Afgoo - First Time Seed Grow

What is a Stater bros??? Oh wait, is that the manufacturer of your jars?...haha sorry.
I seen a bunch of packs in various sizes at Walmart.
That is a pretty versatile store, I like it.. They seem to have a bit of everything.

You need to measure your biggest colas like a prize fish :laughtwo: You need to have someone take pictures with you holding it. Then roll one with one of those big Cheech and Chong papers and smoke it. Then get more pictures.. haha Document the size and add to your journal.

We worked hard for our grow, now its time we have some fun.

LOL google it!!! it should be right on the top, Stater Bros. Markets!!! its a store we have out here more southernly!!! Walmart is a great store also, I miss the old school wally world though!!! now its just to big, but i get what you mean, they do have just a little bit of everything and they are everywhere!!! LOL but they didn't have the 12 pack that I had gotten, they had them in singles for like 4 bucks a pop... but I needed more than just 2 or 3!!! LOL so staters is where I went, they have them at Food4Less also, but they didn't have the quart size!!!

:peacetwo:

The 1 quart size is what I have always used for drying, so I would recommend sticking with that size. Fill them a little more than half full to give some room for tumblin your buds a few times before opening the lid to do an air exchange during curing. :thumb:

This is what you need my friend...

mjars.jpg

mjars.jpg

Yep! Those be the ones! Good job Budman! :thumb:

I use that brand or Kerr. Whichever brand our local grocery store has on hand. In either case, be sure to run them through your dishwasher before putting your dried buds in them cause they often have a rubber/plastic smell inside the jars that you don't want to be imparted into your buds!

I always run them through the dishwasher again after I am done with them as well to get all the sticky and any bud odors out of them for the next use. Our dishwasher has a "Sanitize" settings that really bakes the crap out of them and removes all traces of resins, smells whatever. Most dishwashers have a similar setting that is basically VERY HOT water and a HEATED DRY cycle.

Well I have found a few more pillars since I spoke to you guys last...
I pulled with tweezers and smashed the bastards. I was going to harvest one of my plants today, but I looked at the weather and it said high 80's to 90s all week. I decided to spray another round of pillar killer and ride it out hopefully for a couple more weeks. My trichs are not changing very fast and only a few are amber. My pistol hairs aren't even at the 50-60 percent yet mark yet. But buds are fat daddy's . The weight of the buds is causing the limbs to bend. I had to tie a couple of them up for support. Two of the buds actually bent over on the limb, but didn't break.. They are just hanging sideways :rollingeyes:
I flushed the hell out of my plants again with the water hose. I ran about 40 gallons through there. I will then just water here on out with ph water and molasses. Molasses is good for the organisms in the soil :). Hopefully it makes happy buds.

One other thing I read that sounded interesting... For harvesting. We know to let the plant dry out a few days so it helps curb the drying time a bit. But in addition they say that the best time to harvest your plant is at night. This is because during the day the plant spends its time producing sugars and starches for food and at night apparantly these sugars and starches drop down into the roots for storage. So with that said, you stand less chance of having these remaining sugars and starches left in the plant, which can attribute to harsh smoke. Well that is the way I understood it anyway.. makes sense.
So with that said, I think I will be harvesting mine at night. :)

Oh and I also read something else interesting from a biologist.. Not that anyone would want to smoke mold, but I read a discussion about what happens if you were to accidentally smoke a moldy bud.. He said the toxins in the mold would immediately incinerate when the weed was ignited and would not cause any harm to the smoker. The mold that would pose a concern would be black mold, but that is not found on weed I don't think.

Sorry, you probably didn't want to hear that... but thought I would share ..
Not sure if it is true, but sounded like it came from a pretty solid source. This guy said he studied this stuff in college.

Yep! Those be the ones! Good job Budman! :thumb:

I use that brand or Kerr. Whichever brand our local grocery store has on hand. In either case, be sure to run them through your dishwasher before putting your dried buds in them cause they often have a rubber/plastic smell inside the jars that you don't want to be imparted into your buds!

I always run them through the dishwasher again after I am done with them as well to get all the sticky and any bud odors out of them for the next use. Our dishwasher has a "Sanitize" settings that really bakes the crap out of them and removes all traces of resins, smells whatever. Most dishwashers have a similar setting that is basically VERY HOT water and a HEATED DRY cycle.

You know what I found worked awsome...
I used an old peach jar. I cleaned it when I was done eating the peaches, but it left a sweet peach taste in the jar. When I cured the weed in there it left a nice peachy smell :).. I was pretty impressed .... I thought that would be a good idea for them to market jars like that for our cannabis with different flavors. ...:laughtwo:

I think you made a wise decision holding off on harvesting if the trichomes are not degrading enough yet. Best to hold out for the optimum ratio! :thumb:

Regarding the branches sagging under the weight of the bud... I suggest picking up a bundle of bamboo stakes and sticking them into the pot and tie the sagging branches to the stakes with wire twist ties. (I use pipe cleaners) Most large yield plants will need this assistance at some point to avoid accidentally snapping a branch off while you are watering or moving the plant etc.

If you look at most of my flowering plant photos, you will see the bluish green bamboo stakes in the shots since I use them on all my plants at the end because they all end up sagging somewhere and better safe than sorry. ;)

Good point on the harvesting at night thing! I have read that also, but this season I harvested most of mine during the day because I needed to take photos for my journal! ;)

The whole premise makes total sense to me because that whole thing about the starches and sugars retreating to the roots at night is totally true. Whether those starches and sugars contribute to a harsh smoke is another story. I don't know if that part is true or not. Never compared, but also, I have always ended up with nice mellow smoking bud that doesn't burn or cause a lot of coughing. I get the standard vaporizer cough with most of my harvests, but that is always a good sign cause it indicates high THC/CBD/CBN content! :thumb:

You know what I found worked awsome...
I used an old peach jar. I cleaned it when I was done eating the peaches, but it left a sweet peach taste in the jar. When I cured the weed in there it left a nice peachy smell :).. I was pretty impressed .... I thought that would be a good idea for them to market jars like that for our cannabis with different flavors. ...:laughtwo:

Interesting! That isn't unlike what they do with pipe tobacco during the curing process! Everyone has heard of Lord Cavendish who invented the process of flavor curing pipe tobacco to give it that wonderful sweet and fruity smell everyone loves about pipe tobacco! Although I quit smoking cigarettes a few years ago, I still enjoy a good tobacco pipe a few times a week after a good meal! Unlike cigs, I can smoke that in the house without upsetting the natives! :laughtwo:

mjars.jpg

Thats exactly what I got!!! But I only paid 12.99 for them!!! and I didn't even have to use them all!!! not shocked at all!!! LOL!!!

I think you made a wise decision holding off on harvesting if the trichomes are not degrading enough yet. Best to hold out for the optimum ratio! :thumb:

Regarding the branches sagging under the weight of the bud... I suggest picking up a bundle of bamboo stakes and sticking them into the pot and tie the sagging branches to the stakes with wire twist ties. (I use pipe cleaners) Most large yield plants will need this assistance at some point to avoid accidentally snapping a branch off while you are watering or moving the plant etc.

If you look at most of my flowering plant photos, you will see the bluish green bamboo stakes in the shots since I use them on all my plants at the end because they all end up sagging somewhere and better safe than sorry. ;)

Good point on the harvesting at night thing! I have read that also, but this season I harvested most of mine during the day because I needed to take photos for my journal! ;)

The whole premise makes total sense to me because that whole thing about the starches and sugars retreating to the roots at night is totally true. Whether those starches and sugars contribute to a harsh smoke is another story. I don't know if that part is true or not. Never compared, but also, I have always ended up with nice mellow smoking bud that doesn't burn or cause a lot of coughing. I get the standard vaporizer cough with most of my harvests, but that is always a good sign cause it indicates high THC/CBD/CBN content! :thumb:

Interesting! That isn't unlike what they do with pipe tobacco during the curing process! Everyone has heard of Lord Cavendish who invented the process of flavor curing pipe tobacco to give it that wonderful sweet and fruity smell everyone loves about pipe tobacco! Although I quit smoking cigarettes a few years ago, I still enjoy a good tobacco pipe a few times a week after a good meal! Unlike cigs, I can smoke that in the house without upsetting the natives! :laughtwo:

Thanks Goose...
Yeah, it's a fine balancing act this year.
It's been a huge battle between the mites, the moths, the pillars, and the weather. My thought is should I harvest early to avoid any more attacks, or risk of mildew. Or should I continue the battle and risk it to hold out for a more potent and ripe bud with the perfect trichome ratio. Well I'm a gambling man so I decided to go for it. For one thing I figure in a worst case I will still be able to yield 80 percent, which should carry me out into next year with no problem without having to fork out any money to the dispensories. That is my entire intention for growing. Well that and the true passion of growing that is :).

Sagging Branches...
You hit the nail on the head Goose. That is exactly what I did.
During the course of my initial veg state of my grow I bought like 12 of those thick green 5ft stakes from Home Depot.. You know the ones that are somewhat bendable. Well they bend just a little I think. Anyway, they work great for staking up the plant. I use the spool of 1/2 thick gardening ribbon to tie up my plants. It can be pulled off the spool and can tear off easily. It is gentle and doesn't scar up the plants. I use it for all my tomatoes and cucumbers and other vegetables too. I showed Aston a picture of it already in an early post. But yes, I agree with you, better safe than sorry. You want to provide your prize crop with any support she needs. :)

Root Storage...
That was an interesting article about how the plant stores its sugars and starches that it produces in the roots at night. You know another thing I read about that topic, "harvesting at the right time to assure a smoother burn in your smoke." I read that if you take a leaf, break open a vein, and suck on it, if you taste any bitterness then the plant still has sugars and starches in it and needs more flushing. Now I thought..hmmmm is there any truth to this.. So I went out today to my plant and pulled a leaf and tried it. I couldn't get any juices out of the leaf. I guess you have to just ask one of the spider mites about that one.... hahah :laughtwo:

THC/CBD
Yeah that is interesting too how depending on the percentage of each will dictate the type of high will be delivered.. I'm just learning about that and trying to experiment between the different ratios and how it affects the outcome of the high.

Back in the hippie days, we didn't know what CBD's were and the role it played.
We were just looking for our next bag of weed..haha.. :laughtwo:

Curing Tobacco
Yeah, I am not familiar with Lord Cavendish, but it sounds like he was on the right track.. I toked on a tobacco pipe a few times in my life, but never really got into it very heavily.. I enjoyed smelling the tobacco in the package before it was smoked.. :) They had so many killer flavors. As for cigarettes I quite a little over 10 years ago... I am so glad, I will never go back to that again. I wished I never smoked. But I made my mind up one day to quite and just did it cold turkey and never looked back. Remember that commercial they used to have with the old lady that had a hole in her throat and would smoke the cigarette through there... I used to hate that commercial. I think after seeing that it would make anyone stop... :laughtwo:

Thats exactly what I got!!! But I only paid 12.99 for them!!! and I didn't even have to use them all!!! not shocked at all!!! LOL!!!

Ok Kewl.. I thought you had said you couldn't find 1qt size in cases and that you had to buy them individual. But if you got the ones you want for 12.99
then you are good and ready to start curing.. :goodjob:

Now I was wondering about storing for the long haul.. I am no canning expert, but I do recall reading somewhere that you either put the jar in the microwave or the lids in hot water to get them to make an airtight seal for long term storage.. something like that.. Do you know how to do this Aston?

that I dont know anything about, all I know is about the curing with the bottles!!! I know that I can throw them into ziplock baggies, press or suck all the air out of the bag, then throw them in the freezer!!! LOL

drying has now ended!!!

heres what the final results look like!!!

pulling them out of their drying home I made for them!!!
SAM_2759.JPG

this is all Afgoo 1!!!
SAM_2761.JPG

this I think was the longest Cola from her!!!
SAM_2764.JPG

And this is Afgoo 2
SAM_2765.JPG

and here is the main cola!!!
SAM_2766.JPG

Now I forgot to snap a shot of them in their jars but here is the counts on the weights!!!

Afgoo 1 jar 1 = 27 grams
Afgoo 1 jar 2 = 24 grams
Afgoo 1 jar 3 = 23 grams
Afgoo 1 jar 4 = 7 grams
Total from Afgoo 1 = 81 grams

Afgoo 2 jar 1 = 27 grams
Afgoo 2 jar 2 = 23 grams
Afgoo 2 jar 3 = 14 grams
Total of Afgoo 2 = 64 grams

Now that comes to a grand total of 145 grams!!!

which turns out to be 5 1/4oz.

Hell yea!!! not bad for first timer seed grow!!! first timer outdoors!!! and the most I have ever had in possession!!! not to mention all the budder that I made with the plants as well!!! oh and also I had some 15 grams out on the side that I am smoking on while I keep the rest of the ladies in cure!!! without a proper cure, it still does not taste bad at all!!! I mean don't get me wrong, I have them in a mason jar as well, still trying to apply the cure while I smoke on them!!! jarring them was totally fun!!! the wifey even jumped in and started helping!!! LOL at the end she complained about the stickyness!!! LOL

Now something I like to note about the Afgoo strain, or at least mine, it smells a lot like chocolate, if you have ever smoked on chocolope or chocolate guido OG, it has those smells to it!!! I can't wait for the cure to be completed and I can see if it tastes like chocolate!!!

Well...other than the smoke report this journal is pretty much at the end of its chapters!!!

I feel it was a great journal, I dont feel like I had many issues for my first seed grow!!! I hope everybody that followed along enjoyed the ride!!! and I hope that anybody reading this in the completed journals will gain some knowledge out of this!!!

this journal will come off my signature after completed as soon as cure is done and my smoke report has been given!!!

Very nice Budman!

Nice and FRoSTY! :thumb:

I think a few more weeks would be good if you can do it. :)

Thanks Goose.. :)

The one you see with the most red hairs is my Purple OG Kush. That one I call plant #1. It has matured the fastest and was my first pick for harvest. The other one you can see has more white hairs and is not ready yet as you say. It can use a few more weeks of seasoning in our hot sun.. Today was a freaking scorcher, was 100 here in the Southbay CA. My plants were loving it. I had to give my clones a drink.

Aston>>>
I just got back from Walmart and guess what...
I got your price beat on those mason jars.
I picked up a 12 pack case of them for 10.44 :)
That 17.00 cost I posted must have been an old price or maybe just what they
sell for online. I was happy with the cost. So I'm glad I have those ready to go. But I wanted to point it out to you or anyone else that is looking for them.
The price is definitely priced right. :thumb:

astonr420 said:
that I dont know anything about, all I know is about the curing with the bottles!!! I know that I can throw them into ziplock baggies, press or suck all the air out of the bag, then throw them in the freezer!!! LOL

Ugh!

You're kidding about the freezer right? Hope so! ;)

Congrats on your successful harvest Astonr! :thumb:

Be sure to give this harvest a good LONG cure before doing any serious smoke reports or indulging. I cure all my bud a minimum of 4 weeks before I try it, and I will often put it back in the closet for another week or two. I like my bud smooth with no harshness and a long slow cure is the best way to achieve that! :thumb:

I know a lot of first time growers with little or no stash will find it nearly impossible to resist tearing into that bud early, but it pays to wait! Some of my best bud is 18 to 24 months old. If you store it properly you can keep it viable indefinitely. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

Debudman said:
Thanks Goose.. :)

The one you see with the most red hairs is my Purple OG Kush. That one I call plant #1. It has matured the fastest and was my first pick for harvest. The other one you can see has more white hairs and is not ready yet as you say. It can use a few more weeks of seasoning in our hot sun.. Today was a freaking scorcher, was 100 here in the Southbay CA. My plants were loving it. I had to give my clones a drink.

Aston>>>
I just got back from Walmart and guess what...
I got your price beat on those mason jars.
I picked up a 12 pack case of them for 10.44 :)
That 17.00 cost I posted must have been an old price or maybe just what they
sell for online. I was happy with the cost. So I'm glad I have those ready to go. But I wanted to point it out to you or anyone else that is looking for them.
The price is definitely priced right. :thumb:

I hear ya! It was hotter than hell up here today too! I was sweating like a pig while I was transplanting my GDP clones outside this afternoon!

Supposed to last through Friday and then a cool down around Monday with possible T-Storms for us.

Good score on the jars! I think I pay around 13 bucks for a dozen up here, but with the closest Walmart 60 miles away, our locals can charge whatever they feel like! :icon_roll:

I got a good deal today too on some DRY General Hydroponics pH UP and DOWN powder. 1.5 pounds of each for $21.00 delivered! Sure beats paying all that $$$ for the same thing in liquid form! The last order lasted me almost 18 months! :thumb:

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

Back
Top Bottom