AL: GOP Senate Candidate Dom Gentile Supports Medical Marijuana

Ron Strider

U.S. Senate candidate Dom Gentile came out in support of medical marijuana on Wednesday, making him the only Republican candidate in the special election so far to back the issue.

"I have recently met with dozens of people who are stricken with medical conditions such as epilepsy, seizures, severe autism, Alzheimer's and MS. Many of them have symptoms that can be relieved by cannabis that is specifically formulated for medical use. As I listened to the passionate pleas of these patients and their families, and understood how this can help them, I became a believer that something needed to be done at the federal level," Gentile said in a statement. "Medical cannabis is listed as a Schedule 1 controlled substance under the Controlled Substances Act of 1970. It is in the same class as heroin and LSD, and that is absurd. I am calling for the FDA and the DEA to immediately re-classify cannabis for medical use and allow the states to decide how to dispense the drug."

Gentile, a businessman from Hoover, said his stance does not mean he supports the use of recreational marijuana. "I am strictly opposed to this," he said.

He suggested that the reason medical marijuana is not approved under federal law is because of the pharmaceutical industry's powerful lobbyists.

"In this case, it is clear that the enormously powerful pharmaceutical lobby has no interest in supporting a product that cannot be patented like opioid drugs, because that will cost them a lot of money," he said. "This is just another reason why the people of this country need to throw out the old style politicians who take money from special interests and support candidates who have never, and will never, accept money from PACs and special interests. We need to focus on the people."

Dominic_Gentile_-_Dominic_Gentile.jpg

News Moderator: Ron Strider 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: GOP Senate candidate Dom Gentile supports medical marijuana | AL.com
Author: Howard Koplowitz
Photo Credit: Dominic Gentile
Website: Alabama Local News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - AL.com

Back
Top Bottom