Ain't no sunshine: Thanks Trump!

Bush Doctor 77

Been growing indoors using Sunshine #4 mix for years befor I put up my greenhouse. I still do an occasional indoor grow, and use Sunshine for my seedlings and small plants. Tried to buy a bale today, and because of the tarrifs, peat products from Canada are now expensive. $40 a bale and last time was $24. Even my buds growing commercial have switched to choir after many years with Sunshine because of the cost. Choir sounds like a PIA though. Sunshine is very forgiving.

Probably want to fully hydrate it, rinse the <BLEEP> out of it, pre-treat it with a mild calcium nitrate solution, don't let it fully dry out... treat it like a hydroponic medium.

There are a few steps involved, yeah. But it's easier to carry home ;) .

How's the prices for CSPM nowadaze??

There was some Primeir left over at Lowers for $10 a bale. Which is a good price.

I'm thinking they are going to phaze out the low prices for CSPM here in the states.
Thanks likely to our government relationships on trade with friends. WTF?

Never could figure out why that one was cheaper than perlite.

Perl-lite $38/ bale

Primier 100% CSPM $10

Which one takes longer to grow??

I think we are burning up the old CSPM in our carz.

Perl-like = mother nature burning up the old CSPM,

Hmmm - I'm trying to find the on board location for Mother Nature.

She knows I'm looking.

I'm just photo bombing.

Calling this:

"Plant with issues?"

You know what... I'm good. We have a cottage in SE Ontario - there's bogs farther than I can see. There's more beyond that.

I'm gonna grow some weed in a peat bog. I have a Kyak and a 1/2 of a hand spade.

Not sure why I haven’t started making my own sunshine mix. I just seem to always be too busy to grab a truckload and process it. It’s totally silly. With prices going up like this I may have to start.

‘When I get time’ I’m going to go out on my road and see about grabbing a pickup load and if so I’ll start a DIY sunshine mix thread. Motivation in direct proportion to how many roots and such I have to chop through to get a load. And how much sifting after.
Then I have to figure out what proportions of gypsum, dolomite lime, and ‘special wetting agents’ I’d need. They also put in some trace of nutrients for starting seedlings. I think that’s all.

It does have some actually. That’s the least of my worries though. I usually add a small amount of bunny manure to all my sunshine mix to carry me through veg. But yes it has a small amount for starting seedlings. I have a ton of perlite.

From their site.

“Contains Dolomitic limestone to adjust media pH to 5.0-7.0 and to provide calcium and magnesium. Gypsum is added as a source of sulfur and calcium. In addition, Sunshine 4 has a highly soluble nutrient charge equivalent to about one liquid feeding with a complete fertilizer, plus trace elements at a normal rate.

Ingredients: Canadian sphagnum peat moss, coarse grade perlite, gypsum, dolomitic lime and Sun Gro’s long-lasting wetting agent.”

Yeah they don’t list it in the ingredients. But they’ve always stated that they add a starter amount

“Sunshine 4 has a highly soluble nutrient charge equivalent to about one liquid feeding with a complete fertilizer, plus trace elements at a normal rate.”

I’ve been growing in it for the last ten years and can attest that seedlings grow fine in it for a while without anything else added.

I think Sunshine #2 is the only one of their mixes that doesn’t have a bit of fertilizer added.

“Mix #2 is appropriate for the same general uses as Mix #1, but no starter nutrient charge has been added, allowing you to have complete control over fertilization.”

I've been using Sunshine for 15 years or so, always treated it as being nutrient free, and used the GH schedule from the get-go. My last seedlings did get some burn, and that was a first. I wonder if the formula has changed recently. I still find it a great hydroponic media. It is very forgiving toward pH, and doesn't require near as much care as conventional hydro methods. It holds a lot of water, drains good, provides aeration of the roots. Just have to make sure to give it a good flush when you hit it with full strength nutes.

Back
Top Bottom