Air powered aeroponic cloner! No more over heating!

BedroomFarmer

Alright so here is my hydro cloner. I haven't really seen anyone using these aero misters, so I bought them to see how well they work. These are fantastic and I want to get the word out on the Dewey mister! This is a aero mister that doesn't run off a fountain pump. It runs off an air pump so the water doesn't heat up and clean up is a breeze! I really think these are going to revolutionize hydro and I am very much looking forward to buying more and converting my little box to hydro. I dream of a grow room filled with large tubs, a chiller, a bunch of Dewey misters and a few plants.

Dewey-Mister-1_1200x1200.jpg

IMAG22623.jpg

IMAG22631.jpg

Here is what they look like. They are about 5" tall and are able to be mounted from the bottom. They run off of powerful air pumps. Your fish tank air pump will not put out the volume needed to run these guys. The smallest pump you can use is the eco air 2 and that will power two misters. Anymore and you'll need a commercial air pump.

IMAG22671.jpg

The mister comes with suction cups if you want to put them inside the container but I found it a lot better to mount from the bottom. It makes for easier clean up. I can just put a bleach solution and let that run through instead of having to clean the base of the Dewey mister and everything.

I used a step bit that runs to 13/16" the grommet is 13/16" and a 1/2" inside. I run the bit through but check for fit before I hit 13/16". One bucket I made the hole a little too small and had a little leak but when I went to open it up I went too big. Down to one bucket but that's ok, this one worked perfectly. I will build a larger cloner that I can put two deweys into.

IMAG22681.jpg

IMAG22691.jpg

Here we have 1 Dewey bottom mounted to a 3gal bucket

IMAG22701.jpg

IMAG22712.jpg

Here are two cloner buckets running off one pump. The spread is perfect.

IMAG22721.jpg

IMAG22781.jpg

I was able to fit 9 each. Neither of these hole saws are the correct size. I had to order a 1 7/8 in order to properly fit the 2" net cups.

IMAG2273.jpg

IMAG22771.jpg

Gotta make it light tight! Use reflective tape, don't cheap out. I went with the cheapest one that was still like 10 bucks. Had to wrap it a few times.

IMAG2280.jpg

IMAG2281.jpg

IMAG23041.jpg

IMAG2305.jpg

IMAG2306.jpg

IMAG23071.jpg

IMAG23422.jpg

IMAG23441.jpg

IMAG2345.jpg

IMAG23461.jpg

I have a seedling heat mat that I used for my clone dome. I put that under and the clone dome base on top. I put some foam from the neoprene collar under the bucket to keep the mister off the ground. I have my heat mat set to a temp probe but it is not water proof so I cut a little hole and slipped a finger from a rubber glove over the probe and put that in the hole. Set temps to 75℉ and I also needed to cut a hole for pressure relief. I put some air line in so water wouldn't pump out.

I tried using great white in the cloner but that produced a small amount of slime at the bottom so I cleaned out my cloner and filled with superthrive, 4 drops per gal of bleach and ph to 6. I found bleach is a must. I'm not sure why but if I used bleach from the start I'm pretty sure I would have clones a lot faster. Instead of bleach I am now using a product called Z7. I only put it in today, these guys rooted with the bleach. Some also recommend a specific type of pool shock and it's the same as ez cloners water additive at a much cheaper price. But you'll have to look into that. This is the easiest way to clone hands down. I'm done with coco and a clone dome!

So finally made the upgraded buckets. I used 2gallons buckets. I put the Dewey in from the bottom and everything is the same as last time except I used a product called reflectix to wrap my buckets and make a top. Here is the final product. The lid is a little hard to open and close but works. Remember you need a big pump, a aquarium pump won't work. The Dewey website has the pump you need.

IMG_0680-20170326-23374063.jpg

IMG_0669-20170326-23370463.jpg

IMG_0672-20170326-233719287.jpg

IMG_0672-20170326-233719287_1.jpg

IMAG24192.jpg

I can't believe the results I got from this! Very happy with these clones. I tried cloning this strain like 4 times with no success until now.

If you want to grow in these guys aero style you have to make sure your water level is low. Only to the first hole to let water in to be sprayed. If it goes high up then it's like a dwc aero hybrid and needs an airstone as well.

I am using a product called Z7 and want to get into it more because I don't think I have mentioned much about it.

"Z7 is a super concentrated, two-part, proprietary probiotic enzymatic cleanser. Z7 is not a plant food; it simply allows plant foods to work better because the nutrients can get into the roots easier. Z7 increases the chances that the plant will grow to its genetic potential because it is constantly cleansing the root system."

"Z7 is naturally steeped with 100% of the ingredients being certified organic, natural or food grade. Z7’s revolutionary formula contains no oils, detergents, soaps, surfactants, chlorine, hydrogen peroxide, colloidal silver or harsh chemicals."

Z7 is very economic at 1/2ml for 1 gallon of water And 5ml for every 10gallon of water. Add every 3-4 days!

I will use z7 in all my grows from aero, synthetic coco, Living Organic Coco, cloning, and in my aact tea vortex brewer.

flying_skull_z7_enzymes_enzyme_cleanser_704510-01.jpg

When I first started using the aero cloner I used great white. It left a slime and I think made my rooting time longer. Then I went with bleach, roots a few days later but they seemed to root better once I added z7. I'm sold on this product. Even with bleach the water was starting to slime up after a week or two. It's better to change your rez weekly but Z7 helps a lot if you get lazy or forget it's no big deal. The most important thing is it has to be added every 3-4 days. I didn't realize this and got some Brown on my roots. Hopefully I can turn it around as I caught it pretty early. This is the fastest I've seen roots for what I've cloned.

So finally made the upgraded buckets. I used 2gallons buckets. I put the Dewey in from the bottom and everything is the same as last time except I used a product called reflectix to wrap my buckets and make a top. Here is the final product. The lid is a little hard to open and close but works. Remember you need a big pump, a aquarium pump won't work. The Dewey website has the pump you need.

IMG_0680-20170326-23374063.jpg

IMG_0669-20170326-23370463.jpg

IMG_0672-20170326-233719287.jpg

IMG_0672-20170326-233719287_1.jpg

IMAG24192.jpg

I can't believe the results I got from this! Very happy with these clones. I tried cloning this strain like 4 times with no success until now.

If you want to grow in these guys aero style you have to make sure your water level is low. Only to the first hole to let water in to be sprayed. If it goes high up then it's like a dwc aero hybrid and needs an airstone as well.

I am using a product called Z7 and want to get into it more because I don't think I have mentioned much about it.

"Z7 is a super concentrated, two-part, proprietary probiotic enzymatic cleanser. Z7 is not a plant food; it simply allows plant foods to work better because the nutrients can get into the roots easier. Z7 increases the chances that the plant will grow to its genetic potential because it is constantly cleansing the root system."

"Z7 is naturally steeped with 100% of the ingredients being certified organic, natural or food grade. Z7’s revolutionary formula contains no oils, detergents, soaps, surfactants, chlorine, hydrogen peroxide, colloidal silver or harsh chemicals."

Z7 is very economic at 1/2ml for 1 gallon of water And 5ml for every 10gallon of water. Add every 3-4 days!

I will use z7 in all my grows from aero, synthetic coco, Living Organic Coco, cloning, and in my aact tea vortex brewer.

flying_skull_z7_enzymes_enzyme_cleanser_704510-01.jpg

When I first started using the aero cloner I used great white. It left a slime and I think made my rooting time longer. Then I went with bleach, roots a few days later but they seemed to root better once I added z7. I'm sold on this product. Even with bleach the water was starting to slime up after a week or two. It's better to change your rez weekly but Z7 helps a lot if you get lazy or forget it's no big deal. The most important thing is it has to be added every 3-4 days. I didn't realize this and got some Brown on my roots. Hopefully I can turn it around as I caught it pretty early. This is the fastest I've seen roots for what I've cloned.
What's the price tag on the z7 ??

Hey vex! So far I'm very impressed and I'm sure you will be too. This is my first aero grow if you want to check out the results look into my hloc thread. About to flower a gsc and Chernobyl in the Dewey bucket I made. It was a rough start as I put too much water in the buckets which led to low DO levels and root rot then went too low and they dried out a bit. My strongest plant even though it has some browning is throwing a lot of roots in the Dewey. I am periodically soaking it in peroxide when I do a rez change. Looking forward to seeing my results at harvest!

One thing I recently found out about Dewey is there is a Min and Max level on the sprayer. That helps out a ton and I shouldn't have issues anymore as long as I keep it in range!!

I am all for supporting small business but money is tight and making it was pretty cheap. The most expensive part was the air pump. Was a dual barb 3 watt. Much cheaper then a commercial air pump. The cloner works fantastic! It's just making the switch to aero. I had some fumbles but it wasn't the Dewey. The plants had issues due to my doing.

Although I did have to buy some drill bits I'm not taking that into account as I can use that to make more cloners or other projects.

My promotion came through officially at my job so I will probably end up with more Dewey products hopefully soon!

I definitely want to fill my little box with a diy Dewey sog tote.

I am all for supporting small business but money is tight and making it was pretty cheap. The most expensive part was the air pump. Was a dual barb 3 watt. Much cheaper then a commercial air pump. The cloner works fantastic! It's just making the switch to aero. I had some fumbles but it wasn't the Dewey. The plants had issues due to my doing.

Although I did have to buy some drill bits I'm not taking that into account as I can use that to make more cloners or other projects.

My promotion came through officially at my job so I will probably end up with more Dewey products hopefully soon!

I definitely want to fill my little box with a diy Dewey sog tote.
Well my friend, if that's the way you fly, so be it. I'm done with aero, for now anyhow. I don't need that many clones anyhow. I'm having great results, just putting a little clonex on the stems, & stick them straight into low ppm pure coco. I like tinkering, but I usually let guys like you figure it out & get all the bugs out, and then I'll build one. Otherwise, I'd build it 3 times before I get it right, and wind up spending more that I could have bought it, built. Ha !! Hope all 's good ?

I'm sorry you didn't like your aero experience. I'd like to hear your thoughts on aero. I was turned off to aero as well. The fountain pump and sprayers were not for me but these misters are a game changer, I think for aero. It makes life so much easier. No over heating, no clogging, I'm positive my 3w uses less electricity compared to a fountain pump, and the clean up has been super easy. Since my Dewey comes in from the bottom I don't need to disinfect the base of the Dewey. So all I do is bleach solution and let it run for a bit, scrub with a sponge, rinse, fill with fresh water let it run, rinse, and fill up with nutes. My clones ended up with great beautiful white roots but I was vegging one plant per Dewey bucket and the water got too low and dried out the roots after it was too high and not getting enough DO to the roots. Despite the setbacks one plant is looking great. The other is in the closet in coco trying to bring her back. I feel you on the clones. I've had times when I didn't know what to do with all of them.

Coco was my go to! I loved cloning in coco. That was much easier then rockwool or anything else I tried before Dewey. For me cloning in coco is my next favorite and I will use it when my buckets are in use for other strains. The only issue I had was this GSC would not root in the coco. I thought it was me after all the clones I've taken I've lost my touch??? Then I cloned Afghan and gsc at the same time, Afghan took. Cloning in coco is great but still have to do environmental stuff like humidity dome and making sure coco doesn't dry out. These aero buckets are by far the easiest way I've ever cloned and they took out all the guess work on environment. I simply put water and a few drops of bleach per gallon and got root, when I changed from bleach to z7 the results were even better. I didn't really ph from what I remember but I'm sure it will only help. Also the leaves stayed greener then I've ever had.

When I put something together it's normally a prototype to see how it works and then I can make something better once I understand my idea better. I usually have at least two versions but this is my final version. Dewey mark 2! I'm very happy with it and to make the new version it only cost a few bucks for a different bucket and about $15.for the reflective stuff everything else is reusable. Normally when I make my first go I can reuse most of the original to keep costs down.

Even though I'm happy with the mark 2 there is always stuff I would add or Change. I would look for a black bucket with lid to make life easier and I would use Dewey insert. It takes the place of neoprene. With the smaller size I'd be able to fit 14 sites on each bucket. I like the 2" for veg/flower. A lid is only a dollar or two so easy fix if I ever felt the need.

I just flipped to 12/12 woot! Exciting times for sure.

I'm sorry you didn't like your aero experience. I'd like to hear your thoughts on aero. I was turned off to aero as well. The fountain pump and sprayers were not for me but these misters are a game changer, I think for aero. It makes life so much easier. No over heating, no clogging, I'm positive my 3w uses less electricity compared to a fountain pump, and the clean up has been super easy. Since my Dewey comes in from the bottom I don't need to disinfect the base of the Dewey. So all I do is bleach solution and let it run for a bit, scrub with a sponge, rinse, fill with fresh water let it run, rinse, and fill up with nutes. My clones ended up with great beautiful white roots but I was vegging one plant per Dewey bucket and the water got too low and dried out the roots after it was too high and not getting enough DO to the roots. Despite the setbacks one plant is looking great. The other is in the closet in coco trying to bring her back. I feel you on the clones. I've had times when I didn't know what to do with all of them.

Coco was my go to! I loved cloning in coco. That was much easier then rockwool or anything else I tried before Dewey. For me cloning in coco is my next favorite and I will use it when my buckets are in use for other strains. The only issue I had was this GSC would not root in the coco. I thought it was me after all the clones I've taken I've lost my touch??? Then I cloned Afghan and gsc at the same time, Afghan took. Cloning in coco is great but still have to do environmental stuff like humidity dome and making sure coco doesn't dry out. These aero buckets are by far the easiest way I've ever cloned and they took out all the guess work on environment. I simply put water and a few drops of bleach per gallon and got root, when I changed from bleach to z7 the results were even better. I didn't really ph from what I remember but I'm sure it will only help. Also the leaves stayed greener then I've ever had.

When I put something together it's normally a prototype to see how it works and then I can make something better once I understand my idea better. I usually have at least two versions but this is my final version. Dewey mark 2! I'm very happy with it and to make the new version it only cost a few bucks for a different bucket and about $15.for the reflective stuff everything else is reusable. Normally when I make my first go I can reuse most of the original to keep costs down.

Even though I'm happy with the mark 2 there is always stuff I would add or Change. I would look for a black bucket with lid to make life easier and I would use Dewey insert. It takes the place of neoprene. With the smaller size I'd be able to fit 14 sites on each bucket. I like the 2" for veg/flower. A lid is only a dollar or two so easy fix if I ever felt the need.

I just flipped to 12/12 woot! Exciting times for sure.
Did you treat that Chernobyl with something like AzaMax !! Yes, them nice dispensaries sell spider mites also. Can you imagine a spider mite outbreak at a dispensary ?:rofl:

Did you treat that Chernobyl with something like AzaMax !! Yes, them nice dispensaries sell spider mites also. Can you imagine a spider mite outbreak at a dispensary ?:rofl:

I didn't treat them with anything but that stuff looks excellent! Thanks for sharing! That's on the list of stuff to buy as it looks like it treats more then sns 203. I also have a sample of sns spider mite spray. Ill pick up azamax when I run out of sample.

I'm very sceptical of clones too, especially from a stranger. I wouldn't get clones from a place that sells what people bring them. How would I know its even the strain they say? I have this one place I trust that only deals in clones but I found a "boutique" dispensary. The Chernobyl came from their growers and you can tell everything was done with love! The buds and extracts we're of high quality, best I've seen in any dispensary but these clones! All of them gorgeous! Even better then my go to place only thing is this place had two options only. The budtender was really knowledgeable about the clones too, I was testing him. Well see what happens in flower though. If I get mites it definitely would be coming from Chernobyl.

Finally set up the Dewey bucket cloner and wanted to share some pictures from the build!
420-magazine-mobile1990309713.jpg

We were cheap and used a razor knife and a sharpie to make the holes
420-magazine-mobile1251454649.jpg

420-magazine-mobile2058498387.jpg

With a sharp blade and a steady grip the holes came out perfect
420-magazine-mobile1184262789.jpg

Little Dewey action and finally, we have a couple test clones
420-magazine-mobile248562552.jpg

We will come on back to let you know how it works out!

Back
Top Bottom