Advice On What Not To Do 2nd Time Around

Likely your low humidity during drying was the biggest issue. I fight humidity while curing too. I use a cheap humidifier. I try to maintain 50% humidity when drying. I also jar one stem of bud before I believe it's dry enough. I place a small hygrometer in the jar with the bud, if I'm around 65% humidity I jar and cure everything. One grow I also had hayweed and made it into butter. It was before I started this process of drying/curing. I prefer to trim wet, so it makes the low humidity issue even worse. You can dry in as little as 4 days following this method. I also use the 10 gram 62% boveda packs when curing.

Wow. Am pleasantly surprised you all are still responding ! :D My grow is continuing and doing well so far. I flipped light to flower on 11/30/18. I topped the girls twice prior to flower and did LST, and all looks good. I can't take pix now, they are sleeping. Will try to post tomorrow.

As I originally planned, I am dialing down on nutes this time around and am now feeding FF trio at less than half recommended dosage, closer to 1/3 dose. All plants seem to be thriving on the schedule of nutes every other water (usually 3 days apart before the pots feel "airy" and light - I wing it).

I will DEFINITELY be coming back to you to try to get more details on how I can nail the eventual harvest and cure. Again humidity and temp is an ongoing struggle both during grow and presumably at harvest, same as the last time I grew. I have a typical 4x4 tent, one 630w ceramic metal halide lamp, 2 clip-on fans, a 6in ventilator, and mix ventilation air between a duct running out of a window and partially opened hatches in the tent pulling in 66 degree room air. I have a small humidifier constantly running, and also 2 DIY "evaporative" thingies; coffee cans with water in them, and rags soaking and sticking up out of the can with props. I even mist the ENTIRE tent daily covering the plants, all the walls and the floor. And no, no sign of mold/fungus etc.

I STILL cannot get humidity above 30% consistently - I am pretty sure the 6in fan is just sucking it all out. Now, in my parts it is getting damn cold; nighttime temps in single digits. So I "baffle" the fresh outdoor air to try to keep the temps regulated at night. At lights off time (8:30pm-8:30am) the temp in the tent dips to maybe 62 degrees, humidity to 25-30%. In order to maintain that nighttime temp, I also shut down the exhaust fan, else I am SURE it would get too cold (nightime temps in single digits in my parts). Daytime temp in the tent is typically 79 degrees, 30% humidity. Of course after watering the humidity goes up, but Never more than 35% or so. The room itself is constant 66 degrees, for what that's worth.

Thanks again for continued interest. Will try to keep updating. I did not start a journal because I didn't think I could spare the time, I have a million things I'm trying to juggle at once and didn't think I could maintain it properly. Besides, at this point, the 4 girls are rockin' with no problems seen, so not sure there would be much to discuss day to day.

Check out a humidistat and a small booster fan. You can rig it up to a box of some kind, and use the humidistat to vent the air our of it only when the humidity climbs above 65% and turn off at 50%. The box can be anything... Literally a box. I made mine out of a plastic tote, stuck bamboo skewers through as racks, and cut holes in the bottom with 3m cut-to-fit filters. Just never got around to getting the fan and humidistat since that would cost about 75 bucks for both.

I have lately been trying to leave my fan leaves on so that it takes longer for my buds to dry in the low humidity. I increased drying time from 3 days to 5.

I am personally thinking about looking into the refrigerator too, as it seems like the best option for those of us plagued by chronic low humidity.

Yup, I gather that now. I went and read the forum posts on the "bud wash" (Bud Washing). Not quite the same thing as I was referring to, where that method REPLACES the conventional dry & cure.

If you are skeptical, I'd recommend washing part of your grow via the method outlined in the thread (otherwise don't do it), and comparing it to the unwashed after cure. That's what I did initially. If you don't taste a marked difference, I will be very surprised.

:nomo:

Back
Top Bottom