Advocates Renew Push For Recreational Marijuana In New York

Ron Strider

With little more than a week left in the legislative session, some state lawmakers and community advocates are renewing the push for legalized recreational marijuana in New York state.

State Sen. Liz Krueger and Assembly member Crystal Peoples-Stokes are joining with advocates organized by the Drug Policy Alliance Monday afternoon to announce reintroduction of the Marijuana Regulation and Taxation Act. Past efforts have stalled in legislative committees.

The bill would establish a legal market for marijuana in New York and tax and regulate it like alcohol. The lawmakers say the potential tax revenue stream is considerable since it's estimated that New Yorkers spend $3 billion a year on marijuana.

Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo has been dubious about legalizing weed beyond limited medical use of non-smokeable forms.

Marijuana_and_Blunt_-_AP.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Advocates renew push for recreational marijuana in New York
Photo Credit: AP
Website: Albany, NY - Capital Region News, Weather and Sports from NEWSCHANNEL 13 | WNYT.com

Come on Cuomo I just saw you smoking a jay last week! I really shouldn't get started on the political stuff you will have to ban me lol I really hope we can get it done and some legal cultivation laws would be nice. Without them we may as well just be New Jersey...

Back
Top Bottom