Advice needed for HPS 600W

Without taking a measuring tape in there I would say my youngest ones- the three day old sprouts, are about 18" away from my 600w. Maybe (probably) less.
The rest of the plants are about 12" away or less. They really seem to need to be very close to burn. Like within a couple inches. But it also depends on the temps and air movement. I keep a desk fan in there blowing so that it removes hot spots under the bulb.
I'd say that in reality anywhere from 24-8" away should be fine. Most people would recommend starting about 24" away and moving closer depending how the plants react.

When I'm in there later I'll measure it properly and take a pic.

:thumb: glad to help icke. I didnt take a pic but I did take a tape measure in there tonight and my guesses were surprisingly good. The farthest foliage is about 20" from the bulb. The 1" high sprout that just hatched a few days ago is 18" away.
The majority of the plants are around 12" away.
The closest leaves (a couple larger plants that are in the corners and have filled in those spaces with nowhere left to run) are about 4" away. I know they could get closer before actually burning.
Situations vary like I said depending on cooling air flow among other things- and sometimes I get burn at 6" away or even further. But generally not if I'm arranging the movement fans properly.
The size of the lit area under the reflectors and the amount of canopy I have dictates how close I can put the light to the plants, if you know what I mean. I think ideally I'd have the light 12" away or less all the time, but obviously if I'm trying to stretch the light to cover a 3.5' x 4' area as I am, I need to compromise and move the bulb and reflector back to cast a bigger footprint.

So I'm looking at getting a 4x4x6, trying to work out my budget, and being a Zon primer pretty much everything is shipping free. The light kit I am looking at is the following. Will this suffice for four plants? If I have an 8" VS Duct fan, will that be enough to remove the heat buildup? Any recommendations around the same price tag that someone could suggest? Alternatives etc..

oops, forgot image

Dont forget you can sort out any unnecessary stretch when you repot by burying them deeper but u cant sort out burnt to a crisp seedlings... hang light a little higher if your worried and let the plants grow up into the light. I've never used mh for veg. HPS the entire way, so im not sure how hot mhs get. But a 600w hps puts out a lot of radient heat.
If your extraction removes the correct amount of air for your size tent and you have good temps on the intake you will be fine :)

Hi guys,i am going to use a 600w hps for the first time in my grow tent,i need advice please ,how high should my light be for my seedlings and as they grow should i have the light further away from the plants
Let the plants grow into them what size of tent ? 30-34” to start. Get your temps right in tent first light they can grow into .. is it air cooled?

So I'm looking at getting a 4x4x6, trying to work out my budget, and being a Zon primer pretty much everything is shipping free. The light kit I am looking at is the following. Will this suffice for four plants? If I have an 8" VS Duct fan, will that be enough to remove the heat buildup? Any recommendations around the same price tag that someone could suggest? Alternatives etc..

oops, forgot image

I live my Vivosun cheaper eBay amazon and decent tent I know another great knowledgeable grower @Pennywise who has same tent I believe or did anyways ✊

I live my Vivosun cheaper eBay amazon and decent tent I know another great knowledgeable grower @Pennywise who has same tent I believe or did anyways ✊
Ps mars hydro has decent tents too reach out on her thread she is active here on 420 magazine :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom