Advice on stretch?

totalnoob

Fastbuds girlscout cookies and lsd25 that emerged from soil Sunday evening. They are in happy frog soil. 12 plants under 8 23w 6500k CFL. Not sure if this is stretch, or just how tall they should be at this stage, as this is my first grow. Tallest one is about 2 3/8". They are 4 days old and some are getting their second set of true leaves. Should I move the lights up, or wait? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
20170427_173752.jpg
20170427_173936.jpg

I guess I'll just run them and see what happens. Cfls placed any closer drives the temp up above 90, even with a fan running. Next round will have some COB leds.

P1160568.JPG

all my plants are no more than an inch and a half from the cfl's. for me, iffin some leaf tips aint burnt,, then the lights are too far away,,

my opinion only of course

Unfortunately if I get them 2-3 inches away the temp goes to 95ish. Is the temp that high stunting growth? I have a decent sized fan on them, but if I move the fan closer to bring Temps down it damn near blows them over. So which is more important, closer light or Temps near 75?

my advice would be to find a nice happy medium in there somewhere. one can only do what one can do,, nothing more

Sage advice. I went out and grabbed a different fan and I'm back in business. Lol. Lights are back to within an inch and a half of plants and Temps are in the high 70s to just over 80.

Your problem is a common one when using CFLs,,,The majority of the usable light comes from the SIDES if the Spirals..
NOT the tip(end) of the bulb...

Move either the light or the plants so that the seedlings are 2-3" from the Middle of the CFLs and then take your measurements..The stretching will stop and the stems will straighten up.

Additionally, suggest you move some soil up around the stems leaving maybe 1" of stem showing. Anything below the starter leaves are roots anyway. :)
Don't forget to raise the lamps (when needed) to the desired height from the plant tops!
Hope this helps!
Regards,
Buzzer: :Namaste:

You're right buzzer, and after reviewing my pics it does look like my lights are tipped way down, but it's just the angle of the photo. Plants are at 1.5 " from middle of the spirals. I will add some happy frog around the stems up to the top of the pots they are in now. Thanks for the advice.

Always a pleasure!
I am a complete noob as well, but being retired has left me with loads of time to study up! :)
This is really my 1st grow..:morenutes:
My grow as of today..12 days from 12/12 flip...
4 ladies in there; 1 Acapulco Gold ..MMJ bagseed..1 relentless genetics Big Easy OG..1 Gorilla Phenom..and 1 00Kush . They have all been 2 tier Scrogged and LSTd
They are about 24" tall now and stretching like crazy (in a good way)

4-30-17.jpg

P1160962.JPG

i know i talk silly,, on and on and on,, just can't help it

i have been growing with cfl's since day one and i am constantly surprised at how darn close the cfl's can be

iffin you do not know the inverse square law,, then look it up, perhaps. it's important.

also important is knowing how weak and un intense cfl's are, as mentioned, the useful light is from the sides,, but even there, the light has no intensity, at all,, so, every time you double the distance of light to plant, it quadruple de intensifies the light, which is near useless at more than three inches away anyway

get em close,, burnt tips are a sign of honour,

oh, and,, :volcano-smiley:

Not silly...Your light setup is very cool, and the ladies look like they are thriving! :) :goodjob:

I built this contraption for side lighting to go with 2 450w Chinese reflector LEDs..
Check it out..used Daylight + Cool white LED Bulbs and splitters.. I modded the Bulbs by removing those pesky diffuser globes (more focused and intense than the unmodified ones.:)

Led_conversion.jpg

light52.jpg

Weird but works!

hey there Buzzer777, you sure done well for 1st grow. YOU need to make a journal so theses other people have a good guide.

Them puppies look top notch and healthy. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you so much...I have been keeping a picture journal on my pc along with notations...When I get some time, I will have to transcribe them into a Journal here..:) I have all since the equipment arrived and the seeds 1st popped...Time for this OLD (69 yrs young) Hippie to get some Zzzzz..See you later and we should keep intouch via PM..I think you need a certain # of posts to make a PM..???
Don't want to bore the other peeps here:)

Good Night..until tomorrow when our ladies awaken...! BTW: I am in Reno, NV!

Throw some sun-visor/mylar material over the top as a reflector, I did that with my DIY CFL fixture, intensify light slightly as the light on other side of the bulb gets thrown around.

Temps near 75?

Im not at all a proponent of CFL for growing. I can see why people use it. They don't understand it not meant to bring them all the way to harvest IMO (. because the light they discharge is the same type as that of light reflected off of something or second hand) Try as best as possible to keep above 62 and under 86 F.

Keep us posted with pictures!

Looking fine. Don't be afraid to put a toothpick or something (I use a golf tee) to hold them up a bit. Should have a fan going, if you don't already. Move the lights so you keep the CFLs 2-3" from the leaf.

Kabab skewers for me then I'll take it to a 32in bamboo shoot .

After many outdoor grows im On my first indoor cfl grow as well and i always keep bulbs 1 or 2 inches from the top and 2 inches from sides, you may get burnt tips or occasionally a sunburn on leaves but its nothing serious unless u dnt keep a eye on them at least 1 or 2 times a day... But stretching is very common in CFL grows. Its usually because the bulbs are too far away from the seedlings. Btw i have 12 6500k bulbs in my veg area and 16 2700k cfl in my flowering closet so dont be afraid to add more bulbs as your bbys get bigger and always buy bulbs with more lumens if possible....so far so good though bro

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I may be doting on them a bit too much. It's my first grow, so every little curl of a leaf sends me running to figure out why. The ladies will be fine I'm sure.
20170501_062547.jpg

20170501_062721.jpg

Back
Top Bottom