advice on my soil

helloiggy

Hello. My set up is four 4 CFL's 6500k 24w bulbs. IN/out exhaust fans. In a small box about 2'x2'x4'. They are well into week 2 and only about 3-3.5" tall. I cut the bottom leaves off of one this morning because it started with yellow leaves and then brown spots. Well today I woke up and the one with brown spots was all crusty and basically crumbled in my hand so I cut off the 2 bottom leaves of that plant. Others look okay but leaves are kinda curling downwards on all of them. I have 4 rite now. My soil is EXPERT GARDENER PERFECT MIX ALL PURPOSE POTTING SOIL. Its values are 0.10-0.08-0.06
the bag of soil says "premium ingrediaents including peat moss and horticulture perlite" My questions are is this soil okay and what nutes do I need? I havent used any so far. it also says it has time released fert. But is this soil okay and what should i do now? why are my plants looking pathectic? It does get hot in there about constant 80 degrees give or take. all my stuff went out a couple times last week and I came back and the temp was 95 by the time I found it. I cant seem to get humidity above 35% for the life of me. HELP ANY ANSWERS ARE HELPFUL.

Hey thanks alot BOSS. Are you saying that is more than enough light in the space I have? Cuase you said with 4 lights? Also do you think that low humidity is because of all the bulbs in the space I have? I have 2 more fans coming from ebay eventually LOL. Overwatering would make it dry up and crumble??? Oh sorry I forgot to say that I also added a plant food with 12-12-12 but I didnt add much I just mixed into soil when I first got it. Thanks Alot. I just started experimenting with this so I dont want to put in too much money. Do you know of a decent all around soil I can easily get and fert/nutes as well??? Thanks Buddy

Soil with time release ferts arent good for growing cannabis IMO. If the problem really is overwatering (which I really dont think it is) then try adding some more pearlite to your soil. Also while your still in the vegging stage its good to give your plants plenty of Nitrogen. Go buy some nutes that are high in Nitrogen for the vegging stage.

I will try to get a photo asap. my camera is not good at up close photos and Im not sure how to upload but let me see if I can figure it out lol.

Brown spots , crusty and crumbleing in my hand......... sounds like classic nitrogen overdose. Downwards curl of the leaf is a classic symptom of overwatering.:smokin:

Was that plant food time release or water soluable ? Because time release will constantly release when damp. Water soluable means that it has to be mixed with and applies thru watering. :smokin:

Was that plant food time release or water soluable ? Because time release will constantly release when damp. Water soluable means that it has to be mixed with and applies thru watering. :smokin:
If it's in the soil it's time release. Water soluable will wash out with one or two heavy waterings and would be a waste to pretreat the soil with. How high are the room temps?

The reason I asked about the ferts .....is that with either time release or mis-applied water soluable in constantly wet soil would produce the crusty , crumbly burnt leaves.:smokin:

Sounds like adding the plant food is what has screwed you up. 12-12-12 is alot for young seedlings to handle. Your better off starting them off with no ferts. and then feeding them as they mature.

The general rule of thumb is let the plants mature at least 2 weeks before feeding them as young seedlings do not tolerate high nutrient levels well.

Review some of my posts in the "Indoor Soil Cultivation" sub-forum for more information on soil selection and preparation.

Thanks alot for the answers. The temps are now at a constant 85 degrees except at night. I finally got the fans set up to where it will at least be stable at 85. The humidity is a major concern of mine because no matter what i try I cant get it over 35%, yesterday it was at 20%. Im picking up batteries today to try and take some pics. I think you are right about the 12-12-12 too RooRman. I appreciate the answers. Ill b back

Back
Top Bottom