Air Movement

Red-Cricket

Hey Gurus, Just how much air movement is actually needed and when do you start? One post said entering your closet twice daily would give you "enough" fresh airflow for a successful grow when another says you need several computer fans running constantly. How strong of a fan is needed. Thanks All Red

Hey Red...welcome to 420!
Gurus should be along shortly

Thanks Shark, Many sharp people in here.

Yeah, not sure where I would be without this place or the people who work here.

Are you talking about interior air movement to keep your plants strong? Start at day1 and keep a even constant small breeze going.

Are you talking about venting and air exchange? Depends on your needs. A small grow cab... yea, open the door a few times a day is fine. Larger area have different issues and often incorporate temp controls and fancy filtering. I have a mid size veg cab going... not sealed... puuulenty of air exchange, but I still vent out the top with a CPU fan to help exhaust the heat.

Cheers

also you will need enough air movement so leaves don't sit on each other and cause powdery mildew spots

From the sound of the question it sounds like u have some type of compact stealth set up. Any other type of setup a computer fan wouldn't suffice. Tell us a little about your setup like dimensions (length, width, height). What tpe of lighting system (Floros, CFL, MH, HPS, LED, etc)? What type of intake and exhaust system do you have. Air movement is important for a number of reasons. Let's take intake air flow. This is necessary to replace stagnant, O2 rich air with fresh air with usable CO2 for ur plants. Intake air also helps keep the humidity down on a sealed type of grow room. Air circulation (most often times achieves with wall oscillating fans. This is to move air through the canopy and like tead correctly stated, to keep leaves from overlapping, collecting condensation creating an environment conducive to growth of powdery mildew. Circulatory airflow can also be used effectively to combat pests. If the fans are aimed at the soil level, insects that lay eggs in soil can't land to lay eggs. Interrupting the life cycle can help control #s of pests. Exhaust is important to allow heat to escape and to rid the room of stale, used air. There are areas I didn't touch upon and some I may have simply forgotten. I think U get the pic. Maintaining good air flow and temps indoor is like 20%-25% of growing. Hope this helps some. NE thing else just ask.

Back
Top Bottom