AK47 3rd week of flower def issue

fanleaf

Hello.
My AK47 is in the 3rd week of flower and several bottom fans are turning really yellow like a banana and soft.

Single AK47 indoors
400W Advanced LED (285 actual pull watts)
Topped twice/supercropped in a 5 gallon air pot​

FFOF soil
FF Nute Line including Grow Big//Big Bloom/Tiger Bloom/Open Sesame/Beasty Bloomz/ChaChing along with calmag/epsom/superthrive Earth Juice etc.
Distilled water

Shes on the FF feeding schedule and plenty of calmag and epsom fed to her every water and sometimes with food too.

PH of soil is what I'm not sure about. I ph all food and water to around 6.8 and directly after feeding her I stick the ph probe in the soil and it shows 5.7 or so. Runoff shows 5.6-5.7 also. If I then wait a day for the soil to dry up just a bit it will read about 6.0 and in a day or 2 after that sticking the probe in shows 6.4-6.6. My question is is my soil probe just reading high because the soil is dryer after a few days or because it's buffering like it should. If it's actually 5.6-5.7 and that is the correct result then I think I need to flush with some sledgehammer and get salts out that may be causing low ph.

Here is a pic of A LOWER fan that fell off after turning a soggy yellow. I LAID IT AT THE TOP OF THE PLANT SO YOU CAN SEE THE DIFFERENCE.
IMG_042833.JPG
NEXT. THIS IS A PIC OF A FEW MORE BOTTOM FANS THAT ARE DOING THE SAME THING.
IMG_042726.JPG
Does it look like I'm getting a def.

I'm feeding fairly heavy. Her last feed was 2 days ago and was 2Tsp Grow Big + 2 tsp Tiger Bloom +1TBS Big Bloom + 1/2 tsp Beastie Bloom and 1 1/2 tsp calmag.

Thanks

Hey fanleaf, I think you are okay because the rest of the plant looks great. Lower leaves gonna die off cause they get no light.

I do wanna say thanks for your help in one of my posts. Adding lime really helped the ph and I get a runoff of 6.3ph when in at 6.45ph. My plant has been doing very good and the best I've ever seen compared to my first grow (this is my second).

IMG_094834.JPG
IMG_095038.JPG
IMG_094734.JPG
IMG_094630.JPG

Compared to my first grow below using 100% FFOF:

IMG_090126.JPG

Hey fanleaf, I think you are okay because the rest of the plant looks great. Lower leaves gonna die off cause they get no light.

I do wanna say thanks for your help in one of my posts. Adding lime really helped the ph and I get a runoff of 6.3ph when in at 6.45ph. My plant has been doing very good and the best I've ever seen compared to my first grow.

Actually I ended up flushing her today. Her lower leaves do get decent light just the way I have her all set up. Actually her very bottom 2 branches are just as dominant as the top ones and just as tall. The brown spotting along with the yellow leaves and red stems was just too much to ignore any longer. It made a huge and almost instantaneous positive difference. Red colored stems are fading back to normal already and the leaves are all standing at attention towards the light. Pretty typical to have to flush a time or 2 durring flower using a bunch of synthetic ferts and I guess I just didn't realize she needed it that bad. She never sagged or anything after the flush but instead looks much better already. At start of flush my soil ph was acidic in the mid 5's. After flush was 6.4-6.5 in the soil towards the bottom of the pot so it was a huge difference. I'll post some pics here soon. Shes only just ended her 3rd week of flower and still has 4-6 weeks left but already has 5-6 inch long buds growing together. She's gonna be a yielder for sure.

Very happy the dolomite pulled your ph back up for you. I just added a few more tsp to mine today too because I think the old stuff was wearing out a bit.

After this grow, do you think you are going to continue to use FFOF? I am still not sure what medium I am going to use after this grow.

lol. Good question!

Honestly I started another plant a few 3 and a half weeks ago and started it using FFOF mixed with 10-15% Miracle grow for starter plants so it was a bit lighter on nutes. Also added 3 tablespoons per gallon of dolomite per gallon of soil as well as 20% perlite from the start. So far I can say this has made the new grow almost effortless. Everything is as good as can be. No issues what so ever. If this new one goes the way it has been I have a decision to make because I already bought a bale of Promix HP and the full and I mean full line of Advanced nutes ph perfect line. How bout you? You thinking of trying it again but adjusted differently from the start?

lol. Good question!

Honestly I started another plant a few 3 and a half weeks ago and started it using FFOF mixed with 10-15% Miracle grow for starter plants so it was a bit lighter on nutes. Also added 3 tablespoons per gallon of dolomite per gallon of soil as well as 20% perlite from the start. So far I can say this has made the new grow almost effortless. Everything is as good as can be. No issues what so ever. If this new one goes the way it has been I have a decision to make because I already bought a bale of Promix HP and the full and I mean full line of Advanced nutes ph perfect line. How bout you? You thinking of trying it again but adjusted differently from the start?

Since I am out of FFOF, I am thinking of trying DWC because it seems like I would have a lot more control over the entire plant, which I don't think I have from soil.

Since I am out of FFOF, I am thinking of trying DWC because it seems like I would have a lot more control over the entire plant, which I don't think I have from soil.

That was exactly my thought too! I like the idea of having much more or close to all control of the levels of everything. I'm going to see how the grow finishes that's just behind this one and decide from there. I want to see if I can get a soil mix dialed in so I don't have all of the issues I had with this girl.
I am very interested in knowing how a DWC grow goes for you if you try it and I will also keep you up to date on the differences with the younger soil grow goes as well. As well as it's going right now I have a feeling that just prepping the soil better and mixing some things from the start is making all of the difference. Time will tell I guess.
Even if this one goes really well I still want to expand my horizons and is why I would be very interested in seeing how a new way goes for you.

This is sure a great place to meet others and share experiences. Glad I stumbled onto it.

If you're growing in soil don't ph the water. If using tap water bubble out the chlorine for a few hours.
Your plant is not absorbing nutrients because PH is not in the right range. Feeding it more will not correct the problem. Salt will just build up.
After watering your plant catch the run off and test the ppm/ph. No need to guess. Know exactally what to do.
Flushing with plain water is a good remedy.

Winter is a good time to try dwc. 2x the growth.

If you're growing in soil don't ph the water. If using tap water bubble out the chlorine for a few hours.
Your plant is not absorbing nutrients because PH is not in the right range. Feeding it more will not correct the problem. Salt will just build up.
After watering your plant catch the run off and test the ppm/ph. No need to guess. Know exactally what to do.
Flushing with plain water is a good remedy.

Winter is a good time to try dwc. 2x the growth.

None of that actually answered anything I asked but thanks for the response anyways. I know very well about everything you said.

If you're growing in soil don't ph the water.

While this may work for some, thee are millions of variables and it will not work for others.

If using tap water bubble out the chlorine for a few hours.

Sorry man but did you not read the post? DISTILLED water clearly listed.

Your plant is not absorbing nutrients because PH is not in the right range.

Dude, let me just copy my whole last paragraph.
"PH of soil is what I'm not sure about. I ph all food and water to around 6.8 and directly after feeding her I stick the ph probe in the soil and it shows 5.7 or so. Runoff shows 5.6-5.7 also. If I then wait a day for the soil to dry up just a bit it will read about 6.0 and in a day or 2 after that sticking the probe in shows 6.4-6.6. My question is is my soil probe just reading high because the soil is dryer after a few days or because it's buffering like it should. If it's actually 5.6-5.7 and that is the correct result then I think I need to flush with some sledgehammer and get salts out that may be causing low ph."

Come on bro. All of this has been said in the very first post.......I did test runoff.

Why try to give advice when you clearly don't even read the thread. It's all been handled. She's healthy now. Thanks for the input on the DWC though.

Sorry didn't think repeating useful stuff would be offensive.

You know what your doing and don't need me to tell you not to ph water.

Have a good day.

Sorry didn't think repeating useful stuff would be offensive.

You know what your doing and don't need me to tell you not to ph water.

Have a good day.

Don't take offense brotha, I didn't. Stay, hang out and talk weed lol. For real though, shes all good now. My main question was actually trying to figure out soil ph buffering and when to trust my soil probe. I got her figured out now though. I need to trust the probe when the soil is drenched and was showing high 5's. I just had hoped that it was more right when the soil dried a bit and showed mid 6's lol. Flushed the salts, added some new and shes off to the races again.

You must take 3 puffs before posting.

FFOF is very hot soil. It feeds for 3 months. I like to cut it with 50% coco or peat moss, large perlite. It increases yield and vigor.
I add 100 ppm cal/mg when I water and some molasses once in a while. (I prefer to make super soil vs using bottle nutes.)

How come you're feeding your plant so soon? Small plants don't need additional food for the entire grow.

The problem. PH too low/ppm too high. Solution? Don't add PH down(or nutrients).

If it were too hot then with ph in range and feeding at 1200ppm like I am now she would burn for sure. Ive never used ph down. There is absolutely no nutrition left in my soil. There hasn't been anything left for a while and shes only 2 months old today. Go look at my journal. I'm feeding her really heavy, ph is in range, shes stacking up flowers and exploding. Flushed soil will not hold nutes for 3 months or 3 weeks for that matter.

The issue was some salt build up and its all good now

Back
Top Bottom