Adventures In Growing: Okay Folks, They're Going In!

onewarmguy

Hi All, welcome to my journal, this is my third and most ambitious grow yet and I'm hoping for a lot of advice from all experienced farmers. I have an excellent camera for photo's (it'll do up to 12X magnification) so look for some good ones, just remember I'd like a credit if used anywhere else. Look for weekly updates and pics, if I get lazy, feel free to spank me as long as my last post doesn't read "In Memory of" !

I'm growing three different autoflowers this season
1) Canuk Seeds - White Widow (sativa hybrid)
2) Canuk Cheese (a freeby I got from True North Seed Bank another sativa hybrid)
3) Royal Dutch Seeds - Royal Cookies (indica hybrid).

Currently in 3" jiffy pots I'll be transplanting to 5 gal. cloth pots once the true leaves get to about 1.5" long.

Growth Medium
All will be grown in dirt (Miracle Mix, a Ph neutral potting soil with a little perlite added) and I'll be using Green Planet Nutes at a lower than suggested strength I may increase the strength later on depending on results. Water will be Ph balanced to 6.5.

Lighting
Starting with 240 W of T5 cool white florescents of approximately 4500 K for veg set approximately 8" above the seedlings and a 1000 W HPS of approx. 2700 K in a 4 ft diameter white reflector in flower. Light height for HPS is adjustable.
Any comments about 23 hour light exposure of the seedlings? We've had some really nice warm sunny days here recently and electricity is REALLY expensive here.

Enclosure
My grow enclosure will be an open white TPO sheet with a reflectivity index of 93%, in an unheated garage. At this time of year night time lows are a concern but I do have an electric heater in case of emergency.

Germination
I've used the saturation and modified paper towel method (I wrapped the paper towels with unbleached coffee filters to discourage any of the fine roof from penetrating the paper towels) and had 100% success with all three seeds in less than 4 days. All three had good root formation of between 1/2 to 1" when they were placed into 3" jiffy pots.

Hey @onewarmguy! :rollit:
Nice setup and genetics! Thanks for the detailed intro on your grow - i'm looking forward to follow this one! :ganjamon:
Looks like you're off to a great start, good to see the girls have broken ground! Let the fun begin...:morenutes::passitleft:

Hey all, Week One update time. I always find this time to be exciting, tiny little plants have come to life at my bidding and are starting to turn into something real. All three, Canuk White Widow (Sativa Hybrid), Canuk Cheese (Indica/Sativa Hybrid) and Royal Queen Cookies (Indica Hybrid) are coming along nicely , over the week they've grown just over 1" with the Canuk Cheese bringing up the rear at about 3/4", but it's tap root was a little funky when she got put in dirt and it didn't go straight down. They've all started sprouting their 2nd set of true leaves, although the Royal Queen Cookies are just hairs right now as you can see in the pics.
They've been getting a fair amount of light as we've had some good weather up here at the lake and even when we don't I've got them on a 14 on 10 off regimen.
Watering at a 6.5 Ph with about 1/3 (1 ml/ltr) the recommended strength of Green Planet Root Builder
Your comments are appreciated, sometimes even valued!

Hey @onewarmguy ... sure let me take a quick peek ...

Do you mean Miracle-Gro for your potting soil?
If so, then it is not really suited for cannabis ... Can You Grow Cannabis with Miracle-Gro Soil or Nutrients?

Also ... you should use about 20% perlite in your soil because you need good drainage and good aeration. Rinse the dust off the perlite or it will sink to the bottom of the pot and act like a cement barrier.

For your nutrients ... is it a 3 part series like ... 2-1-6 (veg), 5-0-1 (preflower), 0-5-4 (bloom)?

Do you have Cal-Mag?

Do you have a root stimulator?

With light, you can go 24 hours for seedlings ... but most experiments show that 20 hours on and 4 hours off is ideal. You need the dark period for the Calvin Cycle to kick in etc.

Watering right now is critical. You are trying to grow the roots. If you over-water the roots, they can't get oxygen and they will rot. You want to let the soil nearly dry out and then add a bit of water very slowly in a circle around the seedling.

Please read this article for watering ... The Proper Way To Water A Potted Plant

Also for watering ... one day set the pH to 6.3 ... and another day set the pH to 6.7 ... vary it so you get good nutrient uptake.

Later on you will also measure pH run off and ppm.

Here is a grow that will interest you and maybe even give you some tips ... Homer's Legal 4-Plant Max Perpetual
Minimalist Garden In Ontario

Cannabis will grow in many soils with many nutrients ... but it is critical to control your environment ... that is ... temperature, humidity, CO2, and light. So you need to make sure you have a little fan for air circulation and to gently apply a breeze to the seedling, some humidity around 60%, and an even temperature around 25°C (77°F) on and a few degrees lower for lights off.

Alright ... thanks for inviting me into your grow journal ... and let's get these seedlings growing the way you want them to!

Hey @onewarmguy ... sure let me take a quick peek ...

Do you mean Miracle-Gro for your potting soil?
If so, then it is not really suited for cannabis ... Can You Grow Cannabis with Miracle-Gro Soil or Nutrients?
No, it's Miracle Mix a Ph neutral potting soil premixed with perlite, composition is almost exactly the same a Fox Farms OF but without the bat guano.

Also ... you should use about 20% perlite in your soil because you need good drainage and good aeration. Rinse the dust off the perlite or it will sink to the bottom of the pot and act like a cement barrier.
I generally add a little additional perlite for drainage and I've had great success with it.

For your nutrients ... is it a 3 part series like ... 2-1-6 (veg), 5-0-1 (preflower), 0-5-4 (bloom)?
I'm using Green Planet and it's more like a 6 part series

Do you have Cal-Mag?
Of course, but I don't usually start that until she's well into flower

Do you have a root stimulator?
Already using at about 1/3rd recommended strength, that'll go up and some additional nutes once they start to seriously veg. Right now the stimulator (GP Root Builder) is all I use although I have added a couple of cold galvanized nails to the potting soil to give it some zinc.

With light, you can go 24 hours for seedlings ... but most experiments show that 20 hours on and 4 hours off is ideal. You need the dark period for the Calvin Cycle to kick in etc.
I'm using a 14/10 for them now, electrical power costs a ton up here at the lake, their all autos so they can thrice on that. I give them some full sun once in a while when it's shining and I'm home to keep an eye on them. Once they get past seedling stage I'll switch to a 1000 W HPS bulb and reflector with a 4 ft high enclosure and watch my electric meter go into warp drive, damn bulb costs almost $8/day to run. I'll probably invest in an LED system if I ever get some cash to spare.

Watering right now is critical. You are trying to grow the roots. If you over-water the roots, they can't get oxygen and they will rot. You want to let the soil nearly dry out and then add a bit of water very slowly in a circle around the seedling.

One nice thing I like about Jiffy pots for seedling is that you can water from the bottom. The pots suck the water up their sides and encourage roof growth, I only provide water when they dry out, about once every 3 days. I still spray apply some water to the leaves once a day, but just a light mist.

Please read this article for watering ... The Proper Way To Water A Potted Plant

Also for watering ... one day set the pH to 6.3 ... and another day set the pH to 6.7 ... vary it so you get good nutrient uptake.
I've never thought about varying my Ph I generally keep it as close to 6.5 as I can, but it sounds like a good idea; Different Ph = different uptake ratios of nutes, the plant will take what it needs.

Later on you will also measure pH run off and ppm.
I measure Ph runoff once they get a little bigger and they're into the Geopots, I sprang for a good Ph meter this year so I don't have to fuss with the drops anymore, but I've never checked dissolved solids. I'll look into it.

Here is a grow that will interest you and maybe even give you some tips ... Homer's Legal 4-Plant Max Perpetual
Minimalist Garden In Ontario

Cannabis will grow in many soils with many nutrients ... but it is critical to control your environment ... that is ... temperature, humidity, CO2, and light. So you need to make sure you have a little fan for air circulation and to gently apply a breeze to the seedling, some humidity around 60%, and an even temperature around 25°C (77°F) on and a few degrees lower for lights off.
I'm growing in an unheated garage so I'm almost at the mercy of the elements for environmental conditions but with a small fan, a steam humidifier and a small electric heater I can handle any major problems. I use an open top enclosure that I've made myself with the 3 ft. diameter reflector as the top, I can adjust the reflector height as necessary. I'll post some pics once I get it erected.

Alright ... thanks for inviting me into your grow journal ... and let's get these seedlings growing the way you want them to!
Your more than welcome SQ12, I'm a big believer in what goes around comes around, you might notice me posting some graphics and info to help out the junior growers that are running into troubles that I've had myself. For a plant that grows abundantly wild in warmer climates, between bugs, mould, fungus, viruses, and nutrient problems it's amazing how much can go wrong once you get a little farther north. I just have to keep reminding myself that it's a numbers game for wild plants, one fertilized female can produce thousands of seeds and if only three of them sprout it's ahead of the game. I remember back in the old days when we didn't know any better (read young and dumb), weed was $20 an ounce and you'd get about 50 seeds and numerous twigs mixed in there and THC content was probably less than 7% vs what's legally available today in Canada.
Cheers

Okay folks, they've been in dirt for a total of 14 days, all the girls are about 2" - 3" tall and seem relatively healthy with some minor concerns. The white widow and cheese seem to be coming along well but the Royal Cookies has got me a little worried. The White Widow and Cheese are both primarily Sativa AF hybrids, but the Royal Cookies is an Indica AF hybrid. I've never grown an Indica of any sort before, are they typically slow starters? I realize it's a different strain but shouldn't it be starting to show some more true leaf formation by now? Have a look at the pics and tell me what you think.

Canuk Cheese is showing a faint tinge of yellow so I'll be giving her just a trace more nitrogen in the coming week. White Widow is moving right along looks healthy and active.

They've all been getting 1/3 rd strength root builder every other watering and I just mixed up a full 1 litre batch of 1/2 strength veg stage nutes to start using once they go under the big light.

I'm thinking that they should all go under my 1000 W HPS bulb next week, which means I have to put my enclosure together, once they get about 3 to 4 inches, I'll transplant into 5 gal geopots with the same potting mix plus about 20% sterilized garden soil

Cookies, cheese, cheese, cookies..
You guys are making me hungry!
:morenutes:

LOL You don't need weed to suffer from munchies my friend. Maybe I can make a cross and call it cheese cookies It'll taste something like halva or mascarpone

Hey all, Week One update time. I always find this time to be exciting, tiny little plants have come to life at my bidding and are starting to turn into something real. All three, Canuk White Widow (Sativa Hybrid), Canuk Cheese (Indica/Sativa Hybrid) and Royal Queen Cookies (Indica Hybrid) are coming along nicely , over the week they've grown just over 1" with the Canuk Cheese bringing up the rear at about 3/4", but it's tap root was a little funky when she got put in dirt and it didn't go straight down. They've all started sprouting their 2nd set of true leaves, although the Royal Queen Cookies are just hairs right now as you can see in the pics.
They've been getting a fair amount of light as we've had some good weather up here at the lake and even when we don't I've got them on a 14 on 10 off regimen.
Watering at a 6.5 Ph with about 1/3 (1 ml/ltr) the recommended strength of Green Planet Root Builder
Your comments are appreciated, sometimes even valued!

Great start!!

Thanks Kush

Okay folks I'm starting to stress a bit now, the girls have been in soil for 20 days now and have only grown to a height of less than 2" and I'm not happy especially with the Royal Cookies still only the two true leaves! :( Can anyone offer some advice?
I've had my grow enclosure set up and running for a day now so they've gone from 240W CFL to 1000W HPS, I'll be repotting into 5 gal cloth geopots in a day or so. Hopefully I'll see some major growth by my next entry. I'm actually kinda proud of my enclosure, the white membrane I've lined it with is actually has a better reflective index than the mylar that lines a lot of grow tents, I used zip ties to secure it to a wire grid and lined the floor with the same membrane. The 1000 W HPS bulb heats the place up substantially but I've got a fan blowing air into the enclosure to keep it cooler. I'm thinking I might have to upgrade my smoked safety glasses to welding goggles it's so bright under those lights when I get out from the enclosure I literally can't see for a few moments, it's like a 3' diameter flash went off in my face.:cool:
Anyhow, I hope the move to the stronger light and bigger pots makes a positive difference in my growth rates, I'll be starting to gradually add nutrients once they get into their big girl pants. Again, can anybody offer me any advice about the Royal Cookies, she's an indica autoflower hybrid that I've never grown before, it the behaviour normal?
Here's some pics.

Thanks LTKNG

LOL from me? Hate to say this LTKNG but the only thing you might learn from me is how NOT to grow White Widow.

LOL I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Hey OWG. I was hoping someone with expertise would wade in, but...
I stalled my bagseed beauties for weeks at about that size, maybe a node or two up. The leaves went hard and waxy. It was a head scratcher. Then I came across a thread where someone was banging on about VPD with a near religious fervour. I went and got a hygrometer and an infra red thermometer and bingo, e voila, hey presto etc. Like magic (well, science really) they took off.
So, have you got your VPD dialled in?

Back
Top Bottom