Advice about temperature

Templar

Hey folks im on my first grow at the moment - i have a packet of big buddha assorted auto's pack of 10(one grew really weird - very small 1cm max but had a few sets of leaves but never grew any larger so binned it)

They are all around week 5/6, half are early flowering and half just about to start flowering, next few days i would say.

My tent is 1.2 m X 1.2M X 2M, I have two Viparspectra LED 900 Watt lights. I was using just one to start with but bought another light recently, they seem to be doing an ok job - wasnt sure about LED lights but these seemed to get decent reviews - so tried one out.

With both 900watt lights on the temperature is about the 32 celsius - i can switch off half the lights on one unit (the flowering lights) and keep the veg lights on and the tent is around - 29 Celsius. With one 900 watt light the tent is about 27 or slightly lower.

I have two fans just your normal desk fan, they help tried positioning them everywhere and seeing how it affected the temperature - read that pointing a fan towards the lights help alot but this seemed to make the temperature rise.

I would love to have both lights running till these finish - should be about 5weeks - but dont want to hurt them with high temps. I read that above 27 celsius damages end result. I dont have an extractor fan /carbon filter been looking in to these for next grow, there's a few other things i need to sort out for next grow things ive not done great etc. I may just buy an extractor fan/carbon filter seen some silent kits, was hoping not to need one for now.

The fans im using are about 12inchs would two large floor fans 16-18 inch help more?

Also im using a couple different sized pots and wondering if i should re-pot some in the smaller pots, i thought this size would do for small auto's. I can see the roots at the bottoms of the pot.

first grow - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery
first grow - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

thanks

you need to run extraction fan with a passive intake. This is really important because not only will it bring temps down, you need to replace the air in the tent in order for the plants to breathe. If you zipped yourself in the tent and had oscillating fans blowing, eventually you would pass out and die because even though the fans are moving air they are only moving the air thats in the tent so you would suffocate through lack of fresh o2. That is providing its completely sealed of course, but the point is you want as much fresh co2 passing through the tent as possible so the plants can breathe well. People neglect this when running LED because they only think about temp control and because LED run cooler they dont think about air exchange, new growers dont anyway.

So in answer to you question large oscilating fans arent going to do much at all to lower temps, they will just be moving the stale warm air around the tent. Extraction is a must!!!

OR a 2nd option but not as practical in a small tent is to run it as a sealed room. You wouldnt need extraction but you would need co2 bottles, aircon and dehumidifier.

Light and environment are the most important things when it comes to growing. Pointless have strong light source if you arent going to allow the plants to breathe.

Thanks for the info cultivator.

Yeah thought i would need an extractor at some point, never used LED so wasn't sure about heat etc. I have had all the air holes/panels open on the tent to let air in

What would you suggest for an extractor fan set up - looking for a decent starter one. My thoughts so far are these two, one looks a lot better build quality, looking for something near to silent.

Anyone have experience using the ebay one or similar? That one would be the quieter off the two.

I have a smaller tent 75cm x75cm im not using at the moment - Do you think the ebay one would help the larger tent for now>? which i could use for the smaller tent later and upgrade to a bigger fan for the larger tent im using at the moment (120cm x 120cm)

6" In Line Fan, Carbon Filter & Duct Kit - Hydroponic Grow Room Tent Ventilation | eBay

Hydroponic Extraction & Filtration Kits With Noise Reduction

Back
Top Bottom