Advice for yields grams per watt

Phillipallman

Hey guys right here's my set up first 2x 600w dual spectrum hps lights 1x 300 cfl dual spectrum and a 45w x 225 led light grow space is 30 square foot roughly or 2.5-3square meters roughly 20 x 20 litre breathable fabric pots mix soil 50% miracle grow 50% potting mix off Amazon and big bud xxxl and critical monster mass seeds I'm having trouble grasping people's statements on yields as I have mates who grow and they all ways say or get 5-6 ounces plus per plant so if I worked that out for my set up 20x5 ounces per plant like my mates get = 125 ounces but if you go by grams per watt then I would only get 1700ish grams from 1700 watts of my lights which is a lot less than 125 ounces so it's confusing me big time

Your buddies are either growing many fewer plants per light or are lying to you.
For two 600w lights, the one led and the high yielding strains you have I would predict you get about 1-1.2 kg if things go well.

Is the CFL 300w equivalent of actual power? The 45 X 225 light is 45 watts. Neither would change yield significantly. Also be careful that soil does not usually do very well. Better to get soil with no nutes and add your own.

The most I have ever seen is about one gram per watt. But there's a lot of factors contributing. Strain, light, grow medium, nutrients, air flow, humidity, temperature. but there's a lot of ways to increase ur yield. I prefer scrogging. U can make a plant produce nothing but huge fat colas. If done right. Scrogging to me is the best way to maximize yield with the amount of space a plant takes up. And with the amount of light u have. You can easily get way more than u would have a need for. One plant is not going to produce one gram per watt of light. I thinks that's impossible: but if u had maybe 5 I can see you getting there. Lol ask ur friend is he is talking wet weight or dry?

Thanks for the reply mate I'm thinking of vegging for 4-5 weeks I'm not going to put the whole 20 plants down straight away Ill wait till I have another hps light or 2 I'm thinking of fimming the tops on them while in early veg stage ?? To increase yield size ?? Am I guessing the best way to get high yields would be to make a cycle like month to month running so you have a constant flow ready to go aka more money etc I don't really want to go using 3000 plus watts of lights to make big amount that's just risky lol

This whole gram per watt thing is not really having any proper standards.

Some use gram per watt per square meter and others just gram per watt, and it's not really saying a lot since veg time is not taken into consideration.

It would be more useful to calculate gram per used kilowatt hour, then it's about electricity cost versus yield, but still overall time to finish is important ie. you can veg a plant for a long time and make a monster and get a huge yield, but if you grow a ''normal'' size plant and finish the grow twice as fast, the yield might be more in the same time.

That's a bit silly if gram per watt dosent take veg time in to consideration as even adding a extra 10 days on your veg time will double your yield is 4-5 weeks veg a good time for yields I know the longer the better but I've got to consider harvest time as well lol I'm going to start with about 13 plants then build it up to 20 to do month cycles with cloning so it's quicker seeds are too slow even if I was only pulling 50 ounces onwards per month I would be happy

Thanks mate think in need another hps light or a couple of cfl lights just to bring it up a bit more which in will need when putting more plants down after the first harvest it won't be so bad ill put clones down prior to harvest and I can all ways 're grow the current plants when harvested :) definitely not easy money lol

Yes I have heard that only thing I don't get the grasp of with cloning is how much time am I saving compared to growing from a seed ? Or a better way to look at it is how much more developed is a clone towards harvest

The thing about seeds is that they are genetically variable. Some will yield a lot some a little. Some will taste different than others. Some will be high potency others not so much. So you run a pheno hunt to start out. And clone them all before going into flower. The clones vegetate while their moms flower. Then when you harvest you test all the candidates and pick the best ones. Their clones go into flower and the rest get turned into compost. You now have plants going into flower that have performed the best in the past. Clones are also automatically mature. They are the same age as the mother plants when they are taken. Seeds take some time to become mature and shouldn't be flowered until that point.

So with clones you get perfect copies of your best producing strains with the highest potency. With seeds...well who knows what you will get. Many times a grower will forget to clone seedlings and puts them into flower only to find that a plant ends up as the holy grail strain they were searching for. High yield, great taste, high potency. But they didn't clone it and it fails to reveg. That is a common but very sad occurrence.

The other advantage with clones is that you know all your clones will respond the same way if they are from the same mother. You get better and better at knowing what they want from you. You know exactly how much they will stretch, how much cal/mag they need, how much to defoliate, what style of training. I think you will be surprised at how much the seeds from one strain can vary from one another. Look at my hunger games pheno hunt. I am doing exactly what I am describing here with cloning plants. This harvest I am not worried as much about yield, only about finding the best examples of each strain. I have about four clones of each strain ready to go for when the current ladies finish. When flowering finishes the best clones of the best phenos get to go into flowering. That's when the yields begin to happen. The other clones will get donated to friends or to the compost bin.

So even with Big Bud the people who are getting the b st yields are running clones from a single plant, the one that gave them the best yield, flavor, and potency. Their grow has become basically the equivalent of one giant plant in many different pots.

Very good info there mate thank you :) it all takes time :) well at least I have big bud xxxl and monster mass critical mass so I can try 2 different types see which one is better :)

I take my cuttings during flower usually. They take a little longer to root (3 weeks sometimes instead of 2) but right now I only have one tent so my clones will be taken about 2 to3 weeks before chop and I will run my cloner outside my tent with a Mars 400 over it. Look at a Clone King. There are also many DIY similar to the Clone King. :peace:

Main problem I have is my grow room is a spare bedroom loads of space I could easily do 30 large plants there but if I'm going to start cloning as well ill have to use a different room as well due to the light schedule as the first lot will be in flower and the clones need veg light cycles ??

That's a bit silly if gram per watt dosent take veg time in to consideration as even adding a extra 10 days on your veg time will double your yield is 4-5 weeks veg a good time for yields I know the longer the better but I've got to consider harvest time as well lol I'm going to start with about 13 plants then build it up to 20 to do month cycles with cloning so it's quicker seeds are too slow even if I was only pulling 50 ounces onwards per month I would be happy
OK I do not mean to come across as a dumb ass but what the hell are you possibly going to do with 50 ounces of smoke every month? that is 37 1/2 pounds per year. You are going to be forced to sell some of it, to cover your overhead, since growing is not free. OK so electricity in Oregon is not free perhaps in your state it is. I live in a state where Medical and recreational are both legal but even in Oregon they do not allow you to have 3 1/8 pounds per month in your procession. Least not with the ways I am reading the laws. Maybe I am missing something.

Well I'm looking to grow as much as I can 50-100 plus ounces per month just to sell and make money I can sell for around £200 per ounce I'm in the UK so it is not legal I spend around £150 per month on electricity and the set up cost me about £500 there is a lot of money to be made even if you only did a gram per watt in my set up it works out at £10000 per month from selling that's if I don't do all my plants

When I had my perpetual garden running, I had 2 tents. Mars-Hydro has very good prices on goo tents. You can get a tent for around $100. With 2 3'x3' tents, I was getting 3-4 oz per plant with 6-8 week veg time. The veg time varied on space available in the flower tent. @ 6 weeks, I was usually more around 2+ oz on a plant. Go 8-10 weeks and your yield will increase significantly. Also, pot size matters. The bigger the rootball the bigger the yield and it take some time after each transplant for the rootball to fill the pot. 4oz per plant will need at least a 4 gallon pot imho. I cannot get a rootball in a 4 gallon pot in less then 6 weeks and that is transplanting after 10 days, then 3 weeks.

Multiple tents would be the way to go.:peace:

Yes I'm using 5 galon 20 litre fabric pots they are supposed to give better grows and higher yields as they allow a lot more oxygen in to the soil and roots

Back
Top Bottom