AKGramma's Perpetual Grow

Time for a couple of special pics! Lady ATF just won't quit! She was switched 66 days ago, just for breeding, but lately she has sprouted more pistils, long after the first batch was pollinated and turned brown.

One branch showing both Seeds and new pistils.

And a closeup:

Now I'm REALLY confused! After I harvest the seeds, can I expect her to live long enough to give me a crop of buds, too?
:popcorn:

When I looked in at Lady ATF, I saw that her stems were drying up, so I harvested the rest of her seeds and what was left of her leaves. It took me 5 hours to separate the seeds out, and I probably didn't get all of them. Lots of lovely stickiness, but about the only things it's good for is to press into nugs or grind up into herbs for cooking.

I don't do derivatives because they require volatile liquids, and that's not my style.

I finished the ATF out in a 5 gallon pot, but it was unnecessary. The roots had the same volume as one grown in 3 gallons. Plus trying to lift a wet 5 gallon bucket is not something I'm going to be able to do anymore. I'll go back to the 3 gallon bins.

I'm not sure I can fit all the ATF seeds in a 1" dia x 1/2" tall beading container. Guessing close to 500 nice, brown spotted seeds. :yahoo:

So.... time for a short break to decide what I want to grow out next. I do have a very few Fems and autos that I should use up before they get too old, and perhaps mate them with an ancestor to build up the supply.

All in all, the last two breeding grows were a success. I learned a lot, what not to do, and what to do.

I don't do derivatives because they require volatile liquids, and that's not my style.

It's not a requirement. It's just a choice, and a relatively recent one (<100 years).

Some people use a hair straightener (often, standing on it) and a piece of parchment paper. There are fancy(?) devices being sold for the purpose. Someone posted that they use a big jug with some marbles in it and a fine screen material covering the opening and just shake the thing vigorously over a collection pan / mirror / etc., after everything has spent some time in the freezer.

A lot of people perform their harvest duties whilst wearing rubber gloves, then throw them into the freezer and peel the "sticky" off afterwards. I suppose a person could "play with" a big pile of material for an extended period of time and then dispose of the pile. They'd likely miss a good bit, but they'd end up with more than they would if they just put the pile in the trash can to begin with.

Hey, TS: Thinking about closing out this grow and just starting new when I'm ready. Problem is, I won't have a home base to talk to my buddies on 420. I think I'm going to have to wander a while like you do.

You don't have any links to your closed journals. So when Teddy moves this to completed Journals, how will I know what to put in my siggy to point to this journal?

Any ideas?

Your signature will stay the same AK. For my two old ones I edited and put the word ‘completed’ at the end.
As for the concentrates you can easily make bubble/water hash if you have some ice, water, bud, and a jar. I mentioned it in my second journal here-The Hexapus's Garden

Sorry I haven’t been around much. Busy and barely even keeping up with my own spot these days. :passitleft:

If you’re looking for different genetics I’ll be updating my seed bank after my move. Of course a woman with about 500 ATF seeds may not need more. Lol! Well done girl! :high-five:

It feels strange to not have a journal. Amy has a grower’s lounge that may be an alternative. There’s a nice group that gathers there and it might give you a sense of “home base” until you get started again.

When I switched the garden to perlite the weight of the soil was my prime consideration. It’s amazing how little a full-grown plant weighs in a gallon of perlite. The Rubbermaid pitchers I use have a handle and everything and are a perfect size for a plant that can give 2-3 oz dry.

I love soil. I love gardening cannabis. Soil was going to be a continuous frustration for me up here on the third floor and won’t be anymore acceptable in the swamplands of NOLA. Any reason why you’re not working in perlite?

I think I'm going to have to wander a while like you do.

I hope that works much better for you than it does for me. There was a time when I at least skimmed the majority of threads posted here. Then things really got busy, and I started reading for my interest and doing less of the "trying to look at every thread to see if I could help." Then it ended up with me reading/posting in subscribed threads and occasionally adding a new one to the list.

And then... I still found myself trying hard to at least keep up with Sue's threads, lol. I consider her to be a good friend, have actually met the woman face-to-face, there's always something interesting going on in her threads and... And when I've been out "in the real world" and am having trouble seeing the good aspects of Homo sapiens, I know that I can read in one of her threads and find some.

And that's where I'm at right now :rolleyes: . I've managed to (more or less) keep up with one of her threads. I'm woefully behind on several others. I'm current in yours, but I've had to "binge-read" a couple of times to even manage that. Instead of viewing every sub-forum on a daily basis and picking threads in which I think there's a chance that my finite knowledge would be helpful, I'm only hitting the "unanswered threads" link daily (sometimes a few times per day, sometimes once per few days) to at least see if I can assist someone that's otherwise been ignored.

I don't know... It feels a bit like hypocrisy to state that I'm getting old when I'm talking to someone that has a number of years on me - but that's what it feels like. I'm getting old, cannabis is getting old, growing it got old, talking about it is getting old, life is getting old <SIGH> .

So I can't keep up any more. It's times like this that I'm glad I'm not married, because I doubt I'd end up saying all that much to the lady on a daily basis - and I wouldn't wish that kind of relationship on anyone.

Problem is, I won't have a home base to talk to my buddies on 420.

You can always do what HashGirl did and create a thread in the Miscellaneous Off-Topic sub-forum. It appears to be a "place" that allows her to post/share her thoughts, and where others can respond to them / interact with her.

when Teddy moves this to completed Journals, how will I know what to put in my siggy to point to this journal?

Weaselcracker covered that one, but I'll add that, if you ever require assistance with putting what you wish to have in your .SIG, just post about it and someone will be happy to help. Since the forum change, the CODE tag has been enabled here, so we can post the exact thing that you'd need to copy and paste into your .SIG edit/save box in your user settings. Because the forum software won't try to parse or otherwise act upon things in a code box
Code:
https:www//even/if/it/happens/to/be/a/link.com
;)

If you’re looking for different genetics I’ll be updating my seed bank after my move. Of course a woman with about 500 ATF seeds may not need more. Lol! Well done girl! :high-five:

It feels strange to not have a journal. Amy has a grower’s lounge that may be an alternative. There’s a nice group that gathers there and it might give you a sense of “home base” until you get started again.

When I switched the garden to perlite the weight of the soil was my prime consideration. It’s amazing how little a full-grown plant weighs in a gallon of perlite. The Rubbermaid pitchers I use have a handle and everything and are a perfect size for a plant that can give 2-3 oz dry.

I love soil. I love gardening cannabis. Soil was going to be a continuous frustration for me up here on the third floor and won’t be anymore acceptable in the swamplands of NOLA. Any reason why you’re not working in perlite?

50% of my soil is perlite, Sue. I got 30% smaller plants in hempy+ 100% perlite, and I couldn't wrap my mind around the feeding schedule and formulae for the nutes. I tried, I really did, if you remember. I'm much more comfortable with my "lite" soil. I still have 25 gallons sitting in a large Rubbermaid bin.

Still, 3 gallons wet is about all this 70 year old body can lift.

I think I have all the genetics I need, thanks to you! Some I had little luck with and got small plants and small yields. My current stock of seeds is:

AK 47 x DP - abt 250
AKDC 47 (AK47 x Dp x White castle - abt 250
AKDC47 x ATF - abt 750
ATF - close to 1000 (the most hardy and prolific of all my strains)
Afghani - abt 500
Various mystery Sativa crosses - abt 400
Bubblelicious - abt 200 rather pale seeds
AK 48 x mystery Sativa - abt 250
Polar Express x mystery sativa - abt 20 (will not breed these, just grow them out someday)
*AutoBerry Fem - 8 (destined for a cross with Afghani)
Harlequin reg - 5 (will pray for a breeding pair)
*Jock Horror Auto Fem - 2 (will cross with either Afghani or ATF)

Note that I really stretched the AK47 x DP stock. The accidental crossing with White castle added thick, sturdy stems!

I also have pollen from ATF, Afghani, and AK 47 x DP.
* = storebought

All this is stored in the refrigerator (never frozen) in small round beading jars.

Anyway, as soon as I figure out what I want to do next, I'll start a new Journal, because I cannot keep up a perpetual garden anymore. It will be a series of breeding (for seeds to share) and small grows of one strain at a time.

:reading420magazine: :nomo:

Not sure the Afghani is going to reveg, but one of her seeds sprouted in the bin. So that is an interesting event. I'll have to put the bin under the lights soon, whether I want to or not.

Lady Afghani died. I guess she used up all her reserves on making seeds. :-( The Afhani sprout is under a pair of 23W CFL's in the grow unit. Was not quite ready to grow anything yet.......:rolleyes:

about 500.
Nice AK ! 500 Seeds is more than some hey :)

You certainly competed your mission of making tons of seeds for yourself going forward - in style :slide:

Have fun cruising the forum between journals ... I did that for a while between indoor-outdoor growing and it was a nice rest, enjoying my harvest and just relaxing watching what everyone else was doing. Was fun :D

See you about the virtual halls perhaps.

:Namaste:

After cruising through the end of Sue's last few harvests before she makes the big move, I'm inspired to grow out the 5 Harlequin Regulars she gifted me.

Hoping to get a male so I can seed one lady, and grow the others for buds n leaves.

:yummy:

Back
Top Bottom