Advice about my little operation

quietonthe401

Hello again to the regulars, Ive been reading quite a bit about growing and cloning , but I stiil have a few questions. If someone could answer, then very cool.
My Operation - 5 Weeks ago I bought 15 clones, 5 died off the hop.
-Growing For Outside in the spring with a slight possibility of budding some inside.
-2 x 48" Fluoros(2 plant/aquarium bulbs on each ) for clones and babies
-1000w SunMaster Deluxe MH for Veg. 24hrs on.
-Temp ranges from 70* to 80*.
-Low Humidity 20% (about to get adjusted with a small humidifier)
My Plants -
-10 x 12.5" tall in 10 L (2 gallon?) pots, Last time I posted I said I was cloning so I took 13 cuttings a week ago and all are showing , with 100% survival. These will be the mothers
-13 cuttings in a dome all look healthy with roots showing. I was quick and clean with the operation, following the instructions given.
Question #1 - When people talk about air-cooled lights does the light blow air or suck the air away from the light? Would the cool (almost cold) air blowing directly on the bulb (the way I wanted to do it) affect its light output? I want to get it as close as i can. Right now the light is about 2.5 ft above the tops.
Question #2 - What would be the coverage area of the bulb and reflector(the kind where you sceww the big triangles together) rough idea ?
Question #3 - How big is the ideal height when I am ready to go outside with them? Is bigger better?
Question #4 - Does a ballast run more efficient with cold air blowing on it?
Question #5 - ?

My last bowl gave me brain lock.lol Great site and thanks for the advice. I shall be lurking in the shadows absorbing knowledge.

Hello again to the regulars, Ive been reading quite a bit about growing and cloning , but I stiil have a few questions. If someone could answer, then very cool.
-Growing For Outside in the spring with a slight possibility of budding some inside.
My Plants -
-10 x 12.5" tall in 10 L (2 gallon?) pots, Last time I posted I said I was cloning so I took 13 cuttings a week ago and all are showing , with 100% survival. These will be the mothers
-13 cuttings in a dome all look healthy with roots showing. I was quick and clean with the operation, following the instructions given.
Question #1 - When people talk about air-cooled lights does the light blow air or suck the air away from the light? Would the cool (almost cold) air blowing directly on the bulb (the way I wanted to do it) affect its light output? I want to get it as close as i can. Right now the light is about 2.5 ft above the tops.
Question #2 - What would be the coverage area of the bulb and reflector(the kind where you sceww the big triangles together) rough idea ?
Question #3 - How big is the ideal height when I am ready to go outside with them? Is bigger better?
Question #5 - ?

My last bowl gave me brain lock.lol Great site and thanks for the advice. I shall be lurking in the shadows absorbing knowledge.
Answer 1) The air is pulled from the light. Answer 2)The reflector you referenced is called a "Parabolic" hood and will reflect more light than the standard hoods. With a 1000watt lamp, you could cover 8-10 square feet easily though light intensity will diminish with distance from the lamp, coverage is good-lumens are better. Answer 3) When planting outdoors you want your plants to be strong enough to withstand wind, rain, and also critters that just love fresh green marijuana shoots and stalks. A few nibbles off a larger plant will not "hurt" much but a small plant can be finished after a few bites. I like my ladies to be at least two to three feet when going outdoors. I will bring them out for a couple of hours each day in the weeks prior to planting to hardy them up by exposing them to sun, wind, etc. You don't want to just bring them from indoors to outdoors without prepping them first, the shock may be a bit much. Answer 4) The ballast will run just fine providing the room temp is where it should be for the plants and it has adaquate air space around it. More importantly though is to make sure your wiring is cool with the amperage draw. The last thing you or we want for you, is a FIRE. Answer 5) I'm going to burn one, lol, hope this helps...:smokin:

Hello Malcolm, thanks for your post, a few more questions comments if i could.
Answer #1- But it doesnt hurt the output of the light to blow the cool almost cold air on it? There is no optimum operating temp? Right now it is more efficient for cooling to blow cold air INTO the room. That is what I have to do now to keep the temp below 90* plus. I have no worries/cares about smell. I was thinking to lower the bulb temp and get the light as close as possible, or is 2.5 feet close enough
Answer#2- Parabolic eh? Now I'm waiting for someone to drop by now so I can hit them with that jeopardy answer.lol
Answer #3- 3 Feet wow. The largest plants I've ever put in the ground were maybe a foot! Now that I know, my girls have no worries about early eviction. 2 feet here we come.
Answer #4- Don't have to worry about me me bro.I am VERY cautious/paranoid about fire. I have a smoke alarm in my well organized growroom. I was just thinking about efficiency in the ballast, if that makes sense.
Thanks again for your answers. Cheers.

My Plants -
Question #5 - ?

To question 3,' I'd say the bigger it is when you transplant it outside, the more herb you'll have to smoke, :roorrip:in the fall.

To question 3,' I'd say the bigger it is when you transplant it outside, the more herb you'll have to smoke, :roorrip:in the fall.
If you can defy all the odds when engaging in the "art" of Guerrilla pharming than yes, you shall reap what you sow. For maximum yield, as big as you can safely, for security purposes, transport them and plant them is the way to go. Here in the Northeast we have a short growing season, about 120 days so every day counts and to maximize the potential of each one, I like to give my ladies a big head start so to speak. Also, the elements are sometimes a bit harsh here, even during the summer months and critters are everywhere in all shapes and sizes so small young plants do not have a strong survival rate. Size for survival is relevant to where you reside in the country and what your climate is more or less. I plant a Indica strain which grows short but very bushy and has a flowering period indicative to a short growing season...:ganjamon:

Hello Malcolm, thanks for your post, a few more questions comments if i could.
Answer #1- But it doesnt hurt the output of the light to blow the cool almost cold air on it? There is no optimum operating temp? Right now it is more efficient for cooling to blow cold air INTO the room. That is what I have to do now to keep the temp below 90* plus. I have no worries/cares about smell. I was thinking to lower the bulb temp and get the light as close as possible, or is 2.5 feet close enough
Answer#2- Parabolic eh? Now I'm waiting for someone to drop by now so I can hit them with that jeopardy answer.lol
Answer #3- 3 Feet wow. The largest plants I've ever put in the ground were maybe a foot! Now that I know, my girls have no worries about early eviction. 2 feet here we come.
Answer #4- Don't have to worry about me me bro.I am VERY cautious/paranoid about fire. I have a smoke alarm in my well organized growroom. I was just thinking about efficiency in the ballast, if that makes sense.
Thanks again for your answers. Cheers.
The only factors that will diminish the output and lifespan of your lamps are time, inefficient electrical capacity and human error such as hitting them with water spray or whacking them with your head, lol...:ganjamon:

the 401,,,,southwestern ontario? I here ya!!!!!I was considering the same....location location location??? I need to spread them out and make a treasure map....sounds like an exciting summer!!!

Back
Top Bottom