Akisunni Outdoor NorCal Winter/Spring 2015 Grow

akisunni

What strain is it? Stinky Pinky
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Indica dominate
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Just starting Out Door Flowers for twins, others farther along.
If in Veg... For how long? Mother has been harvested and is just living outdoors currently
If in Flower stage... For how long? Twins are 2 weeks, Jerry is a month or so now.
Indoor or outdoor? Outdoors
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? Unknown "expensive organic per source 2+ years ago" in 32 gal containers, garden bed otherwise.
If soil... What size pot? 32 gallon and giant raised bed in other case.
Size of light? Sol Powered
Is it aircooled? Ya, Gaia Powered

Type and strength of ferts used? Alaska 5-1-1 & 0-10-10 fish based products. Some MG generic 14-4-8 type stuff.

Hi Guys, This is my second grow journal. My first is winding up now with the last of my original plants harvested today.

This new journal is to document the out door adventures the clones I generated from the original Stinky Pinky plant I grew in the indoor grow. This plant, otherwise known as Big Girl, is still alive after two harvests and a month outdoors in January weather in Nor Cal. She has frosty popcorn budlets still left on her. She will have those harvested soon, and possibly moved back indoors for a month of 24/0 to reveg her.

I decided to move her clones, which were growing indoors, to their new outdoor home as our weather starts to warm up and climb weekly from here to daily triple digits by June or so.

We have 1 Stinky Pinky Mother plant who has been harvested and is in veg mode now. She still has an oz or two of budlets on her. We have 2 of her healthy clones. They are each planted in their own 32 Gallon grow space in soil that was left behind by the last occupant of this house. Finally, a 4th Stinky Pinky, the third clone is under a grow dome with a Male Bag Seed (top shelf label), The goal with them is to generate a supply of healthy seeds to grow this fall if possible for next spring harvest.

The Twin Clones in their 32 gallon grow spaces.

IMG_31197.JPG
IMG_31209.JPG
IMG_31219.JPG
IMG_312210.JPG
IMG_312310.JPG
IMG_31246.JPG
IMG_31257.JPG
IMG_31266.JPG
IMG_31276.JPG
IMG_31287.JPG

Jerry and Mr Baggy the Seed Project

IMG_31388.JPG

IMG_31295.JPG
IMG_31308.JPG
IMG_31316.JPG
IMG_31337.JPG
IMG_31347.JPG
IMG_313512.JPG

Popcorn buds on Mother Plant

I am pondering moving her back indoors for some 24/0 time in a 300 watt CO2 enhanced small enclosed space. However, I need to fog my garage space so she survives outdoors for now.

IMG_31396.JPG
IMG_31406.JPG
IMG_31418.JPG
IMG_31429.JPG
IMG_31436.JPG

If you have made it this far, thanks for dropping in and giving it a read.

Hey aki.

Sweet little setup. So wish I was there growing in the outdoors with you. Im really interested to see how things go with the seed project. Been watching a lot of tube of subcool and vaderog doing there micro pollinating vids. Cool stuff. Can wait to see how urs turn out. Subbed up.

Hey aki.

Sweet little setup. So wish I was there growing in the outdoors with you. Im really interested to see how things go with the seed project. Been watching a lot of tube of subcool and vaderog doing there micro pollinating vids. Cool stuff. Can wait to see how urs turn out. Subbed up.

Thanks Hooch,

I am going to be adding a couple of different strains to the outdoor grow in February, but first I have to get them from the local dispensary, and give them some indoor veg time. I want to add a mauiwowwie and a Blue Dream at a minimum.

Cronichemphog, welcome, and thank you for subbing up.

Not much changes this quick obviously... The latest noticeable ones are the purple shades in the pollen sacks and in the bud area of the two plants in the love shack area. I am thinking Mr Baggy will be in his prime soon.

IMG_31624.JPG
IMG_31614.JPG
IMG_31609.JPG
IMG_31588.JPG
IMG_31579.JPG
IMG_31567.JPG

The Twins are doing great. The plants are hitting temps in the 80's in their micro climates with lows in the 40's. The local weather has finally started to exit the cold fog stage. We are high 60's and blue sky's again.

IMG_31685.JPG
IMG_31676.JPG
IMG_31662.JPG
IMG_31696.JPG
IMG_31632.JPG
IMG_31645.JPG
IMG_31657.JPG

I have moved big girl since these pictures to be closer to the twins. I was debating returning her to CFL land, but have decided to see how she likes life in spring time. Her popcorn buds are starting to show signs of fresh growth. I have given her a mix of fertilizers. Specifically 0-10-10 and 12-4-8 in a bucket of extremely warm water. They seem to prefer it over cold water feedings.

IMG_31727.JPG
IMG_31715.JPG

Hey mate. Looking good. Just so i'm on the same page.. are you just going to pollinate the one girl next to the male. If so is the plastic tub the barrier to pollen getting anywhere else in the garden? Just leave them till you think shes had enough of him then cut him down and watch the magic? Anyway excited for results.

PS. I accidently pollinated a Critical Kush feminized female with an unknown bag seed that hermed early... pretty sure down to user error. I had light leaks. Not sure if these are worth popping? To many headaches with herm traits?

Hey mate. Looking good. Just so i'm on the same page.. are you just going to pollinate the one girl next to the male. If so is the plastic tub the barrier to pollen getting anywhere else in the garden? Just leave them till you think shes had enough of him then cut him down and watch the magic? Anyway excited for results.

PS. I accidently pollinated a Critical Kush feminized female with an unknown bag seed that hermed early... pretty sure down to user error. I had light leaks. Not sure if these are worth popping? To many headaches with herm traits?

Hey Mon,

I normally have them like this.

IMG_31388.JPG

I expect I will "harvest him" in the coming days. I will try to capture some of his pollin in storage, and save it for later adventures. Once he is gone (sealed garbage sack in the trash can) I will still keep her under the grow dome for a while. Her total reason to exist is to just generate a supply of fresh beans to have handy.

I will grow them, and give them away to friends, if they have a good plant cycle. Oddly I have some friends who are afraid of buying through the mail, but wouldn't blink if I gave them some to grow.

Yes, in context. Will try to keep her contained, even after he is gone, so she doesn't share any with the Twins when they reach this stage...

I wouldn't stress out about herm seeds, until you know that the strain runs hermy from your seeds. I would pop those beans, and find out what mother nature has intended for them.

Aki

Ps waiting on this to dry and start curing so I can start enjoying...

IMG_31177.JPG
IMG_31147.JPG
IMG_31079.JPG

Looks like some interesting stuff going on here. Count me in!

Welcome aboard. You will see all kinds of weird technology developments tested during this grow. I have a work bench full of semi finished grow tech toys. My garden is my living lab.

One idea is a solar powered hot water heater design for warming plant roots in winter with out exposing the roots to the warm water. It uses a heat exchange process. Keeps the plants warm in winter when its only 30ish outside or so. The design allows for 100% solar automation, so free heating if you will.

Subbed! Thanks for the invite aki. Now let me go back and read the page.

OK - all caught up. Your inner mad scientist is always such a delight to watch aki. :laughtwo: That heating system sounds intriguing. What can you do to protect leaves in those temps? You're going to figure out how to grow outdoors all year long aren't you? Marvelous.

I hope you get the Mauiwowwie added. I've never tried it myself, but word on the street is always "best high I ever had".

Love the use of 32 gallon trash cans for the plants. Deeper root zones always reward you with monster plants. Is there any way to make your life easier by setting up a wicking system so they can water themselves? A number of different things went through my mind as I was looking at them. Outdoors it's as easy as having a drain hole in the reservoir basin 1" below the level of the bottom of the pot. You know my love of self-watering systems. :green_heart:

I envy your ability to grow outdoors aki. May the grow go well for you.

:Namaste:

Sue,

Thank you for joining me. I just walked in the door from visiting my local dispensary for the first time in 6 weeks. I spent more on new strains, then new flavors to test. lol.

New Strains in the House

The following strains will be grown in organic soil in my indoor grow space in the garage for the next month to push their veg state farther along. These clones are 8-12 inches tall and only cost $10 each. I am planning on taking new clones from each of these plants, and then putting the original mothers out to pasture (back yard) around March 1st.

1 x Blue Dream If this plant shows great growth characteristics, I will be keeping in veg state longer, as I use it to be the Mother plant that kick starts this Summers grow.

I haven't tried these before, and the price was right.

1 X Mendu Purple

1 X Skywalker

If Big Girl is healthy by March, I am hoping to graft a couple of these new flavors on to her, so one plant can act as a master mother plant for multi strains. At that stage, I will move her inside my office with her own lighting. A slow grow, go no where, but always with a few spare plants ready to be cut and grown as clone available.

I will be posting picks of these new girls, in the old grow space if its still active. If not, here in a few after repotting.

OK - all caught up. Your inner mad scientist is always such a delight to watch aki. :laughtwo: That heating system sounds intriguing. What can you do to protect leaves in those temps? You're going to figure out how to grow outdoors all year long aren't you? Marvelous.

I hope you get the Mauiwowwie added. I've never tried it myself, but word on the street is always "best high I ever had".

Love the use of 32 gallon trash cans for the plants. Deeper root zones always reward you with monster plants. Is there any way to make your life easier by setting up a wicking system so they can water themselves? A number of different things went through my mind as I was looking at them. Outdoors it's as easy as having a drain hole in the reservoir basin 1" below the level of the bottom of the pot. You know my love of self-watering systems. :green_heart:

I envy your ability to grow outdoors aki. May the grow go well for you.

:Namaste:

SweetSue,

I went and purchased red worms and nightcrawlers and placed some in each of the outdoor grows, plus I put organic soil in a container to start cooking, and adding worms to it. Also, to make you happy :) :Namaste: I am watering my new plants with fish emulsions with 5-1-1 for now. So hopefully between organic soil, worms and fish poo we should be at least laying the ground work of going semi organic...

Sounds like a solid foundation aki. :green_heart:

Sounds like a solid foundation aki. :green_heart:

And yes on the point about growing year around. I was sitting here, the last few days and nights until 4 am as my subconscious kicked off a whole new adventure. I haven't talked about it in details yet. I am going to be building a solar powered both electricity to run, but solar water heater. I have two designs I want to test. One of them will use a closed loop Hot water circuit that a small electric motor pushes the fluids in once the hot zone has done its work. The idea is a heat exchanger with the growing soil directly, where only the roots know what temp it really is.

The control for this test design is an identical one, but an open circuit that preheats all water before its pushed to each plant and waters them directly. The second design requires nothing more to be done if the growing medium is your magic living soil. The closed end design will require a watering circuit.

The next part is a solar powered LED spot light over the plant. This would throw enough light in the early evening to keep the plant in veg state. So while it might not get a lot of sunlight each day, it would think each day was a lot longer and stay in veg state. This allows outdoor winter vegging (if I can pull it off next winter, along with the heated pots, also I am putting small domes on my plants which give 10-15 degree heat bump in winter currently)

Also, for my current twins... They are being put on an auto water system. Their containers have holes every 4 inches vertically, and every 6 inches horizontally. So if to much water is put in, it just auto drains out and down the sides. I have valves on the water heads to allow controlling how much they get in their 10 min allotment each morning.

Aki, the heated soil combined with the domes makes a lot of sense. You may have to plan for some air circulation to avoid a stagnate, humid and warm climate build up. Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into the project, I can't wait to see where it goes!

Back
Top Bottom