Air pruning pots vs regular pots

I'll try and get pics after this next harvest. They do not get the ropes wrapping around the bucket you can get when close to root bound in a normal planter or the big wad / ball in the middle. More of an even root mass thru out the bucket, hard to explain... Dunno if the hydroton mixed in helps but I got more or less the same thing with strate FFOF. I use Hydroton to cut the soil. (I am somewhat of a cheapo) :)

SSH just got thrown into flower 3 days ago so no pics for about 65 - 70 days. I will post pics when I harvest them.

Smart pots work somewhat better but, for how few times I actually do soil indoors are not worth my time. I do hydro mostly and outdoors spring - fall. Indoor soil for me is either for mothers or for a couple of plants that are a different strain then my hydro, 6 Bubba Kush in a 37.5 gallon cooler res and 2 SSH in 5 gallon ea. soil atm.

I actually keep a male Mr. Nice SSH "father" in soil on the other end of my basement used for making babies (seeds) for my out door grows. He is getting old and tired tho, gonna have to clone him this winter.

I'm using a 10 gallon air pot, the ones with all the cones around them. I will see if it makes any difference. The smart pots -- fabric, do work a little better than a regular pot, I.e. I've tried 5 gallon regular black pot from hydro store and a 5 gallon fabric pot. The fabric works better.

Hydro hybrid on youtube also tested the fabric pot against a regular pot. Big difference.

I think......yeah, I have an idea. Instead of arguing about which is "better," because that's an opinion, let's discuss what we've found through experience. After sifting through all the opinion here it looks like people growing with Air, Smart, Fabric pots have noticed a difference in their root structures. I find this appealing and having dealt with root balling and root rot in even the largest of plastic containers I'm going to give my new grow a try with some 7 gallon Smart Pots. I like to spend a little more for things I believe can be beneficial. Sometimes it's not about the destination but rather enjoying the journey and learning along the way.

I agree that the journey is rather enjoyable but the end game is pretty good as well. I went with home made fabric pots. I went from clone to 3 gallons to 7 gallons. They will have been in the sevens a little over a month at flip. They were in the 3's for a month or so as well. The roots at transplant filled the pots with tiny roots. As the roots in a hard pot always seem to swirl and rise up I went with a shorter wider pattern. Mine are also actual 7 gallons instead of the usual trade gallon, which is 3/4 of a gallon or so. When they are chopped I will remove all soil from the roots and take a pic. A friend will soon do a side by side with sisters with pots I gave him. Will report back on that as well.

This has been an awesome arguscussion! I have the ability to make my own opinions based on both of your bickering ;) Both have good points and information, let's all just group hug haha

Re: A top nutrient study: Which is the best? Produces most?

The only difference you'll see is the type of mass, not a larger or better one. And since you're using Smart pots instead of the other taller brands of fabric pots, you'll have a shorter bushy mass instead of the healthier longer compact mass.
If you're going to stick with fabric pots for indoor growing, which is silly, at least use the better Gro or Aero brands. Even Geo is a better brand than Smart. :peace:

Tangerine Dream ladies love the Geo Pot. When adding H2O I wrap the Geo (5 gallons) with vinyl from Wal Mart which prevents the outflow. Another method is to add a quart then go back in an hour and add a gallon of H2O, this also prevents overflow out the sides of the Geo Pots. I love the handles to drag them and lift them.:circle-of-love:

It seems to me that the Superoots Air-Pots were designed primarily to facilitate successful transplants; the theory being that the outward-facing roots have an easier time integrating into new surroundings than do bound/spiraled roots.

seems to me that indoor growers would like these also .. i know from experience that you CAN get root rot indoors and from
what i have read , the fabric pots not only air prune , but also allow for soil aeration , which is great for avoiding RR ...
comments ?
on the matter of indoor pots , i am still looking for 2 and 3 gallon containers that are taller ,, i can deal with some extra height , b
but limited with square footage ... garce

i understand the pros and cons and the theories of fabric pots , but have not found a key point ..
do they help with root aeration , in other words , do they represent a tool against root rot ?
that would make them beneficial to me , i really have not experienced root bound plants , even in a 1 gal container ,
as you point out , the indoor grow cycle is not all that long , especially when switching to a 12/12 after a month ...
Does anyone know if there are aerating properties that would prevent root rot ? thanks .. garce

Lively discussion. I tried three 7 gallon smart pots. I do like the concept, but I don't like random shaped bean bags that are difficult to move and arrange in a small space. I'm probably going to put these pots into my standard square foot plastic pots with panels cut out of the sides to make a sort of hybrid pot similar to versions mentioned above.

I loved them inside, but I'm not sure about outside. If you run 5 gallon ones they fit perfectly in a milk crate, so you kind of get the best of both worlds like you're talking about Chippy. Not sure if the milk crate works for the seven G, but I understand what you're thinking. Good luck

have some smart pots on order 2 gal ... to start , expanding my space a bit , so i'll probably pick up some 3 gals and see
what happens

Today, Jan 30, 2018, I posted on the thread, POT SIZE FOR AUTOS about an article based on research by Dr. Carl Whitcomb about the differences between traditional pots (e.g. buckets w/ holes drilled in their bottoms), fabric pruning pots, and rigid sided plastic air rooting pots. There is also a video on Youtube featuring Dr. Whitcomb on ROOT SYSTEMS BASICS - YOUTUBE. It was on the basis of the information in the article and video, plus reading corroborating info from other botnists and biologists, etc., that I made my choice to do my first ever grow in the Air Rooting Pots.

I do appreciate that all the reading in the world will not transform me into a successful grower of cannabis and that in every case, trial and error and experience and practical application of learned skills results in most success.

Which is why I am poring through these posts and threads to learn as much as I can.

"Do or Do Not. There is no Try". Yoda.

I won't use anything but fabric pots , like SMart Pots . some fabs are different material , but i like these the best ,
they are kind of like felt ....
NOTE ... the pots can be reused a lot of times , however , after each harvest , CLEAN THE POTS ... soak them in a mild
bleach solution , then rinse ... there will be build up of salts and possibly pathogens that will affect the next grow ...
size matters , but you have to experiment here ... remember , water runs out the bottom (and sides) so keep a
tarp down or tray or something ..
also remember , when growing inside , you can feed daily and there is not the same need for a large root system ,
so smaller pots may be best ,,, again , that's a learn .... garce

Back
Top Bottom