Alabama Medical Cannabis Study Commission Issues Report

The commission was brought into being last year after a failed attempt to legalize medical cannabis in the state. The purpose was to study the issue and make recommendations to the legislature. A report was issued this week. This report contains inaccuracies. It perpetuates some myths and stereotypes. It falls short in some areas and lacks boldness.

Last year's proposed law would have only made THC's levels up to 0.5% legal, barely nudging above the federal 0.3% arbitrary line, itself only enabled by the 2018 Farm Bill. It failed to garner enough support and the bill was gutted in favor of creating the commission.

No recommendation is made regarding levels of THC but the recommendations put forth would severely curb medical use and would not allow for use of flower by the home user or for home growing. The commission seems overly concerned with protecting business and law enforcement interests at the expense of medical users. That said, any step in the right direction from this state is good. Still, I would hope for bolder measures.

The report can be found here in its entirety.

Even if the Feds de-scheduled it (probably not happening in the short term but hopefully on the horizon) they would allow States to decide what was allowed or the rules for it. So unfortunately I could see some of the States in the South and like Utah still having it illegal or they will simply be the last States to legalize it, maybe I'm wrong but that is what my gut tells me.

Even if the Feds de-scheduled it (probably not happening in the short term but hopefully on the horizon) they would allow States to decide what was allowed or the rules for it. So unfortunately I could see some of the States in the South and like Utah still having it illegal or they will simply be the last States to legalize it, maybe I'm wrong but that is what my gut tells me.

Depends on the state, but you are not wrong at all. Utah may go recreational before Alabama introduces real medical (as in not limited to 0.5% THC or some other ridiculous restriction). Utah already has medical, though I don't know all the details. Georgia was relatively quick to begin limited medical access to CBD oil but has fallen behind Florida and W Va. Florida isn't really in the South, though (according to southerners). AL and MS will likely be the last but there is a swelling support for medical access at the least and I'm not sure how long the old timers can realistically keep a lid on it.

The recommendations seem far too draconian for my liking, though progress is progress. I can always count on AL and CA to totally screw up a good thing.

Depends on the state, but you are not wrong at all. Utah may go recreational before Alabama introduces real medical (as in not limited to 0.5% THC or some other ridiculous restriction). Utah already has medical, though I don't know all the details. Georgia was relatively quick to begin limited medical access to CBD oil but has fallen behind Florida and W Va. Florida isn't really in the South, though (according to southerners). AL and MS will likely be the last but there is a swelling support for medical access at the least and I'm not sure how long the old timers can realistically keep a lid on it.

Actually my Niece lives in Utah the voters voted Medical in and the Legislators shot it down/overrode it, as I saw something on her FB page about "that it was BS that they could not do what the voters voted on and got a majority vote on".

Actually my Niece lives in Utah the voters voted Medical in and the Legislators shot it down/overrode it, as I saw something on her FB page about "that it was BS that they could not do what the voters voted on and got a majority vote on".

Unless they completely pulled out they're still ahead of Alabama. Wouldn't take much.

Back
Top Bottom