Ak48 - DWC - CFL

NO MORE AK48!
So the root issues I was having were caused by bad genetics that came from a bad source... The last remaining AK48 i was growing was literally dying from the inside out. The roots were dying and gunking up the system. I removed the misfit and now the clone I started (because i had a feeling none of the AK's would make it) is growing great.
Here's some pics!!

A couple weeks after rooting.
eclne.jpg

Low stress training by tying branches down with wire
lsttop.jpg

lst_clone.jpg
toprefld.jpg

Added a SCROG!!!! very excited

scrgtop.jpg
scrogbottom.jpg

Ill keep posting pictures every week. i plan to veg for 2 more weeks then flower. i hope to have the 1.5'x2.5' almost full by then.

Happy Growing friends :peace:

Just to clarify again, this is NOT an AK-48. Due to weak genetics the AK's were not suitable to grow.
The plant here is a clone from a mystery seed. I left it in this journal because im lazy and I thought anyone who was curious as to what led up to this point would have an easier time going back through the same journal. Again NOT AK-48 anymore. I will be contacting the place where I got the seeds from to tell them my complaints.
Thanks for following along, :peace:

Sorry to hear about your original plants. I am a first timer myself so I like to see what others did that didn't work. I believe you learn more from your failures than you do your successes. I am having concerns myself about the roots being healthy and no slime. I have some VAM by BioAG, but I haven't used it yet as it is not designed for a hydro grow. But I saw that KingJohnC put a link up for some "homebrew" so i will be checking that out shortly.
I see that you decided to go with the SCRoG after all. Any specific reason you changed your mind?? I am planning on doing the same style of LST, but water changes are giving me some stress. I did find a double bucket setup and allows you to add water to the secondary bucket and then the water is shared with the actual plant in the other bucket by way of a going from one to the other.

I am looking at maybe doing this setup as I already have a hose on my current bucket. I have that there to not only check my water level, but to help me drain it when I need to change the water. It would be very simple for me(famous last words) to just toss another bucket on.

Good luck and I hope this batch turns out better than the last. Hopefully, whomever sold you the bad seeds will try to make it right. I would send pics of them and explain a little what you did and try to show that it was bad genetics. I'm not sure if you can prove bad genetics, but if you've got plants growing in the same medium now, it should be pretty obvious. That being said, common sense is a rare quality these days. Best of luck and I will keep watching!

Sorry to hear about your original plants. I am a first timer myself so I like to see what others did that didn't work. I believe you learn more from your failures than you do your successes. I am having concerns myself about the roots being healthy and no slime. I have some VAM by BioAG, but I haven't used it yet as it is not designed for a hydro grow. But I saw that KingJohnC put a link up for some "homebrew" so i will be checking that out shortly.
I see that you decided to go with the SCRoG after all. Any specific reason you changed your mind?? I am planning on doing the same style of LST, but water changes are giving me some stress. I did find a double bucket setup and allows you to add water to the secondary bucket and then the water is shared with the actual plant in the other bucket by way of a going from one to the other. Here is a link that will explain it better than I probably just did.

How to Build a Two-Bucket DWC System | High Times

I am looking at maybe doing this setup as I already have a hose on my current bucket. I have that there to not only check my water level, but to help me drain it when I need to change the water. It would be very simple for me(famous last words) to just toss another bucket on.

Good luck and I hope this batch turns out better than the last. Hopefully, whomever sold you the bad seeds will try to make it right. I would send pics of them and explain a little what you did and try to show that it was bad genetics. I'm not sure if you can prove bad genetics, but if you've got plants growing in the same medium now, it should be pretty obvious. That being said, common sense is a rare quality these days. Best of luck and I will keep watching!

Welcome, Khraevyn. I recommend the dwc to anyone who has a basic understanding of hydroponics. Its very susceptible to slime and thing so and cleaning additive is crucial. Ive never tried KingJohns tea recipe by have heard good things. To my understanding the only benefits to the tea over products like hydroguard is just a more diverse population of beneficial microorganisms. Which isn't bad certainly but if I can achieve a clean system without having to brew tea then that's my rout. Z7 has and is working for me. Its cost effective and super simple.
I decided to add the screen because keeping the limbs tied down was quickly becoming a hassle. I was hesitant at first because I was concerned about changing the bucket with the screen would be impossible but now it doesnt matter because my roots have tangled around the air hoses in the bucket, therefore I cant remove the lid anyway. This makes me very nervouse. Im using the Heisenberg method to keep my nutrient levels in order. If your looking to build a screen for your system try to build one light weight so the plant itself is what supports it. You will have to lst your plant until it is strong enough. Or tou can build the base of the screen to the bucket lid itself so everything moves as one when it come time to change the water.
Recirculating bucket systems are also worth looking into. I recomment getting designs and info from somewhere other than hightimes magazine. As much as every stoner would hate to admit, it isnt the best source for info. More of a novist thing if you ask me.
I look forward to seeing what you decide to do with your grow so keep me posted. If you would like to know where the bad genetics came from hust message me. I dont want to violate any rules on here.
Happy Growing!!!!

Just read through your journal mate and lucky you had that clone to save your grow, turned out to be a nice plant too, get anywhere flowering it?

Yea no kidding. That would have been a lot of medicine lost. After all 4 seeds failed it was obvious i needed to do something different and luckily my friend was just about to flower his crop so it all worked out :high-five:
I will begin flowering tomorrow if my intake filter arrives today like it should. Ill post a couple more pics have of her in veg later today.

Thanks for checking out my grow, im just a patient and a hobbyist but I aim for the best results possible. Any advice you have will be great. :thanks:

Hello again everyone, here with a weekly update on my mystery seed.
I setup the scrog on 11/23 and she took to it well. There was an issue where i let the PH fluctuate a bit too much for a few days and it seemed to lock her out for a few days but now she's growing vigorously and my PH is staying stable. She drank about a liter of water in the last 12 hrs and is adding a node every couple of days so i think its time i flower her :cheer:
Im waiting on my intake filter to arrive before i make the swith, it should have been here yesterday but still hasnt arrived. says its still in transit :(
Anyway im looking into a T5 fixture or a cheap LED to try and get more even coverage for this grow. All my previous grows it was a constant struggle keeping the randomly placed cfl's in an effective position and not be burning leaves. (I somehow always burn some leaves). Im looking into the TOP led's and have looked through some journals but am having a hard time finding any with a really good gram/watt return. I know i can get .6 grams/watt with my current lights but if i can get more with a cheaper model LED im willing to give it a try. Any suggested journals to read would be excellent!!!

Anyway back to this,
Days in Veg: 40
Temp: 76
R/H: 43
Ph: 6.0
Rez temp: 70
Nutes: ionic grow&bloom 550ppm
Co2: none
Lights: 178 watts 6500k cfl

Here she is during the few days of lockout

yt.jpg

And here she is today

stpf.jpg
pfr.jpg

spf.jpg

Happy Growing Everyone :peace:

Looking good. You can go ahead and switch if you wanted. It will be 3 weeks before they start getting smellier than what she is now. My papayas never really changed smell even when in flower. Only at the end of flowering when my tent would head up causing the smell for them.

Have you thought about just getting a 400 or 600 watt HPS with a cooltube? They are a lot cheaper and you can get a whole package for around $150 for a 600. For what they produce and the wattage in light you get for the price you cant beat it. It would go good in your setup

Looking good. You can go ahead and switch if you wanted. It will be 3 weeks before they start getting smellier than what she is now. My papayas never really changed smell even when in flower. Only at the end of flowering when my tent would head up causing the smell for them.

Have you thought about just getting a 400 or 600 watt HPS with a cooltube? They are a lot cheaper and you can get a whole package for around $150 for a 600. For what they produce and the wattage in light you get for the price you cant beat it. It would go good in your setup

Don't suppose you have a link??

your girls looking massive and very well, I do believe that she should flower up a treat, with nitro with how bushy she is I don't think cfls will cut it for flower, a pain moving em about and getting enough penetration. So led or hps with the cfls included would really bump things up good.
Before I got my vipar leds and was still looking at hps, eBay has tonnes of different brands of them cheap and free postage.

Hey nitro good to hear from ya buddy, ive never ruled out the hid's. I have a 5' tent just in case i ever wanted to make the switch. Although ive never seen them that cheap. My major reasons for using cfl's or led was less heat and power consumption. I like philosophy of the led's (precise Par spectrum so no wasted energy) but im just not super convinced how well they work. I know that hps work very well but dont know if its worth the extra heat and power. I can get .6 grams/watt with cfl's so I dont think im wasting my time with them, im going to do a couple more grows with them or t5. Then ill try led and then probably hps. Then I can decide once and for all what I like best :thumb:
Thanks Sir Budlovski, I think she's beautiful too. I tell her every day :circle-of-love: I share your concerns about the cfl's so I will probably invest in a cheap t5 unit with H/O horticulture bulbs for more even light. And use cfl's just to get as many lumens as possible.
I wish I could say for sure that it will all work out great but we will all just have to wait and see. I switched from 24hrs of light to 18/6 last night to ease her into flowering. Ill go 12/12 sometime next week.
Happy growing friends :peace::Namaste:

DrewDrop, Im instant messaging you the link after i post this message. $122 and free shipping for the complete Cooltube kit.

My 600 watt HPS cooltube raises my temps 6 degrees where my CFL raised my temps from 8-15 degrees. My HPS runs a lot cooler than my CFL's. As far as energy cost i see no difference from my 600 watt than all the CFL's i was running. HPS is a lot better light than LED as far as yield goes. Penetration is also a lot better to lower bud sites. Like i said $122 for a 400 watt and around $160 for a 600 watt you cant beat the prices...

Im kinda confused on your post about the intake filter. How are you going to run it? If you install the fan and filter all its going to do is suck more air into the tent from your house. The filter is used to clean the air from inside your tent to the outside not the other way around like you are thinking. The only way to filter the air coming in is open up one of the intake holes and run ducting outside the tent and then connect your filter outside your tent and suck air in to your tent from the filter outside the tent.... if that makes sense. This however isnt going to filter the smell but you said it didnt really matter much anyway.

DrewDrop, Im instant messaging you the link after i post this message. $122 and free shipping for the complete Cooltube kit.

My 600 watt HPS cooltube raises my temps 6 degrees where my CFL raised my temps from 8-15 degrees. My HPS runs a lot cooler than my CFL's. As far as energy cost i see no difference from my 600 watt than all the CFL's i was running. HPS is a lot better light than LED as far as yield goes. Penetration is also a lot better to lower bud sites. Like i said $122 for a 400 watt and around $160 for a 600 watt you cant beat the prices...

Im kinda confused on your post about the intake filter. How are you going to run it? If you install the fan and filter all its going to do is suck more air into the tent from your house. The filter is used to clean the air from inside your tent to the outside not the other way around like you are thinking. The only way to filter the air coming in is open up one of the intake holes and run ducting outside the tent and then connect your filter outside your tent and suck air in to your tent from the filter outside the tent.... if that makes sense. This however isnt going to filter the smell but you said it didnt really matter much anyway.

Those are good prices. The extra power I was calculating for would be from running my exhaust fan constantly while the lights are on if i was using the hps. I currently dont use the exhaust fan at all, I just leave the tent partially open and im constantly opening the tent to look at her so that re circulates the air enough. Cfl's are 4" above canopy and canopy temp is 76-80.
Sorry if that post was confusing (ive been known to be high from time to time). What you suggested is what im doing. I have 4" intake ducting that pulls air in from the window beside the tent (when window is open) so ill just attach my 4" intake filter to that. Its a filter thats made to keep out dust and mold spores. (Generic HEPA filter.) :peace::Namaste:

Alright everbody here with the last update before i switch to flower. Ive got the ppm hovering around 650-700. Everything else is the same a usual. My intake filter finally arrived.....not at my house but luckily at a persons house who was honest enough to call me and let me come get it from them.

Heres the Lovely lady today
1214s.jpg

1214t.jpg

I made a screen last night with 1" oak rounds and 18guage wire. Screen is roughly 2.5'x1.5' Ill add gthe second screen as soon as the flowering stretch is over.

dscr.jpg

Miss Masey supervising.
scr.jpg

Thats it for this update guys. Il post another as soon as i start to see signs of buds. HOW EXCITING :yahoo:

Back
Top Bottom