Advice about wattage of LED light

Northlight®

Hello there.
I'm searching the web and all that I can find is some confusing information.
So im here to ask some advice.
My grow box looks like this :
Strain - Northern Light autoflowering
# of Plants - 6
Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - flowering
Bucket Size - 3 Gallon
Lights - 1 600 Watt HPS cool tube
Air intake and extraction with carchoal filter are OK
PH - 6.5
RH - 45% to 55%
Room Temperature -83 to 90
Room Square Footage - 47' x 47'
Pests - None Known

Problem:

Curently I'm using a 600w Hps cool tube and I want to switch to led lights due to elevated temperature and to reduce electricity consumption.
Now the question is what power led pannel to take?
Can a 600w led light be enough for me or do I need a more powerful light?

Hello there.
I'm searching the web and all that I can find is some confusing information.
So im here to ask some advice.
My grow box looks like this :
Strain - Northern Light autoflowering
# of Plants - 6
Grow Type - Soil
Grow Stage - flowering
Bucket Size - 3 Gallon
Lights - 1 600 Watt HPS cool tube
Air intake and extraction with carchoal filter are OK
PH - 6.5
RH - 45% to 55%
Room Temperature -83 to 90
Room Square Footage - 16' x 16'
Pests - None Known

Problem:

Curently I'm using a 600w Hps cool tube and I want to switch to led lights due to elevated temperature.
I used the Viper Spectra 600 watt LED that runs $189 on Amazon, along with another 600 watt LED in a 4x4 tent. I would think that one 600w LED would be ok for 16 inches by 16 inches. Might be to much if you don't have the height.
I've been really impressed with the Viper Spectra it has a Veg and Bloom setting.

Oh my god I write it wrong I use metric system and I suck in others.
My room square footage is 47 inches by 47 inches (120cmx120cm)... Sorry about that.
I will edit my post.

From the research I've done you have to use 35 to 50 watts per square foot. I really really really would like to use leds but I have read you need to use the actual draw from the outlet to determine wattage of light. So 4 x4 would need like 4 600 watt leds to equal 600 true watts. I have seen a post or two here of guys using one or two 600 watt led and having really good results. So I don't know who is right. A 900 watt viparspectra is about 300 bucks. I so would like to be able to use that in a 4x4 for heat and power purposes. Problem I guess is it's actual wattage consumption is like 225 watts.

Curently I'm using a 600w Hps cool tube and I want to switch to led lights due to elevated temperature and to reduce electricity consumption.

You can check the Mars-Hydro website, it tell how it compare to an HID.

But if you get a LED light that compare to a 600w HPS, you will have the same temp problem.

I had a 400w HPS and change it to led because of temp (and noise), and get a Mars Pro II 80, which is compared to a 200w HPS. So its cooler but not because its a "led light".

2 600's would be just barely 35 watts a square foot. Looks like you would save 20 bucks a month or so on electricity and heat would be the same. You would have less light per foot then your current 600 watt. Can you buy a hood instead for 50 or 60 bucks and run your fan through it? Save some waste and money . A quality fan would help too . Seems like temp is your issue

Hy there Sgtsativa.
I did some research and found out:
-that with the money that will save...i won't became rich
-the heat will be the same, like you said
-with hps the yield will be better...if we look at quality
And for the final my only issue is the heat..i will invest in some better intake fan (the extraction is good enough-have a lot of negative pressure) cause the one I have now is a little weak

my advice is try to deal with the heat and grow bigger buds

i have been disappointed with over all bud size and yields.

the only plus I will mention is led has better penetration
and the COB I just used had even better than the diode leds

Sorry I forgot to mention the electrical consumption as an advantage, but with the diode LEDs you almost need watt for watt power to come close to the HPS buds.

I was running 2 300w and 1 270w LEDs and they drew 540w total.
I personally don't think they came close to the yield of the 600w HPS,

now with the COB LEDs I can only gauge by experience of SweetSue, she's getting nice yields and buds from (4x50) 200w Cobs and I think you might need a 400W HPS in the tent she has to equal yeild

Power ratings of led's compared to the light output has always made comparison difficult. It looks like top shelf cobs and discrete diodes can be up to 25% more efficient converting electricity to light. For a 4x4 it seems like a 1kw hps is the gold standard:-I use 700 watts of Vero to cover the same area. That's where better efficacy of the led is why they can help.

I've seen some efficiency studies where the Viparspectra actually is less efficient than HPS at creating light. They also tend to bump up the wattage claims. So they'll say 600W light but it only uses 130Watts. That 130Watts wouldn't do as good as a 130W HPS if there was one (you get what I'm saying). So really for LED you have to invest in good stuff so you don't end up stuck with something in your tent. Don't get me wrong they can work and work well but lower quality LED just don't create that much light per watt. Everyone things LED is just always more efficient but that isn't the case.

but they are way under current driven. a 5W diode might only be ran at 200ma, sure, it on, but the intensity will never be there.

a true, 5W diode light, would be extremely expensive to run due to the $120 driver per 25 diode cost.

it takes 420 volts of power to run 60p 5W diodes at full power. Thats like 11 Cobs ran at 36volts each,

300 watts true for 5W = 935 watts av for the 11 cobs of wattage use.

36,000 lumens 5W diodes per 60 = 104,500 lumens for 11 cobs,
3x- 60p diodes 5W = 108,000 lumens = 900watts

But look at it like this, remember volts needed.

to get 40,000 lumens, you need 4 cobs, or 144 volts. rather then 420 for the 5w diodes. watts doesnt matter in a sense, because of efficeancy, most goes to heat conversion.

so 360 watts for 4 cobs, 40,000 lumens,
or 300 watts for 60 5w diodes for 36,000 lumens. plus, the 4 drivers your going to need for them,

Back
Top Bottom