?

Back
Top Bottom