Aeroponics versus Hydroponics

shaggy91210

Which and why do you think thats a better system? Hope to get interesting debate going.

I thought you may find this useful. Wikipedia has a nice explanation of this process.
Basic Principles of Aeroponics
The basic principle of aeroponic growing is to allow plants to grow under pesticide-free and disease-free conditions, growing in a natural healthy manner where the aeroponic environment mimics environmental conditions in nature. These conditions advance plant development, health, growth, flowering and fruiting for any given plant species and cultivars. Carbon dioxide in the air is necessary for healthy plant growth. As aeroponics is conducted in air combined with micro-droplets of water, almost any plant can grow to maturity in air with a plentiful supply of carbon dioxide, water and nutrients.

Aeroponic systems are favored over other methods of hydroponics because the increased aeration of nutrient solution delivers more oxygen to plant roots, stimulating growth and preventing pathogen formation

Methods
Aeroponics refers to the methods and apparatus used to cultivate, grow, and sustain plant and crop growth in an air culture.

Many types of plants can be grown in air by using true aeroponic methodsTo grow aeroponically refers to the necessary processes needed to achieve a sustainable aeroponic growth.

Aeroponics is not to be confused with either the hydroponic or geoponic technique. Aeroponic plant growth is sustained by the intermittent spray of a hydro-atomized nutrient solution as it remains suspended in air.[1]

In a true hydroponic apparatus, the plant's root system is totally submerged in water ('hydro'); while growing geoponically requires the plant to naturally root itself in soil/ground ('geo').

In an aeroponic system the plant is suspended into an enclosed air environment where the lower portion stem and roots protrude into a hydro-atomized nutrient solution and environment. The leaves and crown of the plant extend into the air above. The roots of the plant are separated by the plant support structure. The lowest stem portion and root system are sprayed or misted for short durations with a hydro-atomized pure water/nutrient solution.[1]

Ecological advantages
Aeroponic growing is considered to be safe and ecologically friendly for producing natural, healthy plants and crops. The main ecological advantages of aeroponics are the conservation of water and energy. When compared to hydroponics, aeroponics offers lower water and energy inputs per sq meter of growing area.

Interesting, but I think I'll stick with mother nature and her dirt. But thats just me.

aeroponics is good for smaller grows and clones, but if u smoke like me hydro all the way alot easier to maintain (clean,put together) also you can absolutely huge trays if you wish or tiny ones, usually hydro is alot cheaper to execute than a full aeroponic system usually. YOu can buy and aeroponic system or make one kind of a pain the make were as i put together a full hydro sytem(trays and such not lights, co2 ect) together in probably less than an hour, with like a thirty minute trip to home depot or a grow store. And i must say great product!:allgood:

I designed a bucket that combines both the principles of hydro and aeroponics. It only cost me around $25 and uses only two gallons of water per week. All I have to do is change the nutrient solution once a week and thats it. I have failed using soil twice and found out that hydro was the way for me...and it even grows faster than soil which is nice because no matter who you are, plants just don't seem to grow fast enough haha.

Stratlogiv that sounds like an interesting set up what tools do you use?

Cheggidout shaggy91210. The trick is to lower the inner bucket as the roots grow so the end of the roots are sitting in water. This is similar to aero not in the sense that the roots are being misted, but the bottoms of the roots are being fed while the rest of the roots are suspended in air getting plenty of oxygen.

Hydro Bucket Construction

Hmm sounds like an interesting concept I will check into it.

Oh yeah, as far as tools used, I used a drill to make the various holes and a pair of scissors (or any blade will work) to cut the tubing. That was it.

i'm currently doing soil as my space has problems with standing water in a basement but am wondering if anyone has tried a bucket system with an ultrasonic mister in it in addition to the air pump for Oxygen could be an easy cheap aero/hydro system [found ultrasonic misters on the net for under 40$]
just a thought i cant quite afford a nutramist fogger system but ultrasonics misters give an even finer mist than most mist nozzles [5-10 microns i think for water drop size-- this is real tiny and suposed to be easier for micro root hairs to absorb...]

Back
Top Bottom