AKGramma's Harlequin Soil Grow Fall 2018

Thanks about the tip: pollinated flower pistils turn brown and shrivel up, as they are no longer needed. I forgot about that. My mind is fuzzy and distracted lately because of the stress. With MY luck, that conditon will continue to senility.....The body and mind have been going downhill rapidly since I turned 60. Well, I'm 71 now, and I consider it a good day if I get one task done on my to-do list. :-|

Since the grow is only 3 weeks into what is supposed to be an 8 week maturation phase, I'll give them one more soak with nutes, then plain water to the end. I probably don't even need nutes, as I pre-treated the soil before I transplanted the babies.

I always get at least 100 seeds, so I only have to breed a strain once. It's been a while since I grew for buds and trim. So next time......

RE: Earthquake

My model of mobile home doesn't have wheels. It's a more recent model (1995). They transport them via truck and flat-bed trailer, and set them on concrete block pillars. But we still bounce around as if we WERE on wheels! Like you, we can feel heavy equipment passing by, or working on the highway.

After doing research into the seismic activity of the different neighborhoods here, (soil movement and liquefaction during quakes) I found out that where I live is in the moderate activity range. In my Park, we lucked out damage-wise.

Farther North, there are real houses that sink further into the ground with every aftershock. Several very expensive homes have already fallen apart, and/or are unlivable. Hardly a business didn't suffer damage and loss of product. And two, maybe 3, schools had to be closed for the rest of the school year for major structural repairs. There are pics online if you care to Google it. The aftershocks only worsen already-damaged roads and property.

And yet, the damage is far less than the 1964 9.0 quake, in the days before building codes were developed to withstand quakes. The city split along 4th avenue and dropped 100 feet. To this day, that area is a railroad yard. You can Google the 1964 Alaskan Earthquake for pictures. And there is an area to the West (fancy homes overlooking the inlet) that is now called Earthquake Park. This area also dropped almost into the sea, I don't remember the statistics. Some idiot developer built homes in that area since. I guess there are people who get their jollies living on a subduction fault line. > rolls eyes <

Anyway, enough personal stuff. This is supposed to be about cannabis. I haven't checked in on the grow in a couple days, so I need to make time to do so today.

I have harvested the Harlequin pollen and retired the males.

Pollen Harvest. TIP: it is easier for me to cut the flowers and dry them with the pollen, than to try and separate spent male flowers from the pollen. There is a LOT of pollen underneath the pile of male flowers. I left this picture full size so you can click on it to get a close view of the harvest. I used two methods to collect the pollen: the tray method and the open baggie method.

Next are two pics of Miss Harley's buds. Those with no pistils were successfully pollinated. Those with pistils have not been pollinated, but there might be a few calyxes that did get a dose. I don't expect ANY sensimilla from this grow, however.

The male Harleys have been harvested, and the bins flushed with nutes, waiting for the next grow.

Miss Afghani in flower, probably got some pollen, but the flowers still have pistils.

And for the finale: left and right shots of the two remaining Ladies.

I will clean up the pollen harvest: remove as many stems as possible, shake off as much pollen from the spikes as I can, then dry the rest and jar it for future use.

The two ladies will now be allowed to live out their lives. I'll do a gradual harvest, removing buds that are ready (if any), and leaving the seeded buds to dry on the plants till they are almost falling off the stems.

:popcorn:

:thumb: well done gramma, thanks for the tip. I am collecting pollen shortly, A reversal on a Carnival and a Nice Devil just showed sacs. First attempt at saving pollen was a bust.:Namaste:

:thumb: well done gramma, thanks for the tip. I am collecting pollen shortly, A reversal on a Carnival and a Nice Devil just showed sacs. First attempt at saving pollen was a bust.:Namaste:

The open tray method worked a LOT better than the plastic baggie method, as condensation always forms in a plastic bag, even if there are holes. I got enough dry pollen in the tray to pollinate an acre of cannabis! You WILL, of course, have pollen escape, just from air currents. Males love to spread their wild oats! :laugh:

Have a single-edged razor blade handy to scrape up spills, as it WILL spill.

:cheer: I accidentally found an ideal way to separate the pollen from the spent pods: poke a hole in one corner of the paper tray and gently tap the tray to let the pollen sift out into your storage jar. It takes a steady hand to carefully shove the spent flowers back, then tap the tray to move the pollen down to the hole. Eventually, I was able to manually pick out all the spent flowers and pods, then use the razor blade to move the pollen to the hole. I suppose you could use a miniature strainer to do the same thing, but using the tray meant I only had to transfer the pollen once, instead of twice.

I'm leaving my storage jar open a few days to let any tiny bits of green that sifted through dry out. Then I'll drop a few grains of uncooked rice into the container, seal, and store in the fridge.

It feels good to have that phase of the breeding project done!

NOTE: VI and other better equipped breeders have a small frameless mirror or square of glass to let the pollen drop onto, then use the razor blade to gather it up.

Is that left open to let the green bits dry out?:Namaste:

The container, yes. IMO, it is always wise to dry or freeze your harvest for long-term storage. I keep all my seeds in 1" dia beading containers and then in the bottom back of the refrigerator to slow deterioration. Pollen, like seeds, can last for years if stored in a dark, dry atmosphere.

The following pics are from previous harvests. One learns new tricks with experience. ;)

I have also tried this method, which works IF you can keep the cat away from it.

I don't remember how many days ago I applied pollen to the mini buds, but I saw some developing calyxes deep inside and on the lower parts of the mini buds. Just for good measure, I reapplied more pollen to the mini buds with a very small craft brush. I want LOTS of seeds!

Also saw trics forming on Lady Harley. This might be a quick harvest. Most of her pistils are stubby and white, compared to the Afghani, but it's a bit early for her pistils to go amber and disappear. The tips are bent over, however. So the mating was a success!

Miss Afghani isn't showing any fertilized pods yet and her flowers are full-out thick with long pistils. No sign of trics. Her flower period is stated to be about the same time as the Harley, but I don't expect many seeds in the Afghani.

I'm guessing the Harley harvest will come first, since producing seeds is her first priority. She probably won't grow much more. But the Afghani looks like she might.

:popcorn:

The container, yes. IMO, it is always wise to dry or freeze your harvest for long-term storage. I keep all my seeds in 1" dia beading containers and then in the bottom back of the refrigerator to slow deterioration. Pollen, like seeds, can last for years if stored in a dark, dry atmosphere.

The following pics are from previous harvests. One learns new tricks with experience. ;)

/QUOTE]

As of today, I have 20 of these little containers filled with seeds, and 5 4-oz GLAD containers partly filled with pollen and spent pods. Because I want to save my last 4 beading containers for the Harly seeds, I combined the unknown Sativa pollen into a GLAD container.

You can buy a set of 24 beading containers at a craft shop, like Michael's. They come in their own plastic tray, so everything stays organized. One of the handiest purchases I have made.

I'll have to look for the beading containers.

They should be in the aisle with all the other storage containers in Michael's, Joanne's Fabrics, or another craft store. Flat 6" x 9" (approx) tray with 24 1" containers.

My half-burnt out MARS 300 went totally dark, so I replaced it with a spare I had. At one time I had 3 grow areas, so stored the one extra when I downsized. I haven't had a chance to open the burnt-out unit yet, to see if it can be repaired. However, these units are so inexpensive, being older models, it might be easier to just order a new one, if I ever expand the grow again.

Just a reminder, that I lost the unit because of the 7.0 quake we had on Nov 30. It got banged around pretty hard. It was not the result of a manufacturing defect.

OPened and cleaned out all the dust and detritus from the non-working MARS 300 unit. NASTY!!!! maybe I should clena ou tthe other tow.

The dark unit didn't have any broken wires or connections that I could see, and the lights connected to the A transformer were all dead, but some of the LEDs connected to the B transformer were lit, but only dimly, and some flickered. Plus the fan worked, and it was attached to B, as well. However, if I really need a third unit, it's much less trouble and $ to purchase a new one. It's in the garbage now. I kept the cord, as I think it can be used on other devices. (how many unused cords do we have in a box in a corner?)

The pistils on the Harley buds are almost gone, all shrunken down so the buds look like cotton balls. They haven't turned amber yet, so there is still life in them. Buds are quite hard, so SOMETHING is growing in the calyxes. (seeds).

Halfway through the flower period till harvest. :popcorn:

Just took another look at Harley Lady. The calyxes on the mini buds have already split, with seeds almost ready to fall out.

They seem rather small to me, and aren't brown. However, I know from experience that once they air-dry, the ripe seeds will turn brown. I'll probably tease a few of them out with a skewer and see how they do. If they look good after drying, then I can expect a continual harvest from bottom to top in the next couple weeks! :cheer:

I can't seem to get clear close-in shots with my digital camera, even using the portrait setting (flower icon), so no pics to show you what they look like.

10 min later:

Nope! No go. Too early. The seeds are still firmly attached to the calyxes. So they're not ready to be harvested yet. I'll check them every couple days.

If the calyx splits is a pretty good sign they're ripe.

Since this is the only chance I have of making Harley seeds. I'm not going to harvest them till they DO fall off the flower with just a tap of the skewer. I think they will get fatter if I leave them till the end.

Back
Top Bottom