AKrook's Soil 4-Strain See What Sticks, 2020

AKrook

420 Member
I have 7 recently purchased clones (yay AK):
  • 1 GG#4 x Do-si-do cross (that is really taking off)
  • 1 Sled Dawg ("Chemdawg V2")
  • 2 Northern Lights
  • 3 Donny Burger #3
First photo was Sunday when I first got the DB#3 home; second photo is today: top left GGxD, bottom left Sled Dawg (the leaves seem tiny to me), then the two NL, and the three on the right are the DB.

Plan: The game plan right now is to veg everything for another month and change, in which time I will top and clone the two singletons. Then once the clones are into their own veg, throw the two little gals in with a month old(er) Northern Lights and Donny Burger, and try flowering the whole 2-tiered mess at once.

Space: I have an old 5x5 tent from a friend, but right after I got it set up, another friend needed a place to stay, so now he's occupying the spare room. So now I have a 3x3 coming tomorrow that fits perfectly in the corner of my bedroom that can eventually be an auxiliary. If I get my grow room back before too long, I'd probably try to flower another of the big Donny Burgers with everything else, otherwise I'll just do one of each in the 3x3.

Lights: After some armchair research I decided to try a couple of lights from Parfactworks, have the 500W COB, and the RA1000 and RA2000. If I stick with the 3x3 I thought this ought to be plenty, but if I go to the 5x5 I'd be in the market for some more watts. (The COB has two channels, and right now I've got the girls vegging under the 90W-actual draw yellow channel at about 30" from plants, I blasted them with the RA2000 at 28" for a few hours yesterday and thought the DB new growth looked like maybe it was getting stressed from too much light, the COB at half power and pretty high seems like less light than optimal, but they seem to be bushing out plenty...)

Soil/Nutrients:
HP CC Pro-Mix
Piranha (at manufacturers rec. for clones and about 1 ml/L since)
PH Perfect Sensei Grow A + B (gave them 2ml/L after 4-5 days, think I was both overwatering and maybe too many nutes too soon, so have been at 1ml/L since)
Watering every other day

Milestones:
I transplanted initially into 7 gallon pots, decided that was just silly and repotted to 1 gallon (the DB showed up after that mistake, so they went straight to 1 gallon)

I FIM'ed the GG4xD and one of the N. Lights a couple days ago, because I'd never tried that before and I wanted to give the branches a leg up, they didn't seem to mind much.

Yesterday I started some LST to spread a couple of them out a bit, they seem to be branching from every available site at the moment, so just trying to get some light in there.

Not so much a milestone, but I have been trimming fan leaves with moderate aggression. Sometimes I'll take part, other times the whole thing, but it is mostly when they are blocking something I think needs it more.

Conclusion (of the introduction):
Aside from a little babysitting and a single harvest from a bubble bucket several years ago, I'm new. But at least I know I'm ignorant. Any suggestions for changing something I'm doing or starting something I haven't considered would be much appreciated! I figure this is a good exercise both for getting custom advice if I run into anything I can't figure out browsing other threads, and for being able to track/compare/store lessons learned over the next few months for future reference.

Tent came a day early, got them moved in Friday night. Forgot to get a picture Saturday, but here are FridayPMSunday and Monday.

Pretty happy with things, the Sled/chem dawg (bottom left) new growth doesn’t seem so crazy dark and like it’s maybe moving a bit quicker.

The Donny Burger (3 on right) I thought maybe were getting stressed, but maybe it’s just the old clone leaves getting ditched? They seem to be doing better past couple of days as well; the one I started tying a bit already has 4 separate tips in the top vertical inch or so.

Northern lights (middle two) and gg4xdosi (top left) all still seem happy as clams.

Tried cutting 2 clones today, took a couple real low branches off the Northern Lights I FIM’d, stuck them in my little spray cloner. It’s just got water with a little clear res in it.

Thinking that maybe when I thought I’d overwatered, the plants may also have been reacting to the fact that I keep trying to give them more light any time they look too cheerful .

Anyways, coming up on 3 weeks since I picked up the first four, pleased they haven’t totally croaked yet. Been having too much fun reading about different things to do to them, probably ought to leave them alone more.

Here are yesterday and today, along with a bonus of my attempt at babies:

More than three weeks since I picked up the first four, still haven’t killed them dead :p

Training is going well, took a clone off the GxD last night; other three I took Friday are still all happy looking.

Training is going well, took a clone off the GxD last night; other three I took Friday are still all happy looking.

My big news from this weekend is that I decided to build a drip hydro setup for my 5x5 tent, and maybe a NFT system for my clone closet so I can keep the hydro tent in flower full time; this quarantine has left me with way too much time for trouble, and I’ve got a couple piles of used stuff to scavenge out of that makes those systems appealing.

I’ll start a separate thread for that when I’m a bit closer.

Moved into the 5x5; thinking of flipping to flower, too soon? too late? just right?

i would like to take one strong batch of clones off these, but sounds like maybe 2 weeks into flower I can prune and use that for clones?

You can see in the front right plant (Chem dawg) I had (I think) some heat stress; exhaust fan was turned down too low and it got up to the high 80s for a day. Think it’s sorted now.

And while I’m asking questions, what causes this, another reaction to heat? Too much water, too much light?
30247EA5-2E9B-43AD-96E6-A2AEA1EFDB5C.jpeg

Tonight will be the 6th 12 hour dark schedule. I’ll post some close up of the tips at one week.

The girls started drinking more, larger feedings ~1/2-3/4 gallon ~every other day up from ~quart every ~third day not long ago, get the feeling they’ll just keep getting thirstier, took a minute but the roots are getting well into the 7 gallon pots 4 are in (the 5 gals clearly drying out faster, but not enough to really change cycles, just end up adding a similar amount till they feel right. Kinda glad for the opportunity to test the 5gal head to head with the 7 (the two on the top right, single bottom left all the Donny Burger) and will be interested to see how they develop, been similar so far, but I bet the seven gal pot gives that girl legs over the other two down the stretch)

Pics from last night, one week into flower.
Tent status

Lights (added a mostly working platinum 480w I got off craigslist)

Donny burger buds

gorilla glue/do si do buds

sled (chem) dawg

northern lights

2 weeks in flower, gave the girls a 4x8 as a present, spent all day getting the tents swapped and re training.

Something seems up with two of the plants. It got hot (up to 95 before I dropped it) in the tent one day (ducting came loose from fan) and they haven’t looked the same since. That said, the other four (including one of this strain) look somewhat to lots better.

Looking at the lower leaves, I thought perhaps a nitrogen deficiency? Saw early bud maturation on the symptoms list, and it looks like that’s what is happening on all but the apex buds...

I’ve been using Sensei A&B ph perfect, and haven’t tested for ph or ppm once yet, so not operating on as much info as I could be.

Forgot to mention last time I’ve also been using rhinoSkin since flipping, AN big bud @ half strength second week of flower then worked up to full strength yesterday, finally I also added a couple tablespoons of molasses to yesterday’s feeding, and the girls seem stoked.

Oh, and the tent smelled funny this morning, maybe was couple of them drying out, but my instinct was it was the Donny burger that yellowed a bunch of leaves real quick.
3BEB1964-A838-484E-99D7-738631457DFD.jpeg

Was looking pretty perky (by this afternoon) aside from some still aggressive claw-ing near the lesser bud sites

Back
Top Bottom