Advice on trichomes

Pont67

Hi, I am having trouble working out if my trichomes are still clear or turning opaque and if the amber head means it is time to harvest. Any advice would be appreciated :) Jo

Attachments

• Tue Nov 03 12-25-10.jpg
    Tue Nov 03 12-25-10.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 61
  • Tue Nov 03 12-20-15.jpg
    Tue Nov 03 12-20-15.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 61
you wanna check the ones on the bud and not the sugar leaf.

it's a personal preference, but a generally most shoot for about 10% amber on the bud with the rest milky or mostly milky. some strains - sativa usually - will either not turn, or turn super slow if they do.

clear is still developing. milky getting there. amber ripe or more.

Hey Pont67,

Welcome to 420! First pic looks to me clear & cloudy, 2nd pic looks mostly mushed but amber

don’t use fan leaves or sugar leaves - snip a small piece of calyx and try to not smash it, take some more pics. I’d hate for your harvest to be based on bad pics or incomplete info.

Attachments

• Tue Nov 03 12-17-23.jpg
    Tue Nov 03 12-17-23.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 57
trichomes change to amber at the rate 0f 5% per week (once they start to change) , So if you want 10% amber waite 2 weeks once you see an amber trichome. If no loupe harvest your harvest window is when the pistals have changed to amber/'brown anywere from 60% up is OK

Are you using one of those USB microscopes with built in lighting?

I got one recently, and it's a great tool, but I suspect that cloudy trichomes still have a reflective exterior that can make them look clear when lit up by the scope's brights LEDs, depending on the light intensity and angle. I'm not sure about this hypothesis yet though - I need another grow for more experiments (have no trichs to view now)...

I got one recently, and it's a great tool, but I suspect that cloudy trichomes still have a reflective exterior that can make them look clear when lit up by the scope's brights LEDs, depending on the light intensity and angle. I'm not sure about this hypothesis yet though - I need another grow for more experiments (have no trichs to view now)...
been thinking about getting one --don't they cost about $50.00 (+/-) then one can really get good views ? keep informed about the light/angle/color in relation to the USB

you wanna check the ones on the bud and not the sugar leaf.

it's a personal preference, but a generally most shoot for about 10% amber on the bud with the rest milky or mostly milky. some strains - sativa usually - will either not turn, or turn super slow if they do.

clear is still developing. milky getting there. amber ripe or more.

Yes I'm using one of those for the first time and was thinking the same, I might check with a different kind and see how it looks, thanks so much for the feedback :)

Attachments

• Tue Nov 03 12-17-23.jpg
    Tue Nov 03 12-17-23.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 36
I used to use a usb microscope, but found a magnifier program for my phone that works better and is free. Did a clever search on "magnifier" at the play store.

have to check my phone - or is it attached to phone so one has to buy one
Just an app you download. I'm just starting a new grow, but here's a couple shots from an android phone. Name of the app is "magnifier". Even has a light.

Attachments

• PXL_20201109_134713920.jpg
    PXL_20201109_134713920.jpg
    802.7 KB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20201109_134738140.jpg
    PXL_20201109_134738140.jpg
    557.7 KB · Views: 34
Back
Top Bottom