Air stones & bad bacteria

20200328_210641.jpg

In a 10gal res but they have pumps of all sizes. Could probably go a little bigger in a bigger res without much heat.

Air stones cause the oxygen molecules to be smaller in size witch can be absorbed a lot easier in the water ,larger bubbles only float to the surface , water has a saturation point as to how much oxygen it can absorb, temperature controls this amount , 72 degrees is the perfect temp for maximum saturation , clean your stones and hoses, cords regularly and keep the bacteria in check , stones are a diffuser making the bubbles smaller , the mist only attaches it self to the lid on your rez and drips back down into your solution in the rez , the ph of the water dripping back in has now changed as it has been exposed to large quantities of air , thus changing the ph of your rez to a small degree also ,oxygen and water breed bacteria so you will never stop this process , just control it ,z9,z7 what ever you are using is just a method of helping to control the bacteria, but I am a believer that what ever is in your water winds up in your plant also to some degree , I prefer not to have that in my buds , I guarantee it is in your buds to some small degree , mother nature doesn't use , z9,z7 its just another marketing scam to get you to buy more shit from them -it is all about the dollars people , good old fashion clean water is all you need , a good r.o. system is all you need to take the crap out of your water and you will see your bacteria will have a harder time to grow. if you are really worried about the bacteria get a u.v. light, consistent cleanliness and good clean water is all you need , the plant will figure the rest out , it has done it for millions of years with out z9 etc , wow sorry about the rant !

Air stones cause the oxygen molecules to be smaller in size witch can be absorbed a lot easier in the water ,larger bubbles only float to the surface , water has a saturation point as to how much oxygen it can absorb, temperature controls this amount , 72 degrees is the perfect temp for maximum saturation , clean your stones and hoses, cords regularly and keep the bacteria in check , stones are a diffuser making the bubbles smaller , the mist only attaches it self to the lid on your rez and drips back down into your solution in the rez , the ph of the water dripping back in has now changed as it has been exposed to large quantities of air , thus changing the ph of your rez to a small degree also ,oxygen and water breed bacteria so you will never stop this process , just control it ,z9,z7 what ever you are using is just a method of helping to control the bacteria, but I am a believer that what ever is in your water winds up in your plant also to some degree , I prefer not to have that in my buds , I guarantee it is in your buds to some small degree , mother nature doesn't use , z9,z7 its just another marketing scam to get you to buy more shit from them -it is all about the dollars people , good old fashion clean water is all you need , a good r.o. system is all you need to take the crap out of your water and you will see your bacteria will have a harder time to grow. if you are really worried about the bacteria get a u.v. light, consistent cleanliness and good clean water is all you need , the plant will figure the rest out , it has done it for millions of years with out z9 etc , wow sorry about the rant !
I haven't added any Z7 to my res yet and I don't have any problems so far. Only 2 weeks in right now though. I change my water weekly and clean everything before I put the plant back into the new bucket.

Mother nature doesnt use Z7? Have you smelled a stagnant stream? There is a reason why municipal water companies put chlorine and chloramine in stored city water. Since I'm using RO where all that is stripped from water and stored in a small container not found in mother nature I add slf100 to keep slime caused by bacteria down. If you dont get slime then no reason to use it, either way I highly doubt enzymes are gonna end up in your bud.... I can see nutrients that contain heavy metals being an issue tho.

It's not some conspiracy though. if you dont wanna use it dont use it. :passitleft:

I wonder what would be the signs of a lack of DO in the water. I did a change yesterday and left my stone out so it would be beneficial to me to know what to look out for. I'm in week 6 of flower so ya not the best time to try this but I'm quite confident that things will be fine. Seems to me t'would be wise to know what to watch for though.

I did a bunch of reading on it yesterday but somehow that detail skipped by me.

I wonder what would be the signs of a lack of DO in the water. I did a change yesterday and left my stone out so it would be beneficial to me to know what to look out for. I'm in week 6 of flower so ya not the best time to try this but I'm quite confident that things will be fine. Seems to me t'would be wise to know what to watch for though.

I did a bunch of reading on it yesterday but somehow that detail skipped by me.
Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Well I'm back to let you know how things went....I guess.

The day after I took my air stone out I got a mini pump so I wasn't very worried about a lack of DO in my water. I will also say that the Enzymes Komplete seems to aerate the water quite a bit, I put 6ml in my 10 gal res and I noticed that there was condensation on the lid which is something I never had even with the air stone.

My harvest sucked IMO, I got 7 oz from 4 plants. Enough to keep me happy until next crop but certainly nothing to brag about either. I've much to learn. I do not believe that lack of DO had anything to do with it because I noticed the change in my plants before I took out that air stone. They finished 2-3 weeks early, my pistils were all...mostly... about 95% changed by that last res change and my final 2 weeks were lost. The reason I believe was due to my water temps... user error... too slow to react....doh!

I use my exhaust fan to regulate my RH, my incoming air is much colder so I chase it around my res on the way in to keep the water temps down. Did some minor adjustments and that setup started to work too well in that my water was cold... way too cold especially at night. I believe that is why they shut down early, I was too slow to realize all I had to do was take some of the cowling out at night.

Bad timing on my part, the last 3 weeks are not the best time to change things unless you really need to. Oh well I've enough to smoke for now, better luck next time.

In a week or 2 I will be starting up again, I intend to leave out my air stone and keep the mini pump in.

Long story short I'm a bubble expert.

To achieve insanely high DO levels and prevent bacterial buildup you can try a device called the
oxydoser PUREair bubble generator nano-micro bubble air stone hydroponic

I would just post the link, but 420 mods beat their tits into the next dimension if you do.
But copy & paste that into google can you'll see the device, it is very efficient.
You could also look at sonication bubble generators, but are likely to be much more costly

I would never run my DWC buckets without airstones. A nice rolling boil of bubbles from a strong pump and properly sized stones. This is a known method that flat out works.

To each his own & I'm sure there are a thousand ways to oxygenate your water. It's all situational. I suggest experimenting and finding out what works best for you.
Perfect

True story I run a 8 bucket RDWC system with top feed and a air line to each bucket in flower. I started a run and everything was good the first week but during week two 1 plant started to slow. Buy week 3 I found a kink in the air line after lots of this :hmmmm:I must have pulled it to tight looking at the root balls ( the kink was in the equipment room). Within a week the plant completely caught back up to the other 7.

Throughout the waterfall effect was the exact same for each bucket. DO is key to a healthy plant and I would never run system without air stones.

A plant will grow with just a top feed but it’s impossible to know what your missing until you have the same stain in the same system in the same environment and cut the air stone to just one plant.
I promise if you try you will never run without one again.

lm no air stone rep either lol. I run my flood and drain table in veg without any air stones.

Stay safe and enjoy everyone

When it comes to air stones, I think of them as a last resort. I can think of a few reasons.
1. As stated above, a breeding ground for things not beneficial to your hydroponics.
2. The last thing I want to do to my reservoir is add heat. If you think your not going to be pumping warm air into your reservoir your sadly mistaken. You will.
3. Another potential headache from a pump failure. Adds another potential into the mix.
These facts led me to create my own oxygenated water, by making sure the reservoir return dump was a good 6 inches or so from the top of the water level in the reservoir. This "waterfall" effect adds a constant supply of fresh o2 into the reservoir every minute of the day and night.
Redundancy built in.
Each side has 2" dumps into the reservoir
20200116_182047.jpg

Water is pumped to the top of the buckets, running down through the bucket and flowing into the 2 inch drains. When it hits the T, it dumps back into the reservoir.
20200311_173315.jpg

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom